12/15 - 12/17 Plains/OHV Slider

Tom

00z UK is not quite there yet, but it's a huge improvement from recent runs.

Some of that high qpf near KC is from before the Monday system.

us_model-en-087-0_modgbr_2019121200_144_5660_220.png

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Euro takes a baby step N (compared to 12Z) but system fizzles as it moves E. Still a good hit for Clinton. One can see some of the same features with GFS and EURO through HR 90-96 and  then vast differences between the two after that. Probably go with a blend of the two for now which is a close call for many reading (is not that nearly always the case?)

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

One thing that "may" (and I use that term loosely) bode well for the GFS is that it appears the Euro is catching on to the idea of colder air for middle to end of next week. Something the GFS has seen for sometime. Euro now has it 9F at MSP for noon on WED when the 00Z run 24 hours ago had it 35F.

• Like 5

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

06Z GFS is less amped and thus doesn't cut as hard and is SE compared to 00Z GFS. If the 12Z continues the trend (no upper air soundings in 06/18Z runs) then I think the GFS is going Euro and the rests way. Which (if so) is kinda what many would think with the GFS being on an island.

DMX's take on it (I think most reading this could write the following- tell me something i don't know)--

Sunday night through Monday afternoon, another deep trough develops
over the west. A surface low will develop with this system, but
while models vary on the exact location, the low will be south of
the state. However the GFS especially lifts the low to our southern
border thus lifting moisture across southern Iowa, spreading snow
across southwest and south central Iowa then northeast through the
rest of the day. The ECMWF keeps the surface low and moisture
further south with almost no precip over our forecast area. The GFS
is by far the most bullish on this so confidence is not high. We
have chance PoPs going right now and that`s reasonable.

• Like 2

Euro takes a baby step N (compared to 12Z) but system fizzles as it moves E. Still a good hit for Clinton. One can see some of the same features with GFS and EURO through HR 90-96 and  then vast differences between the two after that. Probably go with a blend of the two for now which is a close call for many reading (is not that nearly always the case?)

That would put me right on the 6in line and I will gladly take that.  My hope was to get between 2-5 out of this system so this would be a win if it happens like this.

• Like 1

6z GFS mean not that different from the Euro just wetter.

1576627200-DqepR6QNbok.png

Slowly but surely the models are starting to show similar "looks"...lets see if today's 12z suite will continue that trend...last nights 00z GDPS also got wetter across the Plains/S MW region...

• Like 2

Fingers crossed the snow that fall may stick around for awhile. 

TBH, I really hope it does lay down a lot of snow in the Plains/S MW states bc that will help "cool" temps in the region and negate any warming of the pattern up this way.  It bodes well for both of our regions going forward.  Spread the wealth around a bit with this storm system.

• Like 3

TBH, I really hope it does lay down a lot of snow in the Plains/S MW states bc that will help "cool" temps in the region and negate any warming of the pattern up this way.  It bodes well for both of our regions going forward.  Spread the wealth around a bit with this storm system.

White Christmas are rare down here on average only about a 10% chance on any given year.  If I can land 4 or more I should be locked in for a white Christmas.

• Like 2

Euro can tend to be stubborn dry with the snow precip. It certainly was for Vet's Day. It may have finally caught on late-game, but I don't remember tbh since I was focused on the SR models by then. 

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

GRR on board?? Unusual for this office this far out...

"Significant snow event possible (looking more likely) Monday

afternoon into Tuesday. Colder with lake effect into Wednesday

The GFS has been forecasting this for nearly a week now and the
ECMWF has since the 10th /00z run been bringing the storm closer
to us on the operational runs. The 12/00z run brings snow to GRR
from the ECMWF. Since this is polar closed upper low dropping
south into and southern stream system, this could be power house
storm
. We will have to watch this closely."

• Like 2

Gorgeous morning and sunrise in North Texas.

38* clear and calm. High of 59*.

Just another day in Paradise.

This doesn't do the sunrise justice. It was deeper red and purple and covered the horizon 180*

Just awesome!

IMG_4052.PNG

• Like 5

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

It's been awhile now since I have posted but since we are finally looking at some potential storms I thought I would chime in. Have been looking at the modeling and trying to understand why they are so much different from each other. From a novice point of view I can only assume that the Pacific Jet has been playing "major" havoc on the modeling and will continue to do so until they get a handle on this.

There will be storm early next week, that is a given, but the details probably will not be ironed out until at least Saturday so each run of the models will most likely continue to waffle until then.

The storm that has me intrigued is the one showing up around Christmas Day as this has the potential of being a powerhouse for many of us.

Looking forward to a over performing winter season. Get your parkas and snow blowers ready as we ride winter into the record books...hopefully!

• Like 4

NOAA mentioning next weeks storm......

Yet another system will then track near the southern Great Lakes
from the four corners Monday and Monday night. GFS and ECMWF remain
far apart with their solutions but the main story will be that a
strong low may track through the Ohio Valley region which would put
southern MI in the colder, deformation region of the low. Depending
on how far north or south it tracks will determine how far north
precipitation can reach and what ptype will occur. The piece of the
jet that will be responsible for this storm isn`t set to reach the
NW conus til Saturday night so may be some time before models really
start converging on a track.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

The GFS has already backed off the sharpness of the energy as it moves into the west compared to last night.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

By Friday and especially Saturday, there should (hopefully) be a better handle on this storm per model runs.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"