3/13 - 3/14 Monster March Storm

Tom

Interstate 29 is now closed from Council Bluffs north to about Missouri Valley, Iowa as well as I-680 in Iowa, due to flooding from the Missouri River. The river is expected to crest at 34 feet at Omaha on Saturday.

This stretch flooded back in 2011, and had to be completely rebuilt after that flood.

• Like 2

Was on business in DC ( what a dive that place is) and missed the weather here. Son said y'day sump was running every 7 mins, but now it has stopped. Mud everywhere and just piles of snow left. All in all, the worst of the urban flooding appears to be over. Not so with the rivers... Just over an inch of rain for the event...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Norfolk, along with many small towns, are under a mandatory evacuation. Apparently water in Salt Creek is pretty high in Lincoln as well.

Things are getting worse by the minute flood-wise in this region. The crests on the larger rivers keep increasing with each update. The NWS wasn’t kidding earlier this week when they mentioned “historic” flooding in their discussions.

• Like 2

The occluded front passed through here, & currently a nearly steady temp around 53° with a strong southwesterly wind. Made it up to 57° for a high yesterday. The snow and ice is almost all gone except where the deepest drifts and piles were. The soil must be almost thawed as some of the water drained away.

Flash Flood emergency along the Platte River:

.FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR LOCATIONS ALONG THE PLATTE RIVER FROM
SCHUYLER DOWN TO ASHLAND...

The National Weather Service in Omaha has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Northwestern Sarpy County in east central Nebraska...
Southeastern Colfax County in northeastern Nebraska...
Southwestern Dodge County in east central Nebraska...
Western Douglas County in east central Nebraska...
Northeastern Butler County in east central Nebraska...
Northeastern Saunders County in east central Nebraska...

* Until 145 PM CDT.

* At 1049 AM CDT, emergency management reported a surge of
floodwaters traveling down the Platte River related to a recent
ice jam breakup. Floodwaters will quickly rise 4 to 5 feet along
the Platte River and will quickly flood locations immediately
adjacent to the river. Residents please to quickly evacuate and
move to higher ground now!

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for area around the Platte River
from Schuyler to Ashland, and is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.
SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Fremont, Ashland, Valley, North Bend, Yutan, Inglewood, Morse
Bluff, Leshara, Rogers, Two Rivers State Recreation Area, Fremont
Lakes State Recreation Area, Camp Eagle and Camp Cedars.

This includes Interstate 80 in Nebraska between mile markers 428 and

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

Dam failure along the Niobrara River in northeast Nebraska:

NEC015-089-141745-
/O.CON.KLBF.FF.W.0002.000000T0000Z-190314T1745Z/
/00000.0.DM.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Holt NE-Boyd NE-
1055 AM CDT THU MAR 14 2019

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1245 PM CDT FOR
NORTHEASTERN HOLT AND SOUTHEASTERN BOYD COUNTIES...

At 1050 AM CDT, flash flooding was occurring along the Niobrara
river. This was due to the failure of the Spencer Dam. The latest
information we have is that the dam failed around 5 AM CDT this
morning.

Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Redbird State Wildlife Management Area.

This includes Highway 281 between mile markers 206 and 209.

• Like 1

Chicago just got upgraded to an Enhanced Risk of severe weather with tornadoes being the primary cause (hatched risk). This storm is unreal, it's like 55 degrees outside and yet were still looking at tornadoes based off of the mass amount of shear this thing is producing. I'm pumped!

• Like 2

We are in serious trouble around these parts guys. There are numerous reports of evacuations, water rescues and bridge failures. I'm not hyping this up by any means but we might be in for the greatest natural disaster in Nebraska's history. There was a dam failure up in Spencer, NE, both the fullerton and schuyler bridge on the Loup was taken out. The fork between the Platte and Loup in Columbus is starting to turn into one big river. Places down stream to the East are in serious trouble. The thing about this major flood that is unfolding is the real estate it's covering. I pray for those who are in need of being rescued from the flood waters. My brother mentioned one such rescue outside of Fullerton involved a boat from the fire department getting pushed down stream when they where trying to get a family in. The men got swept down stream and now they are in need of rescue! God speed to all first responders today. 

• Like 4

You gonna be able to make it home?! I don't know where you live but I seen the bridge in Ashland was taken out?! Not sure if that was false news or not.

Yes the bridge is out. Flash Flood Emergency now spans from Schuyler to Ashland. Horrible situation unfolding near the Platte River. Thankfully Salt Creek here is doing alright. Near flood stage but shouldn't get much worse.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

Flash Flood Warning

National Weather Service Omaha/Valley Nebraska

134 PM CDT THU MAR 14 2019

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY CONTINUES FOR LOCATIONS ALONG THE PLATTE

RIVER FROM SCHUYLER DOWN TO ASHLAND...

The National Weather Service in Omaha has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...

Northwestern Sarpy County in east central Nebraska...

Southeastern Colfax County in northeastern Nebraska...

Southwestern Dodge County in east central Nebraska...

Western Douglas County in east central Nebraska...

Northeastern Butler County in east central Nebraska...

Northeastern Saunders County in east central Nebraska...

* Until 445 PM CDT.

* At 130 PM CDT, emergency management has reported a surge of

floodwaters traveling down the Platte River related to a recent

ice jam breakup. It is unknown the extent or location of the

current surge or wave, but residents should prepare for rapid

water level fluctuations. Still, please to quickly evacuate and

move to higher ground now!

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for area around the Platte River

from Schuyler to Ashland, and is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

This includes Interstate 80 in Nebraska between mile markers 428 and

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and

life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are

fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

Move to higher ground now. Act quickly to protect your life.

A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring.

If you are in the warned area move to higher ground immediately.

Residents living along streams and creeks should take immediate

precautions to protect life and property.

US-30 looks like it's closed West of Fremont. jcwxguy should be able to get home, the 275 is fine it looks like. Can't help but feel for the people in the smaller towns along the river who won't have the resources to rebuild.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

My God I didn't know it was that bad there. Rain just changed to snow here. A lot of standing water around here too.

That's because national media isn't broadcasting anything. This was after our Mayor yesterday declared a disaster for the state. Things are gonna get worse before they get better. I'm starting to hear that farmers that were trying to move livestock to higher ground have gotten trapped by rising flood waters. Lincoln rescue teams have made their way to columbus to help out with water rescues. 

• Like 3

Saw this post on Facebook. For those not from Nebraska, Niobrara NE is a small town in north central Nebraska but the Niobrara River that runs by it is well known for its rafting and it has a beautiful state campground that overlooks the Missouri River. My family has gone camping there probably 5x and had reservations there for this June☹️

“West Niobrara is completely obliterated. Both State DOT buildings are gone, Vics Service is gone, Swanson Netwrap Building standing but compromised, Nielsen Grain lost their 40x80 Behlen Quanset and several hay buildings, Country Cafe has only a foot of the roof sticking out of the water, Swanson Storage Building is gone, Knox County DOT Building submerged. Niobrara River cutting new channel right through 12/14 junction, Mormon Canal Bridge floated away, both of Niobraras wells are damaged, Niobrara river cutting new channel through Old Niobrara north of Depot Corner. God help us all.”

• Like 3

A near disaster appears to have been avoided tonight. An attempted water rescue resulted in the rescue boats capsizing with 7 firefighters going into the water. No immediate other rescue units were available. They had to call in multiple helicopters from Lincoln and Omaha including Blackhawk helicopters which eventually rescued the firefighters. Read this thread of updates: https://twitter.com/omaha_scanner/status/1106355952805203970?s=21

• Like 1

This flooding event will go down as a benchmark for how emergency responses should be conducted. Seeing a ton of agencies cooperating with one another, some not even close to where the flooding is occurring. This is how it should be done, and I'm sure they've saved many lives today. Can't control natural disasters, but to a degree you can control how bad it devastates a community. I don't think I've even heard of any deaths directly attributed to the flooding so far.

• Like 3

This flooding event will go down as a benchmark for how emergency responses should be conducted. Seeing a ton of agencies cooperating with one another, some not even close to where the flooding is occurring. This is how it should be done, and I'm sure they've saved many lives today. Can't control natural disasters, but to a degree you can control how bad it devastates a community. I don't think I've even heard of any deaths directly attributed to the flooding so far.

I’ve heard of one death either in Columbus or Norfolk. Someone swept away in the flooding

SE SD on the other hand....good luck!

I guess I should have included good luck Nebraska

This storm was a flop for me but just west of me the story was different. This storm reminded me of the 09 Octobomb in that regard.

Yesterday the entire interstate highway system was impassable to east west travel through the Dakota's, Nebraska, and parts of Colorado!

• Like 2

To add more issues today, Charter Internet is down for many areas of Central Nebraska (I don't know the extent outside of this area).  Our school is among at least 25 school districts that have no internet right now.  I used my personal hotspot on my iphone to teach a lesson.  I have allowed kids with phones to use their hot spots to access their google classroom site, usually phones are not to be used during any class time.  With the other problems in Nebraska this is fairly minor, but just adds to the misery the multiple problems being faced.