Summer Forecast Contest 2019

Time for the summer forecast contest, as we hope to see summer arrive some time this year in what's been the coolest and wettest May in decades for California and pretty much all of the Southwest

Predict the monthly anomalies for June, July, and August, at these locations:

You've got until Monday, June 3 to make your guesses

SEA (Seattle, WA)

OLM (Olympia, WA)

PDX (Portland, OR)

CQT (Downtown LA)

DEN (Denver, CO)

DCA (Washington D.C.)

• Like 1

If you use the following format it will be easier to calculate the winner. Each location has 3 numbers separated by commas. Also a comma between location name and the first prediction (June)

Location, JUN, JUL, AUG

SEA, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

OLM, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

PDX, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

CQT, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

DEN, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

DCA, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

IIRC, I screwed up CQT so magnificently last year that it cancelled out my win at DCA. So I just downloaded the historical monthly data from there, and am going to compare it to the 500mb reanalysis before I make a prediction this time. Haha.

Time for the summer forecast contest, as we hope to see summer arrive some time this year in what's been the coolest and wettest May in decades for California and pretty much all of the Southwest

Predict the monthly anomalies for June, July, and August, at these locations:

You've got until Monday, June 3 to make your guesses

SEA (Seattle, WA)

OLM (Olympia, WA)

PDX (Portland, OR)

CQT (Downtown LA)

DEN (Denver, CO)

DCA (Washington D.C.)

Thanks Mr Marine Layer for making the summer forecast contest thread. I'll be playing again this year. I pretty much know what I'm going to put down for the PNW locations but will need to research a bit for the other ones especially DCA. I did horrible last summer for that particular location.

Thanks Mr Marine Layer for making the summer forecast contest thread. I'll be playing again this year. I pretty much know what I'm going to put down for the PNW locations but will need to research a bit for the other ones especially DCA. I did horrible last summer for that particular location.

Add an extra degree onto your guess for DCA and you should be fine, lol.

• Like 1

SEA: +1, +1.5, +2

OLM: 0.0, +0.5, +1

PDX: +0.5, +1, +1.5

CQT: -1, 0.5, 0.5

DEN: -1, -1, 0

DCA: +2, +1, +3

No idea actually... but it does not feel like a cool summer is ahead.

Yeah, a cool summer ain’t in the cards this year (sadly). Though at least it won’t be a scorcher like the last several summers..more zonal flow.

And if the niño is delayed by a year, then next summer probably won’t be cool either, given we’ll have descending easterly shear by then (warm season-aleutian low conduit).

Yeah, a cool summer ain’t in the cards this year (sadly). Though at least it won’t be a scorcher like the last several summers..more zonal flow.

And if the niño is delayed by a year, then next summer probably won’t be cool either, given we’ll have descending easterly shear by then (warm season-aleutian low conduit).

What will at that point be almost a decade with no cool summers seems reasonable.

that would be interesting if the El nino ends up being delayed would also say that this is a long dip into an solar min.

What will at that point be almost a decade with no cool summers seems reasonable.

Weak solar forcing has its benefits and its drawbacks as it relates to the decadal cycle of the equatorial axis of the Indo-West-Pacific Warm Pool, which is the primary regulator of your summer climate.

One of those drawbacks is that it slows the cycle and dampens the amplitude, which, although it drains the warm pool and slows Indonesian throughflow, it also prolongs the phase of eastward extension (which is the phase it’s in now).

That extended phase is waning, but we’ll need one more El Niño to complete the westward retraction. I was originally thinking that El Niño would occur in 2019/20, but (pending the culminating amplitude of the ongoing upwelling OKW upon completion) it might be delayed a year, to 2020/21, with the multi-year initiating during the summer of 2021.

Weak solar forcing has its benefits and its drawbacks as it relates to the decadal cycle of the equatorial axis of the Indo-West-Pacific Warm Pool, which is the primary regulator of your summer climate.

One of those drawbacks is that it slows the cycle and dampens the amplitude, which, although it drains the warm pool and slows Indonesian throughflow, it also prolongs the phase of eastward extension (which is the phase it’s in now).

That extended phase is waning, but we’ll need one more El Niño to complete the westward retraction. I was originally thinking that El Niño would occur in 2019/20, but (pending the culminating amplitude of the ongoing upwelling OKW upon completion) it might be delayed a year, to 2020/21, with the multi-year initiating during the summer of 2021.

Can’t find many decade long stretches of warm summers during past solar mins.

Can’t find many decade long stretches of warm summers during past solar mins.

We haven’t seen the sun this weak since the tail end of the LIA. Not sure there’s a viable comparison to be made there.

You’d probably have to go back to the inception of the sporer minimum, which bookended the MWP.

Here are my predictions (Last edited May 31)

Location, JUN, JUL, AUG

SEA, +2.0, +1.5, +1.3

OLM, +1.8, +1.3, +1.5

PDX, +1.5, +1.6, +1.8

CQT, -1.3, +0.3 ,+0.5

DEN, -1.0, +0.8, +1.1

DCA, +3.2, +2.6, +2.2

A hint for you. There is almost no chance OLM ever has a warmer anomaly than SEA.

Location, JUN, JUL, AUG

SEA, +2.4, +2.1, +3.1

OLM, +2.8, +2.3, +2.9

PDX, +2.1, +2.5, +2.7

CQT, +1.3, +1.5 ,+1.8

DEN, +.6, +1.8, +1.5

DCA, +2.2, +2.6, +2.5

Not sure if it will end up a warm or cool summer... but I am pretty sure that OLM will not run warmer than SEA either way.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA:  +2.5, +1.1, +0.7

OLM:  +1.4, 0.0, -0.2

PDX:  +1.8, +1.4, +0.6

CQT:  +0.2, +0.4, -0.2

DEN:  -2.7, -1.1, 0.0

DCA:  +3.2, +2.8, +2.0

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Location, JUN, JUL, AUG

SEA, +1.6, +2.2, -0.8

OLM, +1.0, +1.8, -1.0

PDX, +1.4, +2.2, -0.6

CQT, +0.2, +1.0, +0

DEN, -0.8, +0.3, +0.8

DCA, +2.6, +1.2, +3.2

My average for both SEA and PDX for the 3 months is +1.0 and OLM is +0.6. Basically an average of between (-1 to +1) which I consider a normal summer and cooler in the past several years. I'm pretty much the only one going with negative departures for the PNW locations in August so I'll need to hit that to have any chance of winning.

Unnecessary comment.

Not at all.   Golden rule is that OLM will always run cooler than SEA in terms of anomalies.   Jared will confirm.   ;)  

I won last year.

I just checked... it appears that Frontal Snowsquall won last year.   You were not even in the contest.

Snowsquall went really warm and it worked out great.    I over-corrected for my warm bias.    :)

summer.png