2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Phil

18*F yesterday morning. Barely beats the 18.3*F from a month ago, for a new coldest low of the winter.

Pathetic. By far the warmest “coldest low” of any winter on record except for 1878/79. Maybe. Depends on whether you account for station relocations, UHI, etc.

• Like 1

If the pattern holds next storm should be a cutter. I will sling back a cold one and hope for the next run. Still 30 days left.

Probably get sucked up by a tornado in May. A fitting ending I suppose for a weatherman...

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

Pretty dry airmass (by super +AO standards) advected in yesterday behind that southern slider. Dewpoints in the single digits, lows dropping to ~ 20*F.

Looks like a dynamic storm coming up from tomorrow afternoon through Thursday. Squall line with imbedded severe thunderstorms possible tomorrow evening then gradient/CAA/pressure rise gusts to ~ 40-50mph on Thursday.

Gorgeous weather here. 60's sunny and calm.

Phil,......Check your messages please.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Wall of wind coming out of the mountains. Let’s see how much mixes down..lowest few thousand feet are stable at the moment so CAA will have to scour that out.

W9ewg8R.gif

• Like 1

That was a decent storm. Winds ~ 45mph throughout, with plenty of vivid lightning strikes, then the precipitation flipped over to mostly graupel or hail during the second half of it. A very pulsy wind, like a sine wave.

• Like 1

NW flow with pinwheeling short waves last 5 days. 

Results: unfrozen lakes produced 30 inches of lake effect snow in western NY state. Winds gusted to over 60mph. Along lake shores 18 ft waves breaking producing freezing spray. Ice accretion up to 1 foot. A lake effect storm indeed. Image below.

There is a window of opportunity 96-132hrs for the Mid-Atlantic. I'll give it a 15% chance. Better than nothing. All depends on Southern Hudson Bay low, it's confluence, and cut off Texas low and amplification. That Sun is getting awfully bright out side my window.

ce4c0aba-a45e-4b32-9900-13110c067dd3_Thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

There is a window of opportunity 96-132hrs for the Mid-Atlantic. I'll give it a 15% chance. Better than nothing. All depends on Southern Hudson Bay low, it's confluence, and cut off Texas low and amplification. That Sun is getting awfully bright out side my window.

ce4c0aba-a45e-4b32-9900-13110c067dd3_Thumb.jpg

It’s not happening with that s/w orientation and disjointed streamflow. Even if it were cold enough that screams southern slider.

Not ruling out something last minute later in March or even April but the pattern is extremely hostile for now.

• Like 1

It’s not happening with that s/w orientation and disjointed streamflow. Even if it were cold enough that screams southern slider.

Not ruling out something last minute later in March or even April but the pattern is extremely hostile for now.

Thanks.. 

• Like 1

That means my 85% chance of nothing will verify. We are entering an interesting time for models. The dynamics of the atmosphere will peak next 60 days. Looking at model depictions of screaming warm air advection along the front range 156 hrs is not good.

• Like 1

A bit nippy this morning at 22.6*F, following a blustery day yesterday with windchills in the teens/20s all day.

I’m still intrigued by the seasonal transition this year, given the annular mode is still raging in its cyclonic winter state and will have to transition out of that quickly as radiative heating commences in earnest. Question is, will the final warming in the polar stratosphere be dynamic? Or will it be a slower, radiative-catabolism of the vortex structure? Could have implications not just for subseasonal pattern progression but also, in theory, MJO/static stability in the tropics, henceforth ENSO evolution? QBO also transitioning as we speak, with easterly shear downwelling to/below 30hpa. Lots of stuff to monitor.

Given the above, and the climatological nature of the MJO/wavetrain seasonality under analogous boundary conditions, my projection (and my instinct) is to expect some wild gyrations in the weather pattern across the CONUS this month and especially next month. Or I could be full of it. Haha. We’ll see.

• Like 1

A bit nippy this morning at 22.6*F, following a blustery day yesterday with windchills in the teens/20s all day.

I’m still intrigued by the seasonal transition this year, given the annular mode is still raging in its cyclonic winter state and will have to transition out of that quickly as radiative heating commences in earnest. Question is, will the final warming in the polar stratosphere be dynamic? Or will it be a slower, radiative-catabolism of the vortex structure? Could have implications not just for subseasonal pattern progression but also, in theory, MJO/static stability in the tropics, henceforth ENSO evolution? QBO also transitioning as we speak, with easterly shear downwelling to/below 30hpa. Lots of stuff to monitor.

Given the above, and the climatological nature of the MJO/wavetrain seasonality under analogous boundary conditions, my projection (and my instinct) is to expect some wild gyrations in the weather pattern across the CONUS this month and especially next month. Or I could be full of it. Haha. We’ll see.

Translation:

Weather has been weird. That means the transition to Spring may be weird.

Last night tornadoes hit downtown Nashville. Video below. By biggest fear has always been a tornado at night. Storm chasers will love this spring. For the rest of us, it doesn't look good...

https://youtu.be/15Kw9AnpUmM

Several 60mph gusts reported out west with the next squall. Some lightning in that one as well.

Have been touching 40mph intermittently here since a little bit after sundown.

Not all of this will mix down, but there’s some serious wind aloft with these squalls. Warned as severe t-storms for high winds even though they’re just showers, really.

wBpXvC0.jpg

53mph @ Leesburg Apt. Almost no precip left with the squall but the wall of wind is continuing to roll out of the hills.

Thick, nasty smoke here today. Apparently this is why.

Just gross. Had to close the windows due to the smell.

Zb85mrT.jpg

This was a typical winter for Greenville SC. We loved those 2 and 3 foot storms from 09 till 16. Good times for sure.

Let's hope us old folks get a few more years. A song for maybe late November next year.

https://youtu.be/AxSarBcsKLU

Looks like a wall of sleet, graupel, and cold rain moving in from the NW. Was in the mid-70’s yesterday, lol.