Alabama Tornado March 2019

Wxmidatlantic

Looking to discuss formation and share images. It sure can get ugly. Maybe there is nothing more to say and this post just a memorial. I will post a link from NWS Birmingham.  Dont read the replies. The radical Democrats never miss an oputunity for politics. It shows how pathetic they are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSBirmingham/status/1102415856779317250

Best image found of tornado. Not sure of authenticity.

Lee+County+2+tornado.jpg

An image from ground zero.

merlin_151656702_48207b00-b09a-4a5f-aeb0-b0d869186001-articleLarge.jpg

So the time of winter storms is fading. A dangerous time is approaching. Some see the dynamic forces of nature in a tornado, no doubt. If we could simply get them to stay in corn fields.

For those of us who have heard the train, and seen the putrid blackness, our hearts go out. There were many who died in Alabama, ordinary people. One image I felt compelled to share. Maybe now I get it off my mind.

images (7).jpg

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a long time since Texas had the tornado alley capital title. We get them, but it's very different now.

But I recall living most of my life with the threat of these annually.

I've stood in the back yard and watched them bounce over me. Looked up into the center of the vortex. I've stood between 2 as they passed North and South of me, and had one come close to the ground just over my home twisting a mesquite tree like a pretzel. Numerous close calls.

There's nothing you can do to survive them but get underground. Some people build reinforced saferooms above ground, but they are killing machines, nothing short of that.

So, any opinions as to why we are seeing tornado alley shift NE and E ?

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The totality of oceanographic and atmospheric cycles and interaction are unknown. What seems to be a shift ESE may be a normal cycle.

A characteristic of southeast storms is they are deadlier, stay on the ground longer. A key difference with dry line supercells is night time frequency.

That does not mean Texas/Oklahoma is not still Tornado Ally. Let's just hope we never have another 1974.

May 5, 1989 was my close call. Officially an F3, looked like an F4 to me. I was about 1/2 mile from the blackness. Back then there were no phones with video and imaging capabilities. My loss was profound.

The only images that come close is the Wilson NC video caps. An afternoon tornado has a unique contrast of light and blackness, total destruction and serenity.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

The last 15 years our nighttime severe storms have been far more common than daytime.

Little to no hail, and fewer tornados.

I grew up with them bouncing all around me.

Spent more than my share of severe storms in a small closet.....till I said to hell with it, " I want to watch the show!"

I've been watching ever since.

I've seen the entire horizon turn a greenish black, almost a black-olive.

Looked like the apocalypse. And baseball sized hail fell out of it with 75 mph winds.

Amazing, but I'll pass on any more.

It's just that living here all these decades, it's clear to me our storm patter has changed.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*