October 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Gorgeous clear sunny morning.

Finished October pretty cool.

Low @32*. Beautiful frost sparkling on the grass.

We'll see a High of 61* today. Climbing to near 70* over the next 5 days.

Pretty typical for us as fronts move through then warming.

I'm waiting to get clobbered with a snowy front this year !

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I just came back from a morning stroll around the neighborhood and I gotta tell ya, this is quite the shock to the system! Those gusty N winds and snow blowing in your face definitely had a bite to it. I'm sure by next week we will all have been acclimated to the cold. What a way to finish off October. Something I'll remember for a while. #WhiteHalloween

Agree - will definitely remember this Halloween. Hey Tom - can you post snow totals for each of the last 3 Decembers?

From the NWS Hastings Twitter page showing Grand Island and Hastings as their 1st and 2nd coldest 5 day stretch in history (Oct. 27-Oct. 31).  They don't have it for my smaller town, but I know that we were colder, especially for overnight lows and some of the highs.  

https://twitter.com/NWSHastings/status/1190328968026697728?s=20

• Like 4

From the NWS Hastings Twitter page showing Grand Island and Hastings as their 1st and 2nd coldest 5 day stretch in history (Oct. 27-Oct. 31). They don't have it for my smaller town, but I know that we were colder, especially for overnight lows and some of the highs.

https://twitter.com/NWSHastings/status/1190328968026697728?s=20

Very impressive. Congrats on witnessing more history! I love it!

• Like 1

From ibrChris on this forum....

"A new October record low temperature for the lower 48 states was set this morning when Peter Sinks, Utah fell to -45.5 between 2:15 and 2:30 am. The previous record was -34.5 set on October 28th (two days ago). The record prior to this year was -33 at Soda Butte, WY (Yellowstone National Park) on Oct 29, 1917.

The record for the entire US including Alaska is -48 at Clearwater, AK on Oct 31, 1975. Additionally -44 was recorded at Chandalar Lake, AK on Oct 26, 2008 and Clearwater, AK on Oct 30, 1975"

That's 11 degrees. We're in a new era, for sure.

It was broken twice in one week. Crazy.

• Like 3

Agree - will definitely remember this Halloween. Hey Tom - can you post snow totals for each of the last 3 Decembers?

TBH, I don't know or have a site where to look that up. Maybe @WestJim or someone can look it up.  If someone can post a link to a site where we can look up snow totals I'd appreciate it.

That’s incredible Okwx ! I’m gobsmacked.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

TBH, I don't know or have a site where to look that up. Maybe @WestJim or someone can look it up.  If someone can post a link to a site where we can look up snow totals I'd appreciate it.

I found this......hope this helps.....

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_seasonal_snow

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_Dec_Snow_Rankings

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Thanks Niko. So while this is unofficial based on O’Hares numbers for the this most recent 2 part system, I can report that mby has received more snow the last 2 days of October than it did the last 2 December’s combined (2017 5.3, 2018 1.4).

• Like 1

Thanks Niko. So while this is unofficial based on O’Hares numbers for the this most recent 2 part system, I can report that mby has received more snow the last 2 days of October than it did the last 2 December’s combined (2017 5.3, 2018 1.4).

You bet! ;)

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I assume you mean for Chicago.

ORD SNOWTOTALS LAST 3 DECEMBERS-

2018-  1.4"

2017-  5.3"

2016-  17.7"

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Some stats from my weather station in my backyard for October:

Avg low: 38.1

Avg hi: 58.2

Norm hi: 41.6

Norm low: 64.7

Departure: -5.0

5.43" of moisture (normal is 2.15")

.7" of snow (first snowfall 10/28)

Coldest low: 17.8(31st)

Warmest hi: 76.1(18th)

Quite the turnaround from September where it was the 3rd warmest September to being 5 degrees below normal in October. Another month well above average for precip but everything except for .21" of the moisture fell in the first 10 days. These normal readings are from the airport so there is a bit of variability in the temps, etc compared to my backyard as I'm about 8-9 miles from the airport.

• Like 1