April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Omegaraptor

I would like to think I know a few things.  You know, basic math, basic english, how to please a woman. Hell, I may even be the best meteorologist in a half block radius.   But let's set all that aside.  Let's talk about something real important.

Let's dissect a creature so lewd, so crude, so rude, he acts like a prude.  This dude: High Desert Mat

High:  Yep, he usually sniffs glue before he posts here.  And I know in the past he has been known to smoke the sacred grass.

Desert: Yep.  Whenever a girl sees him, it gets pretty arid in the nether regions.  Very desert-y, I must say.

Mat:  Yep. I normally wipe my shoes on him daily.  And when he gets too dirty, I give him the hose again.

Thoughts?

Huh.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I would like to think I know a few things. You know, basic math, basic english, how to please a woman. Hell, I may even be the best meteorologist in a half block radius. But let's set all that aside. Let's talk about something real important.

Let's dissect a creature so lewd, so crude, so rude, he acts like a prude. This dude: High Desert Mat

High: Yep, he usually sniffs glue before he posts here. And I know in the past he has been known to smoke the sacred grass.

Desert: Yep. Whenever a girl sees him, it gets pretty arid in the nether regions. Very desert-y, I must say.

Mat: Yep. I normally wipe my shoes on him daily. And when he gets too dirty, I give him the hose again.

Thoughts?

Well alrighty then...
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Let's dissect a creature so lewd, so crude, so rude, he acts like a prude. This dude: Dome Buster

High: Yep, he usually sniffs glue before he posts here. And I know in the past he has been known to smoke the sacred grass.

Desert: Yep. Whenever a girl sees him, it gets pretty arid in the nether regions. Very desert-y, I must say.

Mat: Yep. I normally wipe my shoes on him daily. And when he gets too dirty, I give him the hose again.

Thoughts?

Fixed. (Even though it breaks the pun).

• Like 1

I would like to think I know a few things. You know, basic math, basic english, how to please a woman. Hell, I may even be the best meteorologist in a half block radius. But let's set all that aside. Let's talk about something real important.

Let's dissect a creature so lewd, so crude, so rude, he acts like a prude. This dude: High Desert Mat

Thoughts?

It puts the lotion in the basket....

• Like 1

Thoughts?

Judging by your posts and the time of day they usually happen, I would assume it's YOU who intoxicates before posting.
  • Like 1

Thoughts?

What did I do to get roasted? Who are you Josh? You think you’re Jom Morrison or someone that has a little liquid courage? Hmmmm, keyboard cowboy!!

• Like 1

It's safe to assume that most posters on here are under some kind of influence most of the time.

#methinmoderation

Very few on here have actual jobs.

It looks like you’re trying to prove something.

This must be nuts. And here I thought 3 minutes of snow w/ CTG strikes was epic. Can’t imagine 3 hours of it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/codymatzfox9/status/1116375936079933443

Difference in SSTAs between Niño Aprils that went onto be multiyear events and April’s following single year events that transitioned.

No surprise here..Indo-Pacific colder in cases that remained +ENSO. This year is (so far) following the multiyear +ENSO script.

dQsVV97.png

cdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1.png

17YUlFt.png

Still doesn't make sense at solar minimum though.  We normally see a single warm ENSO year just after solar minimum.  Multi year would be rare if not unheard of.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I absolutely hate this pattern we are in.  I'm started to feel suffocated by the endless gloom.  No doubt we in a very streaky regime this year.  When we get into a given pattern it hangs on tenaciously.

My favorite pattern this time of year is troughy, but with a lot of clearing and cold nights.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Still doesn't make sense at solar minimum though. We normally see a single warm ENSO year just after solar minimum. Multi year would be rare if not unheard of.

I think it depends on the amplitude of the solar cycle and the timing/inertia of the IPWP/thermocline sloshing in conjunction with the QBO.

Notice the IPWP vacillation (120E-170E, lags solar cycle by around 3 years) has dampened as the solar cycle has weakened. It appears we’re seeing the solar minimum response now.

http://www.climate4you.com/images/PacificSST.gif

I had a friend who frequented LSD and can confirm that. Glad I never touched it. Stay natural my friends.

I would never try that.  My brain is way too active.  I have no doubt LSD would give me a bad trip.  I think one of the most cruel pranks I've heard of is people slipping LSD to their friends without them knowing it.  You could totally mess somebody up that way.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Note the IPWP is still extended right now, unlike both 2009 and 1997 at this time (solar minimums). This suggests the +ENSO has longer to run, since further retraction would suggest termination of the +ENSO and we’re not seeing that right now.

Which brings us to the recent IO warming and the termination of the super +NAO last winter (was the first winter without a raging +NAO since 2013). Both are large shifts away from the background state of the last several years. And if it’s a real move, it’s a prelude to a future move into a multiyear La Niña/-PDO/-NAO type pattern by the early 2020s, if history has anything to say about it.

Looks like Tim is about to be woken up by a downpour.

B)

I missed it.    But then it would be hard to tell the difference since it has been pouring here all week.

The rain has been relentless up here for the last 8 days.    And it has been basically non-stop since Monday.    Same thing happened last year in early April.   

It gets silly like this here at times here... maybe 1-2 times a year when it will rain for 5-7 days without stopping.   Just have to grin and bear it... its the price of admission.    

Anecdotally... it also seems like we are rewarded nicely after these periods.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If I include the rain so far today... looks like about 8.5 inches at Cedar Lake station in the last 8 days.

And now above normal for the entire month here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I was just joking around about the inversion earlier... but is it known what the latest inversion that’s ever happened here is?

The marine layer in June is caused by an inversion. There is no such thing as the latest inversion ever.

I absolutely hate this pattern we are in.  I'm started to feel suffocated by the endless gloom.  No doubt we in a very streaky regime this year.  When we get into a given pattern it hangs on tenaciously.

A couple weeks of true gloom was probably to be expected after February and March.    It was unusually sunny in those months.

B)

I missed it.    But then it would be hard to tell the difference since it has been pouring here all week.

The rain has been relentless up here for the last 8 days.    And it has been basically non-stop since Monday.    Same thing happened last year in early April.   

It gets silly like this here at times here... maybe 1-2 times a year when it will rain for 5-7 days without stopping.   Just have to grin and bear it... its the price of admission.    

Anecdotally... it also seems like we are rewarded nicely after these periods.

It's been similar here except I'm closing in on 6 inches rather than 8 for the month. It was needed though. Winter was so dry, especially February, that there were widespread brush fires in March. That has been put an end and reservoirs which were once behind are now filled to the brim and ready to go for summer.

And as snowwizard said last night, things have been very streaky lately (there's not really a better way to put it IMO). So I would bet we end up having a warmer and drier than normal period coming up soon. And as reliable as megaridges are here in the warm seasons lately, I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

• Like 1

It's been similar here except I'm closing in on 6 inches rather than 8 for the month. It was needed though. Winter was so dry, especially February, that there were widespread brush fires in March. That has been put an end and reservoirs which were once behind are now filled to the brim and ready to go for summer.

And as snowwizard said last night, things have been very streaky lately (there's not really a better way to put it IMO). So I would bet we end up having a warmer and drier than normal period coming up soon. And as reliable as megaridges are here in the warm seasons lately, I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

February was actually above average precip wise for the Portland area. We saw about 4” of rain.