December 28th/29th Potential Plains/Great Lakes Cutter

clintbeed1993

We definitely aren't hurting from lack of soil moisture here, but I'll gladly take some rain again. Maybe your soil moisture is much lower than here? It just barely dries off this time of the year.

We never have dry soils during this low sun angle season. Sure we have more trees, but even out in the plains I would imagine any perceived dryness is only at the surface. Can't imagine real drought conditions persisting. Snow also adds moisture when it melts. I'll take snow this time of year. Keep the rain for April showers.  ;)

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Exactly. Dryness in the winter is overrated.

We never have dry soils during this low sun angle season. Sure we have more trees, but even out in the plains I would imagine any perceived dryness is only at the surface. Can't imagine real drought conditions persisting. Snow also adds moisture when it melts. I'll take snow this time of year. Keep the rain for April showers. ;)

• Like 1

We never have dry soils during this low sun angle season. Sure we have more trees, but even out in the plains I would imagine any perceived dryness is only at the surface. Can't imagine real drought conditions persisting. Snow also adds moisture when it melts. I'll take snow this time of year. Keep the rain for April showers. ;)

Snow doesn’t add much moisture if soil has already frozen. That’s why there is often some flooding during snowmelt in the spring especially when combined with rainfall. Another thing, we sometimes do have dry soils and drought if it’s dry going into the cold season (which wasn’t the case for a number of years) as ANY precipitation oftentimes won’t penetrate if it’s frozen. Basically, we really don’t need much precipitation during the winter on frozen soils. The main agricultural benefit with snow that I can think of is to insulate plants etc. And of course some peoples livelihoods depend on snow plus many other reasons to like snow! Sometimes it’s beneficial to have deaply frozen soils to freeze out some pests. Just yesterday I was trying to dig out some some soil from the field to fill in some low spots around the house, and I had a hard time getting it with my heavy skid steer loader as it was frozen surprisingly hard yet! But it was bare soil and I doubt grass covered areas are frozen much anymore. End of boring rant! Lol

• Like 1

GFS has about 2" of rain at LNK followed by 1-2" of snow. Big yikes. Double the December precipitation average in one storm and it falls as rain. My layover back home on the 29th is at MSP, so I'm watching the track closely. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

I am riding the line with the Euro, much better with GFS. All runs put down a lot of moisture. Euro has 1.5” of precipitation in all different forms. Canadian wants to put most down as sleet and freezing rain. It will be fun to see how it plays out. Even if we get a decent snow, it won’t stick around long.

All the models this evening have slowed the system a bit and are showing a secondary piece of energy rounding the base of the trough and shooting up into the lakes Sunday.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Hastings NE

245 AM CST Thu Dec 26 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH FOR POTENTIAL ACCUMULATIONS OF ICE AND SNOW

FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...

.A storm system will cross Nebraska and Kansas Friday through

Sunday...and it will bring a variety of precipitation types.

Precipitation will begin as rain Friday afternoon and then change

over to freezing rain...sleet...and snow over parts of the area

Friday night into Saturday. Current amounts of snow and ice are

preliminary and will undergo changes today and tomorrow...as

forecast details come into better focus...and confidence increases

further.

Those with holiday travel plans should remain alert with the

weather and closely monitor future forecasts.

Phillips-Valley-Greeley-Nance-Sherman-Howard-Merrick-Dawson-

Buffalo-Hall-Hamilton-Gosper-Phelps-Kearney-Adams-Furnas-Harlan-

Franklin-

Including the cities of Phillipsburg, Ord, Greeley, Spalding,

Scotia, Wolbach, Fullerton, Genoa, Loup City, Sherman Reservoir,

Litchfield, St. Libory, Central City, Lexington, Cozad,

Willow Island, Gothenburg, Kearney, Grand Island, Aurora, Elwood,

Johnson Lake, Holdrege, Minden, Hastings, Cambridge, Arapahoe,

Oxford, Beaver City, Hollinger, Alma, Orleans, Franklin,

Campbell, and Hildreth

245 AM CST Thu Dec 26 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE

SATURDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow

accumulations of 2 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of at least

one tenth of an inch possible. Winds could gust as high as 35

mph.

* WHERE...Portions of north central Kansas and central and south

central Nebraska.

* WHEN...From Friday evening through late Saturday night.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Blowing snow could

significantly reduce visibility.

• Like 2

The 00z Euro still painting a massive blizzard for the Great Plains/Dakotas and Upper MW region of MN.  I'm noticing the model is picking up on an important feature that has cycled already multiple times this season which is Slowing down the storm and occluding over the GL's.  It literally takes 3-4 days to track through our Sub.  The Hudson Bay block setting up shop is causing this storm to just sit and spin near the GL's region.  Those who initially miss out on the snow and get rain in MN/WI eventually may get lucky to see some wrap around snows as the storm occludes.

sn10_acc.us_nc.png

00z Canadian looks similar...

sn10_acc.us_nc.png