2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Today was a cloudy Santa Cruz, sunny Monterey today. The opposite of what's usual there. Microclimates within microclimates.

Here, LAX tends to be sunnier than PV and Redondo with Manhattan Beach in the transition zone. The Redondo/Torrance/PV coast is typically the last place to clear out and the first to cloud over. PV itself also often wears a cap of low clouds as the ocean air is lifted over the hills there which reach 1000' in some places. I often see a ribbon of low clouds that extends for miles inland just north of PV, probably channeled in by the wind, while everywhere else the clouds evaporate much sooner.

It’s particularly noticeable when the wind is from the SW or WSW, both pretty typical of this time of year. But when it’s more from the NW, we may be sunnier than the LAX area.

Looks like a stronger inversion today.

66 in MB and 68 in Culver City, in mid August, in full sun. That’s like late April. I can’t remember any other time it was like that without being stuck in heatwave fog. There’s hope for a mid-late week warmup down to the coast but I’ll believe it when I see it.