4/10 - 4/12 Plains/Upper Midwest Powerhouse Blizzard

Tom

Was out and about in town briefly and the RN mixed with a fair amount of cotton balls. First snow I've seen falling in Marshall since I recorded 0.1" of graupel on 3/16. After such a nice stretch, I'm glad we're not really stacking flakes with this thing like some of y'all

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

First legitimate thunderstorm of the season is underway. Thankfully the hail core missed me a few miles to the West. Any hail where you are, Snowstorm?

Went ahead and flipped my signature to Summer mode.

We briefly had small hail at UNL for a couple minutes. I appreciate thunderstorms a lot more after a real winter, I'm enjoying it. 

• Like 4

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

The storms to our southwest are very quickly congealing into a large complex of severe thunderstorms, which I didn't expect. I figured the storms would be more isolated or more cellular in nature as they passed through. Weather radio has already gone off twice with two separate Severe Thunderstorm Warnings for Sarpy County... so it's getting real around here. 

Getting some vivid lighting and loud thunder currently here in Southwest Omaha already out ahead of the storm complex. I forgot how much I love the sound of thunder. Hoping the large hail cores stay away from my neighborhood at this point though. 

• Like 4

Based on radar one of the severe storms is running into the rain/snow line. If that actually changes that would be some crazy snow amounts.

NE Nebraska is seeing ZR as the precip type. Doubt we see any snow from the strong cells.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

This reminds me of a setup from almost exactly 6 years ago (April 9th, 2013) when a severe and damaging thunderstorm/hailstorm hit my neighborhood and a large portion of West Omaha. Severe storms hit with golf ball plus sized hail when the air temp was around 38 - 40 degrees.

That storm damaged our roof and gutters so badly we needed everything replaced that summer which was a giant pain... I am personally hoping we do not see anything like that around here tonight.

I was just going to post about that storm. I "only" had ping pong ball sized hail, but I believe there were some reports of up to baseball sized hail in town as well. Definitely remember it for how cold it was outside!

We had an April storm take out our roof and gutters about 5 or 6 years ago too. And an early May storm take out our roof and siding about 3 years ago. Yep- my neighborhood is unlucky.

Do you remember what time of the day it was? I could look it up on radar archives.

Exactly 2 years ago early April 10th I was rudely awakened from sleep by hail & wind pummeling our area. It broke some of the house windows and vinyl siding, but not to major here while other folks lost most of their siding on the west sides. Had around 3 damaging hail storms pass through our area that year while we usually go many years without any bad ones.

• Like 1

Do you remember what time of the day it was? I could look it up on radar archives.

Exactly 2 years ago early April 10th I was rudely awakened from sleep by hail & wind pummeling our area. It broke some of the house windows and vinyl siding, but not to major here while other folks lost most of their siding on the west sides. Had around 3 damaging hail storms pass through our area that year while we usually go many years without any bad ones.

It was during the late evening hours, around 9-10pm if I remember correctly.

Thankfully only saw some brief heavy rains, lots of lightning and thunder, and some pea sized hail with the thunderstorms last night.

• Like 1

You guys have all this exciting stuff, and I’m just here reporting moderate rainfall amount - lol! A little burst of rain came through this morning, pushing the storm totals so far up to 0.47”.

I’m not getting my hopes up for a severe storm this evening, but I’m pretty hoping for a strong storm. Heck, I’ll settle for any storm!

• Like 2

Thunder, lightning, snow, sleet, rain, wind, we've got it all this morning! Another round of thundersnow set to move through shortly.

Marathon-Wood-Portage-Waushara-
811 AM CDT Thu Apr 11 2019

...ANOTHER ROUND OF THUNDERSNOW EXPECTED THIS MORNING ACROSS
CENTRAL AND PORTIONS OF NORTH-CENTRAL WISCONSIN...

Snow was continuing across portions of Wood, Portage and
southeast Marathon counties this morning. However, radar
and surface observations indicated another cluster of
thunderstorms with heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain
approaching central Wisconsin. This cluster of thunderstorms
will move across the area through 10 am. Motorist can anticipate
very poor visibilities around a quarter of a mile or less and
snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour in the heavier snow
showers. Roads are expected to be snow covered and slippery,
thus allow extra time to reach your destination this morning.
Strong east winds will also continue this morning, with gusts
to around 40 mph can be expected.
  • Like 4

Impressive snow rates with the cells of thundersnow that moved through this morning. That's 5.5" in 2 hours at Wausau. Wow!

0615 AM HEAVY SNOW PLOVER 44.45N 89.53W
04/11/2019 M 6.3 INCH PORTAGE WI BROADCAST MEDIA

0633 AM HEAVY SNOW WAUSAU 44.96N 89.63W
04/11/2019 E 8.5 INCH MARATHON WI BROADCAST MEDIA
REPORT COURTESY OF WSAW-TV IN WAUSAU. APPROX 4 INCHES SINCE 5 AM.

0715 AM HEAVY SNOW WAUSAU 44.96N 89.63W
04/11/2019 M 9.9 INCH MARATHON WI OFFICIAL NWS OBS
REPORT FROM WSAW TV.
  • Like 5

I think the May one was evening? I know all the neighbors were home.... could have been a weekend though. And yes the siding on the north and west sides of the house had to be replaced completely and a couple pieces on the south side. A lot of neighbors used the opportunity to change the color of their houses.... so I guess it worked out for some. Adding in that the April one was mid morning.
  • Like 1

10" for my backyard at around the time I was returning from the gym. A little snow won't stop arm day! That's more than double the forecasted amount.

633 AM     SNOW             5 E WISCONSIN RAPIDS    44.40N 89.74W

04/11/2019  M 10.0 INCH       WOOD               WI   TRAINED SPOTTER

THUNDERSNOW ONGOING

facebook_1554990300409.jpg

• Like 6

I'm less than an hour south. My house will be full of friends playing in the worlds largest trivia contest http://www.90fmtrivia.org/ this weekend. I don't think we'd even notice one more. Even grilling a turkey on the weber Saturday.  ;)

9 inches already at Granite Peak and they're going for one more weekend. Anyone near Wausau want to let me crash at your place for $40 a night or something? lol.

As for the weather. Snow has transitioned to more of a sleet/rain mix.

• Like 2