April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Omegaraptor

Cant say I know who this domebuster character is.

He's a super duper liberal millennial who enjoys copious amounts of bubble tea and wears a beanie. 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest CulverJosh

He's a super duper liberal millennial who enjoys copious amounts of bubble tea and wears a beanie.

Definitely would be a friend of mine. Soyboys are my boy-toys.

Well I was gonna quote my own Euro post but I accidentally deleted it. :/

The operational has decent support from the EPS for some sort of troughy pattern starting late this week. So that’s something.

Gotta like the 12z trends overall.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Definitely would be a friend of mine. Soyboys are my boy-toys.

He has a fetish for injecting people with soy and wrapping them up in American flags. Quaint, wouldn’t you say? Anyway, I am sure you two are very well acquainted

Anyway, you’re both soyboys, correct?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta like the 12z trends overall.

Luckily the EPS shows a quick exit of trough... hope its right.  That is only for people who don't care for 40-degree rain/snow mix in May.   Which is the vast majority of the population of course.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Luckily the EPS shows a quick exit of trough... hope its right.  That is only for people who don't care for 40-degree rain/snow mix in May.   Which is the vast majority of the population of course.  

Yeah it looks pretty progressive which isn't surprising for the time of year. At face value, the pattern over the next ~10 days shows a perfect variety in my opinion.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Luckily the EPS shows a quick exit of trough... hope its right. That is only for people who don't care for 40-degree rain/snow mix in May. Which is the vast majority of the population of course.

I couldn’t give a flying f*ck what the vast majority of the population thinks. :D

Tool.

• Like 1

I couldn’t give a flying f*ck what the vast majority of the population thinks. :D

Tool.

Yeah... I actually enjoy ice cold rain in May but just want to be part of the majority.

Stupid.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Then why do you think like them, Jesse?

Cause of Domebuster’s ancient creed.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Something to do with raping soyboys right?

No! Of course not. Just millennial ones, if I remember correctly :(

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Looking like a pretty significant cold trough slated for the end of the month.  The 18z GFS was really impressive.  Probably pretty 1950s like.

I am so glad that abomination of a pattern we just endured is finally over.  I absolutely hate endless gloom in April.  I have for years and it only gets more unbearable to me as I get older.

In other news the subsurface profile for the tropical Pacific continues to become less favorable for a long lasting El Nino.  Barring any WWBs in the near future a late spring peak for Nino 3.4 is probably a good bet.  I still think if next winter is neutral we are going to see a really cold one.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looking like a pretty significant cold trough slated for the end of the month.  The 18z GFS was really impressive.  Probably pretty 1950s like.

I am so glad that abomination of a pattern we just endured is finally over.  I absolutely hate endless gloom in April.  I have for years and it only gets more unbearable to me as I get older.

In other news the subsurface profile for the tropical Pacific continues to become less favorable for a long lasting El Nino.  Barring any WWBs in the near future a late spring peak for Nino 3.4 is probably a good bet.  I still think if next winter is neutral we are going to see a really cold one.

The 18z backed off on the cold anomalies. The 12z showed record cold in many areas for 4/28.

The 18z backed off on the cold anomalies. The 12z showed record cold in many areas for 4/28.

It’s close to what it was. Either way it looks cool at this point. I guessed it would be getting warmer and drier as we head into May but you just never know.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s close to what it was. Either way it looks cool at this point. I guessed it would be getting warmer and drier as we head into May but you just never know.

Might depend on your area. The 12z showed a high of ~48 for my lat/long on the sounder on 4/28, while the 18z shows ~55. Still below average for late April, but nowhere near record breaking.

Might depend on your area. The 12z showed a high of ~48 for my lat/long on the sounder on 4/28, while the 18z shows ~55. Still below average for late April, but nowhere near record breaking.

Taking the 240 hour highs on the GFS at face value is ALWAYS a good idea.

No, he actually just calls it as it is. If someone is being a turd he jumps on that. Problem is, when someone is being a turd, they aren't blatantly saying it but rather using backdoor tactics like context and timing so you can't identify exactly what it is. This way, they can just turn around and say he's crazy for thinking that. But we all know he's right.

That’s just flatironing.

Timism........ doting on a western weather forum when you’re on a beautiful beach in Hawaii.

One more Timism..... if you were on a deserted island, you’d still find a way to get a router.

:lol:

Really liking the looks of the trough depicted on the GFS and ECMWF on the 0z.  Much more sun and some colder nights with that than the recent pattern.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Really liking the looks of the trough depicted on the GFS and ECMWF on the 0z. Much more sun and some colder nights with that than the recent pattern.

Would really like to see this one pan out. Definitely not what I was expecting at this juncture given the ENSO outlook, etc.