2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Zero visibility starting pre-dawn in MB. The fog is gone over me, but it hasn’t yet cleared all the way to the beach. No wind yet, so there’s a good chance it will.

I can feel the higher dew points too. Felt damp, almost muggy when I took my morning walk.

Update 10:14 am: fog has given way to haze. The sea breeze onset is later than it’s been, too but it’s kicking in. Might not clear the beach today.

I can tell by the breeze that SSTs must be recovering: off a cool sea the wind is dry and stiff like an AC at full blast. It feels balmy and damp in comparison. Very comfortable in the not-quite-immediate coast area (Gardena/Hawthorne).

Around 2pm or so most of the low clouds had cleared out of the MB area.

If upwelling brings up nutrients for diversity of marine life, why are the best snorkeling areas in tropical locations with warm water?

Warm water is clear water. And it’s much more comfortable to be immersed in without a wetsuit. Also, coral reefs bring the life to them in otherwise nutrient poor seas.

Heavy haze. 8 degree temp difference from the coast to 2 miles inland. Microclimates have been more pronounced than usual lately. The marine layer seems shallow but the onshore flow beneath it is very strong, leading to seasonable inland temperatures with lack of beach clearing.

From Los Angeles/Oxnard forecast discussion:

Low excitement levels for the extended period as the marine layer
seems to have lost all of its calenders and still thinks its June.

Broad west coast troffing will continue through Sunday, although
it will weaken and hgts will rise starting Friday. There will be
strong onshore flow each day esp from the west to the east.

If upwelling brings up nutrients for diversity of marine life, why are the best snorkeling areas in tropical locations with warm water?

Completely different set of marine life there, that are adapted to very warm water. Sort of obvious.

And of course pretty fish to see while you are snorkeling and fish that are important to fisheries are two totally different things.

Definitely breezier than yesterday. Anaheim (my go-to representative of the inner coastal plain) running below 80, unusually cool for early August. Even valleys are staying in the mid 80s. Beaches are near normal or a bit below. At least that dismal forecast high of 68 in MB isn’t coming to pass yet.