June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

It feels like forever since there has been a sunrise here. I think the last time there was sun in the early morning was on 6/13. Tuesday has a possibility to break the streak. But a new streak will probably start the next day. So much for enjoying the longest days of the year.

This post makes no sense. Why do you need the Sun blasting at 5AM? It still rises even if it’s behind clouds.

The majority of summer days here start out with low level clouds for the first 30-45 minutes as well, due to boundary layer moisture. Rare to get a clean sunrise.

2010 Tim?

It has been a 2010ish period lately.    Hopefully we start to break out of it now.   A 2-week stretch of gloomy weather in June is not too unusual here.  But its one of least favorite aspects of this climate.   I dislike it more than anything that happens in the winter.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This post makes no sense. Why do you need the Sun blasting at 5AM? It still rises even if it’s behind clouds.

The majority of summer days here start out with low level clouds for the first 30-45 minutes as well, due to boundary layer moisture. Rare to get a clean sunrise.

Yeah... I am talking about until noon at the earliest.     I would not even notice the first 45 minutes of the day.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... I am talking about until noon at the earliest. I would not even notice the first 45 minutes of the day. :)

Okay, at least that’s sane.

Still, wanna trade? At least your weather changes.

ULFYq4t.jpg

Okay, at least that’s sane.

Still, wanna trade? No storms, no fronts. Just swamp.

No... I just want some mid 70s and sunshine.     Normal high is 73 right now.   Even upper 60s and sunshine would be great.   Don't care about the temp as long as there is some sun.   It was gloomy and 58 here today.   

It is what it is though.   Can't change the weather.   

38.67 inches for the year so far at the Cedar Lake station... 71% of normal.

crazy how much rain the west slopes of the cascades get. We’ve had 42.75” of rain since January 1st 2018.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Sun comes up everyday...

I saw a glimpse of it today for about 45 seconds.   It appears to still be on its regular schedule.

Most people out here don't even know fireflies or lightning bugs even exist. It sounds like unicorns to them. Magical and mythical creatures.

There are no fireflies or lightning bugs in Western Washington, so....

I didn’t argue otherwise. But nice deflection.

No westerners use the term firefly.. gimme a break.

I’ve always heard the term firefly. Never otherwise. Unless all my friends and neighbors are actually East Coast transplants.....

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

You alluded to the fact they actually existed here so....

They do, we just don’t have any lampyridae species that light up like east of the Rockies.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I’ve honestly never seen fire flies in my life.

Currently 56 and cloudy here.

What a shame. They’re one of the few aspects of summer that are actually enjoyable to me.

Tend to peak around the summer solstice too, so even when the Sun is down there’s a natural light show ongoing in the trees from dusk to dawn.

We don't have them here so it doesn't matter at all, not really sure why it was brought up in the first place in this forum.

Blah blah blah. Go pound sand.

I’ve always heard the term firefly. Never otherwise. Unless all my friends and neighbors are actually East Coast transplants.....

You’re good. GhChris is just a nitpicky antisocial princess.

What a shame. They’re one of the few aspects of summer that are actually enjoyable to me.

Tend to peak around the summer solstice too, so even when the Sun is down there’s a natural light show ongoing in the trees from dusk to dawn.

I just haven’t traveled back east much. Only been to Chicago and Houston. Other than that I’ve been to WA OR CA Idaho and western Montana (only including the lower 48).
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Love reading for the debates. Some good, some really bad. I for one live for the lightning bugs to light up the sky here in Redmond every summer. It’s almost daylight when they really start up.

Another note is that the mosquitoes here are really impressive compared to the east coast as well. I’m thinking of moving east of the Rockies just to escape them so I can get some of my blood back. Good grief.

• Like 1

Nice evening. Already down to 56 after a high of 70. I could live with this weather being the default all summer. But I know we will start roasting again soon, so better enjoy it while it lasts.

I would feel differently if I lived down there. 

Its already down to 56 there... but that was basically the warmest it got here today.     15 degrees below normal out here in the Snoqualmie Valley.  

00Z ECMWF has definitely locked in on the more troughy solution for next weekend.   

Still looks pretty decent on the surface maps though because the trough is just offshore... basically dry with highs in the 70s.

These inane arctic temps are absolutely awful. Not a single 95+ or even 90+ day in the forecast. Pitiful. Why can’t we just have constant sharp ridging?

Anyone rooting for that s**t is stupid.

What’s the point? Sweat a lot + crappy sleep quality?

Looks like some warmth at the beginning of July, but just seasonal. Most likely mid-80s for the valley. Then the ensemble line dips back toward normal by the end. Not a bad period coming up!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.