Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

The GFS and Euro are forecasting a ton of liquid and temps cold enough for significant snow, but I'm not buying it quite yet. It's hard to believe the season's biggest snowfall could happen in the second half of May.

No doubt. In my 10+ years here, the latest I've seen accumulating snowfall is May 19.

A forum for the end of the world.

Rain to snow tonight for me, but not expecting much accumulation if any. Still, if we do manage even a couple inches it could be a problem with fully leafed trees.

The airmass is as cold or colder than any here so late in the season, at least in terms of upper level temperatures in the sounding era. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Still lots of open question here with the system currently moving in tonight. Looks like we may be just a little too far north and east to get the brunt of the moisture and cold air but just slight a slight north or east movement could quickly drop several inches of snow here tomorrow. Tough forecast. Either way it's looking like quite an impressive late spring storm.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Well, looks like the low is pulling in plenty of cold air and moisture. Currently sitting at 30º at noon with heavy snow. Changeover occurred at about 10am with already about 3" of accumulation. Quite surprised to see accumulating snow even on road surfaces in the middle of May during the heart of the daylight hours.

Snow should continue throughout the day with another strong band moving through this evening. Wouldn't surprise me if I approach 8-12" by tomorrow morning. Nice storm!

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I got 1" of snow at my place this morning. It was very heavy and wet. There was some minor tree damage. This was one of the latest snowfalls on record for SLC, with the latest in the airport era being just 7 years ago on May 24, 2010. We were 1F away from the record low this morning and could break the min max this afternoon. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I should add I have also already picked up almost 0.75" of precip since midnight with plenty more on the way. Very potent storm.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

I got 1" of snow at my place this morning. It was very heavy and wet. There was some minor tree damage. This was one of the latest snowfalls on record for SLC, with the latest in the airport era being just 7 years ago on May 24, 2010. We were 1F away from the record low this morning and could break the min max this afternoon. 

Impressive! Seems like a trend of colder and wetter late spring storms in the Rockies over the last decade or so.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Up to 6" of accumulation as of an hour ago here. Had some solar melting in the afternoon hours but it just continues to dump out there. Even downtown Bozeman has recorded 5" of snowfall and 1.04" of precip (both daily records) as of 7pm with the heavy wet snow continuing.

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Kayla, I know there aren't a whole lot of broad leaf trees there (except maybe right in town?), but is there any concern there with the heavy snow damaging leafed out trees? I'm getting a little worried about that here. Looks pretty likely there will be a period of heavy, wet snow tomorrow evening through Friday morning, and everything is almost fully leafed out now.

Some models are showing between 12-18" of snowfall for much of the area, which would be one of the greatest May snowstorms on record. The biggest was probably May 5-6, 1978. That storm dumped 23" on Boulder.

• Like 1

Kayla, I know there aren't a whole lot of broad leaf trees there (except maybe right in town?), but is there any concern there with the heavy snow damaging leafed out trees? I'm getting a little worried about that here. Looks pretty likely there will be a period of heavy, wet snow tomorrow evening through Friday morning, and everything is almost fully leafed out now.

Some models are showing between 12-18" of snowfall for much of the area, which would be one of the greatest May snowstorms on record. The biggest was probably May 5-6, 1978. That storm dumped 23" on Boulder.

Yeah the Aspens just leafed out here last week along with some other broad'ish leafed trees in town. Have had numerous power flickers tonight but still have power! Up to about 4" everything seemed to be doing alright but now approaching 10" and there is definitely a lot drooping but still not hearing or seeing any snapping. We may have lucked out with the leafs not quite at full growth just yet.

12-18?? Wow. I can tell you that this storm has definitely over performed moisture wise but forecasting the snow levels with this system has been a tough call for those below 6,000'. Also very tough to get significant accumulation during the daylight hours in mid May no matter your elevation. Keep us updated on how things shape up for you tomorrow and stay away from those trees!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Ended up with 10" of snow here while downtown ended up with 6". Widespread 1.5-2" 24hr precip amounts around town as well.

Have to wait until the finals numbers are in but yesterday may have been the wettest day of any month since May of 1988 here in Bozeman.

Cold Season 2023/24:

This is a fun storm to track.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It just looks bizarre to me to see heavy snow accumulating on green, fully leafed out trees. 

Are you hearing any cracking from the trees? The snowstorm out here in January brought down quite a few, and obviously that was with everything completely bare. I would imagine you guys are going to end up with quite a mess if the temps stay cold enough for accumulation. 

It just looks bizarre to me to see heavy snow accumulating on green, fully leafed out trees. 

Are you hearing any cracking from the trees? The snowstorm out here in January brought down quite a few, and obviously that was with everything completely bare. I would imagine you guys are going to end up with quite a mess if the temps stay cold enough for accumulation. 

Haven't heard any cracking here yet, but have seen a couple down limbs and lots that are drooping way down. Power has flickered a couple times.

If this keeps up like it's supposed to through tomorrow morning, I'm sure it will be a huge mess.

• Like 1

Haven't heard any cracking here yet, but have seen a couple down limbs and lots that are drooping way down. Power has flickered a couple times.

If this keeps up like it's supposed to through tomorrow morning, I'm sure it will be a huge mess.

Be sure to keep us updated and post more picture and video. Always fun to watch.

Things are definitely quieting down here as we start to settle into the summer doldrums. A chance of some showers tomorrow night, but most of the week looks like fair weather cumulus and highs in the 70s or 80s. At least it will be pleasant most days. 

After the cold front pushed through here yesterday with wind gusts of over 50mph I'm now getting snow this morning. Heavy wet snow with very little in the way of accumulations but noteworthy nonetheless as we approach Memorial Day weekend. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

We had some strong winds and lightning yesterday as some thunderstorms blew through. Much cooler today. 

A friend of mine took this while flying into SLC yesterday. This is over the Great Salt Lake. 

Screenshot_20170524-201501.png

• Like 7

Nice and wet here this month. After monsoon-like storms Thursday night and steadier rain today, I'm at 4.20" on the month. 

Still nothing compared to May 2015, when I had almost 8".

April-June 2015 was spectacular, especially coming from PDX.

90F at the airport yesterday in SLC, probably about 92-93F this afternoon.