Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Everything aside, it's pretty d**n cool that we are even looking at the potential to get hit in the coveted mid-January time frame.

We've also seen the weather do a 180 from ridging and split flow hell the last two months to storms, copious mountain snow and chances of arctic air down the road.

Lots to be happy about.

• Like 7

Everything aside, it's pretty d**n cool that we are even looking at the potential to get hit in the coveted mid-January time frame.

Yeah lots of things to be thankful about! No split flow...lots of rain and mountain snow...and maybe some lowland snow in a week!
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yes, Tim, this is about your seal of approval for maps and not about your posting style.

I can see you're going to keep the charade up as hard as you can so I'll do everyone a favor and be done with my replies here.

This is nuts... just can't win.    Too emotionally charged here. 

I think I am being respectful and honest and fair... but it does not matter.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I agree with this... it seems like no matter how it plays out at this point its going to end pretty good for people who have snow-starved in January for most of their lives.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pete Carroll Clapping.gif

Come on!!! Fkn bridge!!!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

BTW...

This sh*t has gone public. Got two unrelated text messages this morning asking if there was a huge snowstorm coming next weekend.

yeah...my mom as well as a couple of my buddies saw snowflakes on their phone weather apps. Been getting lots of questions.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

BTW...

This sh*t has gone public. Got two unrelated text messages this morning asking if there was a huge snowstorm coming next weekend.

I've had a few friends send me some "whats up with the snow next week" texts in the last 12 hours too.

Thx iphone weather app.

GEFS has been digging a lot of energy west under the block towards day 10.

GEFS is actually better than the GFS in that regard though... less undercutting on the GEFS.

I'm waiting on the Euro to tell my parents.

The EURO will be very telling. We have the car packed ready to go with essentials I case we need to go to a safehouse in Failshington County to ride this out.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You all leave "Dry Guy" alone!! We need clear, un-equivocating objectivity! For example, if Oprah wants to give each of us a car, but it's not a Tesla, we should be informed it's not that great in comparison! That wouldn't be wrong..it would be truth! And we should always be made aware of the truth! 

You keep being you, "Dry Guy"!

I'm waiting on the Euro to tell my parents. 

I already told my parents because we might need to come up with a plan.   My dad just had hip replacement surgery and they need to get to physical therapy every day.   He also cannot be out there shoveling.    This is a little concerning because they live on a hill and prefer to just stay home when the roads are icy and they cannot do that for the next couple weeks.    My mom is 80 now and she has really become conservative with driving.     

EC still fine thru day 5. Beyond that I’m not gonna worry too much.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

BTW...

Not the cashier at Lowe’s this morning...I was buying a new snow shovel and new faucet covers since one of my existing ones broke yesterday and she asked me if it was supposed to snow...I said yes! She said she hasn’t heard anything about any snow and it’s not going to because she hates driving in it.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Not the cashier at Lowe’s this morning...I was buying a new snow shovel and new faucet covers since one of my existing ones broke yesterday and she asked me if it was supposed to snow...I said yes! She said she hasn’t heard anything about any snow and it’s not going to because she hates driving in it.

I presume you then hit her with your new shovel?

• Like 1

I've been lurking here for years and rarely post, but let me just say this about the ridiculous Tim criticism.

1) You've all added about 100x more attention and energy to these "negative" posts than they would've had if people just read them and moved on. So now 80% of the posts are about how you don't want to hear certain posts. Seems like the whining is doing exactly the opposite of what the whiners claim they want, MAYBE they just like having something to complain about because they love being a victim.

2) We all say we love to see long range forecasts that show major events; wind, snow, etc. Most of us will add "yeah, we know this is probably a fantasy, but it's fun to look at." Why is that okay, but posting long range forecasts showing moderate trends suddenly unrealistic and inappropriate?

3) Tim can't make you feel a certain way, you choose to feel how you feel. So giving this guy as much power as you do is your own problem and it's your personal choice.

4) From what I can gather, Tim doesn't control the weather, so, he can downplay whatever he wants and it's not going to change what is actually going to happen. You might say "Well he's dumping cold water on all of the excitement!!" to that I would say, go read number 3 ... he only dumps cold water on it if you let him. 

5) I don't know Tim, never met Tim, never talked to Tim, don't even know if Tim is his real name. You guys all seem to have a major crush on this dude and you really NEED his approval. Why not ignore the posts you don't like if you are on here for the hype, if you're on here for the updates know that some updates may not be what you want to see.  But, by all means, get over your obsession with what Tim posts and stop droning on and on about his posts that you don't like, all it does is promote said posts.

Thank you.

Everything I wanted to say but its meaningless coming from me.  

I agree with Sean here.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Where did you bury the body?

Maybe PM your answer...

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I've been lurking here for years and rarely post, but let me just say this about the ridiculous Tim criticism.

1) You've all added about 100x more attention and energy to these "negative" posts than they would've had if people just read them and moved on. So now 80% of the posts are about how you don't want to hear certain posts. Seems like the whining is doing exactly the opposite of what the whiners claim they want, MAYBE they just like having something to complain about because they love being a victim.

2) We all say we love to see long range forecasts that show major events; wind, snow, etc. Most of us will add "yeah, we know this is probably a fantasy, but it's fun to look at." Why is that okay, but posting long range forecasts showing moderate trends suddenly unrealistic and inappropriate?

3) Tim can't make you feel a certain way, you choose to feel how you feel. So giving this guy as much power as you do is your own problem and it's your personal choice.

4) From what I can gather, Tim doesn't control the weather, so, he can downplay whatever he wants and it's not going to change what is actually going to happen. You might say "Well he's dumping cold water on all of the excitement!!" to that I would say, go read number 3 ... he only dumps cold water on it if you let him.

5) I don't know Tim, never met Tim, never talked to Tim, don't even know if Tim is his real name. You guys all seem to have a major crush on this dude and you really NEED his approval. Why not ignore the posts you don't like if you are on here for the hype, if you're on here for the updates know that some updates may not be what you want to see. But, by all means, get over your obsession with what Tim posts and stop droning on and on about his posts that you don't like, all it does is promote said posts.

Uh oh, trigger alert!

Unfortunately this post was a waste of time. You didn't share a map that was -20 at the 850 level that burried the entire region in 18 foot snow drifts. So this will be ignored.

• Like 3