Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Still won't enlarge but I went to the website.  On the main topographical map you can see the little valley I'm in on Clear Creek.  It will show up between the Eagle Creek Golf course and Oregon City.  I'm sheltered somewhat by higher hills to the west and a ridge that climbs about 150 up to Spring water.  Weather often blows over the top of where I'm at.  Can't tell just where you're at but between you being a little higher and it appears you get more east wind influence, your weather is a little better for cold and snow albeit you're not that far from me. 

I am addicted to that Lithia Park cam. Such a beautiful location. I was blessed with the opportunity to visit back in July. Lovely area. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Still won't enlarge but I went to the website.  On the main topographical map you can see the little valley I'm in on Clear Creek.  It will show up between the Eagle Creek Golf course and Oregon City.  I'm sheltered somewhat by higher hills to the west and a ridge that climbs about 150 up to Spring water.  Weather often blows over the top of where I'm at.  Can't tell just where you're at but between you being a little higher and it appears you get more east wind influence, your weather is a little better for cold and snow albeit you're not that far from me.

So on that map I'm located in the purple to your north. I'm on the east slope of a hill which is 450' high to the northwest of downtown Boring. It looks like from here and to my NNE the terrain stays below 1000' which allows that cold air to sort of funnel in directly from my north. I think this is why I get more of a NE gorge wind than just E.

But you can also see that to my E and ENE I am blocked from the gorge by some higher terrain. It has to go around that elevation to the north and west and we get clipped with a little bit of that.

• Like 1

I am addicted to that Lithia Park cam. Such a beautiful location. I was blessed with the opportunity to visit back in July. Lovely area.

I loved going to school there for two years. Great scenery. Unfortunately I only saw one decent snowfall of 3 inches during those two winters there.

• Like 2

Some views of the cabin we’ve been staying at. About 12 miles west of Bend. Definitely getting my snow and cold fix out here.

attachicon.gif60A0AAEB-C174-49D4-9C90-1A4DFC5501B2.jpeg

attachicon.gifCEE9C6E9-487A-4106-BE50-190C32DBD49F.jpeg

attachicon.gif7FE8EEE7-FDA4-4069-9E1D-CD2A9408FF80.jpeg

attachicon.gif2925A9A5-496F-44AF-829B-38BFA54ECCE0.jpeg

How did you find this cabin?  Rental or friends 

• Like 1

How did you find this cabin?  Rental or friends

Girlfriend got it for me as a Christmas present, through AirBnB. Great deal and a really wonderful location. We are about 2.5 miles from Tumalo falls, planning to snowshoe there later on. Would be a fun place in the summer too with close access to a lot of the trails in the Three Sisters Wilderness.

• Like 2

Girlfriend got it for me as a Christmas present, through AirBnB. Great deal and a really wonderful location. We are about 2.5 miles from Tumalo falls, planning to snowshoe there later on. Would be a fun place in the summer too with close access to a lot of the trails in the Three Sisters Wilderness.

I once saw an exceptional rainbow on the gravel road back to Bend from Tumalo Falls.

Also I happened to miss the white Christmas in 2017. I wasn't sad about it at all... as I was near Bend and got a far superior White Christmas.  :)

• Like 1

She's a keeper

• Like 3

Feel a little blue balled by what could have been this morning. The gorge outflow was going and the upper levels were cooling as the back edge of a cold front hung up on the cascade foothills and enhanced precip. It was 35 degrees throughout all of it with lumpy rain.