Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Winter Storm Watch issued here from Tuesday evening through Wednesday morning for areas above 5,000ft for up to 8" of snowfall...I'm at 5,350'. I don't really see it in the upper levels (700mb temps only drop to -3C) but it sounds like the NWS is expecting a whole lot of dynamical cooling with heavy precip rates so I guess we'll see.

I'm not super excited about these new details.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

More of the same in Phoenix with highs 105-110 for the next little bit. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Another good soaker of a day with 0.46" of rainfall on the day here so far. Great to see after such a dry start to the month. Everything has turned incredibly lush with new growth sprouting everywhere now with this latest wet period. 

Winter Storm Warnings posted for here above 5,500' with up to 12" of snowfall expected tonight/tomorrow. Looks like my roof will be just below the snow line thankfully. With that said, it's going to be an extremely wet a raw day with 1-1.5" of precip and highs struggling to reach the mid 40's.

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Haven't topped 50 degrees in nearly 60 hours straight here now. Been very cloudy, rainy and dreary which is somewhat unusual for here as we approach late June. Currently 48F.

Looks like we'll finally get into the 50's later today with some off and on showers continuing. In what was looking like a warm and dry weekend it looks like we'll continue to see showers through Sunday now with highs in the 60's.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Haven't topped 50 degrees in nearly 60 hours straight here now. Been very cloudy, rainy and dreary which is somewhat unusual for here as we approach late June. Currently 48F.

Looks like we'll finally get into the 50's later today with some off and on showers continuing. In what was looking like a warm and dry weekend it looks like we'll continue to see showers through Sunday now with highs in the 60's.

You must be higher elevation than the Bozeman station.

You must be higher elevation than the Bozeman station.

"Bozeman Airport" is actually in another city (Belgrade) and is 10 miles from Bozeman, 15 miles away from me as the crow flies. It's also nearly 1,000ft lower in elevation. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Hot couple of days coming up reaching the low 80's today and tomorrow but still had a low of 45F this morning. Looking like some strong wetting storms develop tomorrow afternoon through Thursday with highs dropping into the 60's before warming back up again.

Early next week looks pretty interesting with a strong low that wants to cutoff and drop a bunch of rain over the state of Montana and keep things quite cool. We'll see what happens but if the models hold true it would be great news as we head into the "fire season".

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Going to Fort Collins to visit CSU with my youngest and meeting my oldest, who is coming from Omaha. Be there Friday and Saturday before heading back West by way of Jackson and Teton Pass.

Anything we need to see? I will be picking up my supply of fireworks from WY

Horsetooth Reservoir area is nice. And for something out of the ordinary, Swetsville Zoo is worth checking out.

A forum for the end of the world.

Severe warned storm past just to the north of Bozeman today after the warmest day of the year at my house hitting 85 degrees. Some crazy hail pictures from the storm with people sledding on the hillsides and quarter size hail. Picked up 0.25" of rainfall in about 20 minutes at my location.

Cold front passed through and temps quickly dropped down into the 50's. Much cooler tomorrow before warming up again Friday and Saturday.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Not often that we meet the WPC criteria for heavy rainfall but that is just what they are forecasting for Sunday and Monday here. If it and long range trends continue to hold it will completely wipe out any sort of fire threat through at least July. Everything is still lush green, even in the notoriously dry areas.

hazards_d3_7_contours.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Today marks the beginning of a very wet and cool 5 days or so here. SPC has us under a "Slight" risk for severe storms this afternoon out ahead of the cold front to kick things off.

Not often to see a forecast like this as we head into July but it's quite welcome with the area in a moderate drought currently.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.19.19 AM.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Spent yesterday in Ft. Collins visiting CSU. Still here today before heading back to Oregon tomorrow.

Was treated to a (rare for us) batch of storms last night. Went up to Horsetooth Resvr to watch the near constant lightning to the north and west.

Was also treated to a very dramatic sky at sunset. May have cemented my daughter's desire to attend CSU

• Like 1

Spent yesterday in Ft. Collins visiting CSU. Still here today before heading back to Oregon tomorrow.

Was treated to a (rare for us) batch of storms last night. Went up to Horsetooth Resvr to watch the near constant lightning to the north and west.

Was also treated to a very dramatic sky at sunset. May have cemented my daughter's desire to attend CSU

You picked a good time to visit. The storms we got down here were some of the best this year so far, and the .42" of rain I got was the most since early in the month.

All day rain today with a midnight high of 58F here. Currently down to 44F with the rainfall continuing and flooding already occurring in western and central areas of the state. Quite the summer storm.

Cool, wet weather continues through Wednesday before things start to dry out.

Cold Season 2023/24:

High of just 48F with a low of 44F here today, pretty crazy for June 29th. Looks like Bozeman Airport and Bozeman MSU will set some new low max temps for the day as well.

Going on 36 hours of non-stop rainfall with about 1.5" of precip in that same timeframe and it's still raining.

Looks like lows could drop into the 30's tonight as we should see some clearing overnight.

Cold Season 2023/24:

We had a few relatively cool days for Phoenix, with highs near 100. Otherwise June was a warm month. That said, the highest was 112, so it was consistently a little above normal. 

Looks like some showers/tstorms will be possible tomorrow, but mainly SE of me. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Our first moisture surge of the monsoon produced high water content but no rain in Phoenix. Looks boring (dry/hot) for the next week. 

It's going to get ugly down here in the next week with an unbelievably strong ridge building to my NE. Might get some 115-118F days. 

gfs-deterministic-conus-z500_norm_anom-4490400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z500_norm_anom-4490400.png

naefs_2020070512_west_pctl_gh_all_156.png

Still no 90 degree days in Bozeman and that ridge doesn’t look to amplify enough up here to cause the first one of the year either.

Haven’t hit 90+ at my house in almost two years now and I’m starting to think that streak will make it another year.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

"Enhanced" storm risk just east of here today. Tennis ball size hail is likely and even a few tornados. Storm chasers are active. Looks like Bozeman will still see some strong to severe storms that could produce large hail, 60mph+ winds and very heavy rainfall. 

Storms are already popping with the strongest storms slated to hit around 2-4pm.

WeatherStory1.png?d5684bdb38322a1715f18a

Cold Season 2023/24:

Still no 90 degree days in Bozeman and that ridge doesn’t look to amplify enough up here to cause the first one of the year either.

Haven’t hit 90+ at my house in almost two years now and I’m starting to think that streak will make it another year.

Jealous. I don't mind some 90+ temps especially if there's a chance of storms, but we have a brutal, typical Nina summer stretch coming up.

hott.png

Jealous. I don't mind some 90+ temps especially if there's a chance of storms, but we have a brutal, typical Nina summer stretch coming up.

attachicon.gifhott.png

Ugh, that looks rough. Our measurable rainfall streak ends today at 10 consecutive days but fortunately our forecasted temps remain very pleasant for the foreseeable future.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 7.11.08 AM.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Forgot to mention that we had not one but two severe warned storms pass right over our house yesterday dropping quarter size (1") hail both times. There were a few reports of 2" hail in the area as well. Fortunately no damage was done except for stripping the vegetation pretty badly. 

Very active day and it was a fun one to track!

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.38.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.44.06 PM.png

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

68/45 day here yesterday and 73/39 today under wall to wall sunshine. Just absolutely gorgeous summer weather.

We start heating back up tomorrow and will likely top out in the low to mid 80's (about average for this time of year) on Thursday and Friday before dipping into the 70's again this weekend with a chance for storms.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just noticed that the Bozeman Airport has been below average everyday this month with a -5.4 degree departure on the month. Didn't realize we've been running that cool.

Tomorrow and Friday will likely break the streak of below average days though.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just noticed that the Bozeman Airport has been below average everyday this month with a -5.4 degree departure on the month. Didn't realize we've been running that cool.

Tomorrow and Friday will likely break the streak of below average days though.

All good things must come to an end. :(

• Like 2