The Weather Forums

2020 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weather may have been boring, but at least tonight's sunset was not boring.  

My video of the big Thunderstorm that directly hit the Santa Maria Valley on Saturday.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbzVZXqEn2Q&feature=youtu.be  

Last day of May today. One more month of boring weather before hopefully an active monsoon season.

Posted Images

Marine layer was at least 3500 ft deep this morning, but it cleared out nicely with the weak inversion.

Looks to be boring for a while (even for one of the boring climates there is) with no sign of any monsoonal moisture.

Spent yesterday afternoon-evening at Mission Bay down in SD. Some marine layer stratus floating around, but nice and cool, definitely not what I'm used to inland.

My personal weather station: Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2

2020-2021 Season Total: 0.00" (as of 9/20/20)

2019-2020 Season Total: 15.82"

2018-2019 Season Total: 15.84"

2017-2018 Season Total: 4.63"

2016-2017 Season Total: 15.18"

2015-2016 Season Total: 8.12"

2014-2015 Season Total: 10.09"

California Water Year/Rainy Season measuring period runs from July 1 to June 30.

lacv2020.gif

Quite the mid-July dip.

Somewhat similar situation to 2001.

California Water Year/Rainy Season measuring period runs from July 1 to June 30.

Today was a cloudy Santa Cruz, sunny Monterey today. The opposite of what's usual there. Microclimates within microclimates.

Here, LAX tends to be sunnier than PV and Redondo with Manhattan Beach in the transition zone. The Redondo/Torrance/PV coast is typically the last place to clear out and the first to cloud over. PV itself also often wears a cap of low clouds as the ocean air is lifted over the hills there which reach 1000' in some places. I often see a ribbon of low clouds that extends for miles inland just north of PV, probably channeled in by the wind, while everywhere else the clouds evaporate much sooner.

It’s particularly noticeable when the wind is from the SW or WSW, both pretty typical of this time of year. But when it’s more from the NW, we may be sunnier than the LAX area.

Looks like a stronger inversion today.

66 in MB and 68 in Culver City, in mid August, in full sun. That’s like late April. I can’t remember any other time it was like that without being stuck in heatwave fog. There’s hope for a mid-late week warmup down to the coast but I’ll believe it when I see it.

This weekend and early next week looks a lot like 2015 with the hot days and very warm nights. Lets see if this forecast holds by then.

hot hot.PNG

Both 2011 and 2013 had a similar pattern where summer started off cool and cloudy and then things really spiked in August and September. Fingers crossed for Summer 2020 to finish with a bang.

Mornings when low clouds cover San Diego County and parts of Orange County while playing hooky on Los Angeles County seem to indicate northwest wind upwelling events and we have had quite a few of those this summer. Could be the reason LAX struggles to reach 70 each day even with abundant sunshine.

Could have another pick and choose your climate event this weekend with beaches near 70 and a 20 minute drive inland near 100 for the high temperatures.

Now a forecast low of 70F next Monday Night/Tuesday Morning? Last time there was low of 70F or warmer in Santa Maria was during the 2017 Labor Day Weekend heat wave which brought in muggy dew points and pop up thunderstorms like the AZ Monsoon.

07a097eed1a3856a0a19e3257a2d183338c32409

Looks like the Sepulveda Wall is running again today. The breeze was coming in through my window as early as 7am which never bodes well for beach clearing. Always breezy these days; can’t remember the last time we had a proper evening glass-off.

It's likely that immediate coast could have some record low maximum temperatures today. Wow!

And yet inland areas are near normal. Woodland Hills and Winnetka at a toasty 95. Once you get about 10 miles from the water the cold anomalies are gone. Definitely looks to be the work of unusually cool ocean waters.

99F here yesterday, 98F today. Nothing out of the ordinary for August.

Looking more and more like the heat is going to stay for a while. Lows look unusually warm. Thursday is going to be humid and cloudy due to remnants of a Tropical storm moving into California.

heat indefeintely.PNG

What will happen to the iced over ocean waters with the upcoming heat wave?

It only takes a few days of respite from upwelling wind events to get them climbing again, so we shall see. We saw this a few times in the spring.