The West Coast Continues to Build Stress

We hear this from time to time, but the bottom line is that the west coast continues to build up stresses on those faults and eventually something big will let go. I for one don't want to be around when it does. Could be a 7.8+

A series of tiny quakes rattling California and the Pacific Northwest may signal an upcoming catastrophic earthquake, seismologists say, KOIN reported.

The tremors are indications of a “slow-slip” event, says Ken Creager, a University of Washington professor, KOMO reported.

“These plates are basically moving half an inch over the course of a couple days, so it kind of jiggles enough that our most sensitive instruments can feel,” Vidale said, according to the publication. “But people can’t.”

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article230765154.html#storylink=cpy

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

They're common events, however the proponderence of evidence probably points to a pattern. As these occur and grow in frequency and/or strength along a given fault the stress will build. Eventually, it will have a major slippage in a weak spot.

I'm of the opinion the weakest point is in the Cascade area right now. It's just too quiet. Considering the big quake in Japan that created the tsunami, I'm curious as to whether the cascade area will respond in kind? It's just been too quiet for my comfort.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

• 2 weeks later...

Quake swarm continues. Opinions vary as to whether this means a larger quake is on the way.

But this must be unnerving.

More than 430 tiny temblors have rattled Southern California in the past 10 days or so, some just strong enough to be felt by residents, LAist reports.

But the swarm of earthquakes hitting the Inland Empire, stretching from eastern Los Angeles to the Mojave Desert, probably doesn’t indicate a major quake’s on the way, KTLA reported.

“This is just a place where the earth sputters along instead of letting go all at once,” seismologist Lucy Jones wrote on Twitter.

The two largest quakes, registering 3.4 and 3.2 magnitude, took place Sunday afternoon, KABC reported. Other earthquakes have reached as low as 0.8 magnitude.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nation-world/national/article231151893.html#storylink=cpy

“People ought to be concerned,” said Hauksson. “This is probably the most prolific swarm in that area of the Fontana seismic zone that we’ve seen in the past three decades.”

There have been more than 700 earthquakes recorded in the Fontana area since May 25, ranging from magnitude 0.7 to magnitude 3.2, recorded Wednesday at 5:20 p.m., according to Caltech staff seismologist Jen Andrews. Three of the quakes have been of magnitude 3 or greater.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-swarm-fontana-glen-avon-20190608-story.html

IMG_3750.JPG

• Like 1