December 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Timmy Supercell

Looking on wunderground, K-Falls has even had Novembers between 4-8" of precip. Nov 1995 had 8.78"! Impressive for an arid climate.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

That’s a misframing. Believe it or not, the AO/NAM is always a primary driver of your weather, but its effects vary significantly and nonlinearly depending on other wave structures and forcings (reflected via local, smaller-scale teleconnective EOFs such as the PNA and EPO).

So you probably won’t find any linear correlation between the AO/NAM and PNW winter weather, but they are most certain related. ;)

Okay. Jan 1950 neutral AO. January 1969 -AO. December 2008 +AO
  • Like 1

Okay. Jan 1950 neutral AO. January 1969 -AO. December 2008 +AO

Exactly. And how would those months have evolved had something perturbed the AO into another state beforehand? Probably quite differently.

The NPAC is a wide conduit line for meridional and vertical heat/mass/momentum flux exchange(s). Change the functional boundary conditions and you alter the progression of the waveguide/train.

Courtesy of Brian Schmidt. Very sobering list.

78654688_2863403907011321_19679228378595

1978/79 wasn’t bad. Could be a sample size issue there as well since you have many different solar/QBO/warm pool states in there.

Definitely some QBO influence showing up, though.

F*ck.

In a way, this winter is like a repeat of last winter except with an opposite QBO and muted (but similarly-structured) ENSO state. Otherwise there are no meaningful differences.

An interesting experiment.

Exactly. And how would those months have evolved had something perturbed the AO into another state beforehand? Probably quite differently.

The NPAC is a wide conduit line for meridional and vertical heat/mass/momentum flux exchange(s). Change the functional boundary conditions and you alter the progression of the waveguide/train.

I think you lost me. It matters but it doesn’t
  • Like 1

Guest CulverJosh

Already 10-15” of snow widespread over here due to this splitting regime. I think the wildcard this year may be rapidly deepening lows. How often has the west coast experienced a 970 mb low that moved NW to SE in the last 50 years? Been a strange late fall.

I do wonder sometimes what January 1950, January 1969 and December 2008 would have been like if things had been different...

What things?

Nah. I’m good. We’ve had great months with both positive and negative AO. And I don’t see a correlation between the AO in the months preceding those

If you don’t want to learn, I can’t force you. Clearly you haven’t even attempted to consider the information I’ve presented.

You won’t be able to predict variations in the PNA/etc in advance if you’re relying on 1-to-1 correlations. News flash, the PNA is not an independent variable..it is dependent on factors that manipulate the NPAC wavetrain, including the antecedent state of the NAM/AO, amongst many others.

• Like 1

About half the snow (8" at 9am) has melted! Let's thaw out these frogs.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

If you don’t want to learn, I can’t force you. Clearly you haven’t even attempted to consider the information I’ve presented.

You won’t be able to predict variations in the PNA/etc in advance if you’re relying on 1-to-1 correlations. News flash, the PNA is not an independent variable..it is dependent on factors that manipulate the NPAC wavetrain, including the antecedent state of the NAM/AO, amongst many others.

Just don’t have time now.

ENSO, PDO, QBO, PNA, MJO, NAO, EPO, UHI, low solar, AO, AAM, GLAAM, MAWS

RcwZxNm.gif

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Guest CulverJosh

I believe this is what the kids refer to as telling on yourself.

He tries to wow with these big words. I used to have a friend that did this. He was insecure and wanted my approval he was smart. I told him I will figure it out without all the strange words.

I envy the people on the East Coast. They don't have to practically beg for active weather every year because it's practically guaranteed. I came across an easterner who was complaining about getting "only" 49 inches of snow last year. I about wanted to scream.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest CulverJosh

I envy the people on the East Coast. They don't have to practically beg for active weather every year because it's practically guaranteed. I came across an easterner who was complaining about getting "only" 49 inches of snow last year. I about wanted to scream.

There is a trade off. Trust me.

• Like 1

We can’t get forecasts correct inside of 24 hours. It’s all gobbledygook in the long range.

You'd be surprised how well MFR did in the Jan 3-4 2017 snowstorm. Our local TV weather in Klamath is less than half great and I'm glad we have a NWS just 80 miles west of me.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

I envy the people on the East Coast. They don't have to practically beg for active weather every year because it's practically guaranteed. I came across an easterner who was complaining about getting "only" 49 inches of snow last year.

Don’t lump us in with those inland Northeast and New England crybabies. I average a measly 20”/yr and would be satisfied with anything over 12”. We’ve only had one brief snow shower so far this season, and that was back in early November (might see a little more tomorrow but barely conversational).