July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

What a beautiful day though! It’s only 80° currently with a dew of 66°. Feeling nearly perfect IMO, but perfect would be a heavy t. storm right now! lol Yesterday was the transition day with a high of 87°. The lawns are showing a hint of brown already.

The euro has now removed all rain here Tuesday.  The next small chance is next weekend.  One hope in the long term is the tropical system.  The euro continues to track it farther west.  Last night's run brings the remnant low up through Iowa.  That's a long way off, though.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

My area in in another Flash Flood Watch for this evening. Several inches of rain on top of saturated soil won’t help the fields in the area that have standing water. My yearly precipitation is now at 28.25”, (normal for the entire year is 25”), so if we get a couple inches we jump over 30”. Absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

After reaching 93* today, a line of showers are moving across he state.

Sitting at 83* right now, rain. Nice change from the heat.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Not a big rain event so far, but nice clouds.

I find. It interesting when I get to see the clear blue sky peek through the clouds. It's reassuring to know that behind all that active weather, there's clear blue waiting for us.

Makes me want to jump through the hoop. :)

IMG_3798.PNG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

This area of heavy rain has been just sitting there all afternoon W of DFW area raining like crazy while we get drizzle and thunder.

Nice atmosphere but very little of the wet stuff.

:/

Getting rocked here again. Reports coming in of 5-8” of rain already fallen just west of me in Gosper and Dawson county. Fields will probably be destroyed in this area if they weren’t already from the other night. I had .50” in 15 minutes this afternoon now we’ll over an inch with much more coming.

Just placed in flash flood warning for potentially 3-5 more inches. Mercy.

• Like 1

Prayers for you all up there. Sounds like a rough night.

Thank you so much. This is like 1993. It is raining as hard as it can rain right now. Fields had standing water yesterday so I can’t even imagine what things will look like tomorrow morning. Radar looks like several more hours at least of heavy rain. Town of Elm Creek, 20 miles north of me along I80, needs sand baggers to save some businesses from what the scanner is reporting.

Have heard reports of over 8” with more rain coming. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear of 10”+ in spots by morning.

• Like 2

Scanner is saying cars stranded In water on highway 183 in Holdrege. Also, family is in a kayak or canoe in Kearney as their entire house is flooded, report from the local scanner. This summer will go down in the history books for sure.

Thinking of you folks over there. Wow that's tough! Be safe tonight!
  • Like 1

There is a guy on Twitter that listens to the scanner and tweets out great information. Water rescues happening all over. Reports of fairly widespread 5-9”and it is still pouring in most places. Still hearing reports of a family stranded in their house in Kearney but rescue personnel haven’t found a way to get to them. I guess the father is disabled and they have small children. Things il never thought I would be hearing on the Great Plains. The last time I looked at my gauge it had over 5”. A few miles north of town there are reports of 9”. Most i seen reported was 10” south of Lexington. Wow.

• Like 2

NWS Hastings along with various media reporting many roads are impassable as of 12:30 AM. Highway 30, a major east west road, is impassable for almost 20 miles west of Kearney towards Lexington. Scanner now reporting that a car is completely underwater on the south Holdrege underpass and are hoping the occupants got out. Have to bring a diver. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

Same areas that have gotten pounded over and over lately got it again tonight. You'd think mother nature would even that out a bit at some point but it's not happening. I'm in GI and we've been bone dry compared to you guys. Only got a quick storm out of this whole thing and it's not the first time lately.

• Like 1

Reports of roads completely underwater and sand bagging in towns around here. Looks like the a you may need an Ark around here it’s raining so hard. My goodness

It seems like this year is feast or famine.  Not long ago, it wasn't looking good as far as precip but when nature turns it "on", she certainly can pour buckets from the sky.  Hope you and your family are doing well out there.  Flash Flooding is extremely dangerous, especially during the overnight hours.  It's always sad to hear of water rescues and you hope lives are not lost.  Hang in there bud.

Btw, I can imagine what the fields look like along I-80 as I remember when I drove through there a few years ago.  The whole area must look like a huge lake now.

It seems like this year is feast or famine. Not long ago, it wasn't looking good as far as precip but when nature turns it "on", she certainly can pour buckets from the sky. Hope you and your family are doing well out there. Flash Flooding is extremely dangerous, especially during the overnight hours. It's always sad to hear of water rescues and you hope lives are not lost. Hang in there bud.

Btw, I can imagine what the fields look like along I-80 as I remember when I drove through there a few years ago. The whole area must look like a huge lake now.

My gauge said over 6” and was tipping at the top. 5 miles north had 9”. Our front 9 of the golf course is underwater. If you’re interested, Nebraska.tv and kearneyhub.com will have pictures and videos of the flood damage.

• Like 2

I always find it funny how quickly things start to dry out after just a few days of no rain. Go a month where it rains every other day.. but as soon as we go 5 days in a row without rain, everything gets dried up.

Our lawns are definitely losing some of their green.  If we miss the scattered cells this evening, it may be another ten days without rain.  By then, the lawns will be turning brown.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Our lawns are definitely losing some of their green.  If we miss the scattered cells this evening, it may be another ten days without rain.  By then, the lawns will be turning brown.

Yup. I played softball last night, and the field was as hard as a rock. Just found it crazy that it was so dry already.

Also, my garden is doing well right now, and I don't like how little rain we'll be getting. Obviously watering it will help, but nothing is like some good ol' rain for the plants.

• Like 1

It is now getting ridiculous. We were just placed in a flash flood watch through tomorrow morning as possibly another 1/2” could fall tonight but there is a chance of upwards 1-2”. We are currently in a flood warning until 5 pm.

That's crazy. Seems to play out like that often unfortunately.

Keeping good thoughts for you guys up there.

This has been a seriously tough year for farmers and residents.

Stay Safe.

• Like 1

Yup. I played softball last night, and the field was as hard as a rock. Just found it crazy that it was so dry already.

Also, my garden is doing well right now, and I don't like how little rain we'll be getting. Obviously watering it will help, but nothing is like some good ol' rain for the plants.

My garden really needs a drink by now since I didn’t get the recent rains you got. But the rich black Iowa soils hold moisture much better/longer than in many states.

Southern part of Kearney seems to be the worst hit location due to its flat nature and the rest of the town sits higher. Town drains south towards I80 and the Platte River. Pictures and videos are shocking. NE State Patrol Twitter has some remarkable images along with NWS Hastings Twitter if you’re interested.

https://twitter.com/nestatepatrol/status/1148671980109017088?s=21

• Like 1

New flood warning until 3 pm tomorrow.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

Flood Warning

National Weather Service Hastings NE

301 PM CDT Tue Jul 9 2019

Smith KS-Phillips KS-Clay NE-Franklin NE-Phelps NE-Adams NE-

Kearney NE-Buffalo NE-Gosper NE-Dawson NE-Furnas NE-Harlan NE-

301 PM CDT Tue Jul 9 2019

The National Weather Service in Hastings has issued a

* Flood Warning for...

Northwestern Smith County in north central Kansas...

Northern Phillips County in north central Kansas...

Southwestern Clay County in south central Nebraska...

Franklin County in south central Nebraska...

Phelps County in south central Nebraska...

Adams County in south central Nebraska...

Kearney County in south central Nebraska...

Buffalo County in south central Nebraska...

Gosper County in south central Nebraska...

Dawson County in south central Nebraska...

Furnas County in south central Nebraska...

Harlan County in south central Nebraska...

* Until 300 PM CDT Wednesday.

* At 257 PM CDT, emergency management, broadcast media, and

emergency dispatch continued flooding in across much of the warned

areas. Widespread, excessive rainfall from last night will

continue to runoff leading to continued flooding overnight. Some

of the most impacted areas include Buffalo and Dawson

County...especially the city of Kearney... and northern Furnas

County.

* More thunderstorms tonight may lead to additional runoff and

flooding concerns as the ground is completely saturated in most

places.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...

Kearney, Lexington, Holdrege, Cozad, Minden, Gibbon, Ravenna, Alma,

Cambridge, Shelton, Arapahoe, Franklin, Elm Creek, Kenesaw, Oxford,

Bertrand, Axtell, Elwood, Beaver City and Overton.