2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Phil

Yup. Winds usually develop a S/SW component in the afternoon on big storm days. Knew today would be a dud when the NW winds were still blowing solid at 2pm.

• Like 1

Small microburst here earlier in the evening. Wind roaring through the trees with sheets of rain.

Now 73°F with a light fog/100% humidity. Swampy.

Tommore would have been a good event setup but the tropica system is what messing things up as is typical with tropica systems you tend to get mixing surppressing out ahead of the system. Monday and tuesday could be interesting depending what the system does and track.but still kind of sucks that it may have robbed an rare mid summer severe weather outbreak potentialy tommore.I know Anthony was hyping Tommore for the past few days :lol: but did warn that the tropica system could get in the way.

Tropical storm warnings in effect “until further notice”.

Haha. If that ain’t the most 2020 statement ever, I don’t know what is.

We’re probably looking at 3-6” of rain and possibly some gusty northerlies on the west side of the circulation here.

Exact track (and health of the circulation) will determine the westward extent/amplitude of the winds. Small wobbles and/or minute changes in structure could make all the difference out this way. But as of now, it looks like gusts are most likely to be in the 30-50mph range locally, which is similar to a typical winter post-frontal event, except we’ll have saturated soils and leaves on the trees.

Hurricane Irene might be a good analog..had a massive circulation, but tracked offshore and we still ended up with 50-60mph winds around here. I remember being surprised at how quickly it ramped up on the backside once winds flipped N/NW, while the E/NE winds on the front quadrant were lackluster (at least here, just west of the fall line).

For whatever reason, this area loves to mix down N/NW winds. They almost always find a way.

Unexpectedly strong burst of S/SE winds with that squall an hour ago. Roaring through the trees. Heard cracking wood on two occasions, probably some weak limbs not typically exposed to gusts from that direction.

Overall a fairly underwhelming event here.

24hr rainfall is 2.65”. Winds ~ 30mph. That’s about it.

Explosive thunderstorm rocked the neighborhood late last night ~ 230AM. Bolt after bolt after bolt with almost instantaneous thunder, went on for 15+ minutes. Also a quick 0.7” of rain and winds to 37mph.

Not bad for a nocturnal event.

Now 3.65” of rain over the first 6 days of August. Much needed locally..soil was getting dry again.

• Like 1

It’s downright oppressive today. Dewpoint touched 79° a half hour ago. Now mixed out to 77° but it doesn’t feel any better with the mercury climbing.

PWAT values are sky high..hoping for a good downpour.

HRRR has placed my location in a precip hole for the last several runs. Hopefully that busts.

HRRR has placed my location in a precip hole for the last several runs. Hopefully that busts.

the problem with these type of set ups slow moving thunderstorms with little to no steeling flow it really hard to pin point where the storms will fire track.but if cought under one you could get a crap load of rain in a sort order.take right now for instance we have storms moving west north south and east :lol:

For the first time since late June, we finally dropped below 70°F. Solid rain tonight, up to 5.32” on the month and we’re only halfway through.

I think at least one of the days Monday - Wednesday will feature some decent storms around here.

Gross & stagnant presently..90°F with mid 70s dewpoints.

Saterday could be interesting if the models are right with the remains of Laura passing over head.alot of hype by the nws spc and Justin berk tonignt but so far unless something happens they all maybe eating there words in a big bust :lol:.the fact remains that most of our high end events are from systems that don't get a lot of attention.they tend to sneak up on us and the nws spc having to catch up.something has to be looked at with the repeated errors on the models convected setups as of late I have noticed a few times this summer where models blew chunks with the setup.

Zippo here. Had to water the grass/plants today. Was another gross afternoon with heat indices pushing 100° for the umpteenth time.

Storms have been avoiding this area like the plague for the last 10 days or so.

yeah Anne Arundel county has been a hot bed for storms this summer.it really poured while we were driving to the Columbia Mall a few hours ago.

Agree with Justin Berk the ghost of Laura ended up futher north then the Ecmwf advertise which was in southern Virginia instead its tracking through maryland.Also is weaker then models indacated as well.amazing considering nearly a little over 48 hours ago we had a well defind hurricane tropica system on the map now it a hard to defind mess embedded in the fronter system.on the bright side tommore looks fantastic.

Yesterday’s convection split me yet again. Now this sorry excuse for a squall line is doing likewise.

Three whiffs in 3 days.

Slight risk today, enhanced risk tomorrow from SPC.

Humid day, presently 88/78 with condensation dripping from the windows. Hopefully enough fuel for some action.

Yet another whiff here. 3rd time in a row. Really starting to piss me the fuuck off at this point.

You’re a püssy, ma’ nature. Get it up or go home, princess.