March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Feeling off color fellas. Ear ringing/ear pain/tummy pain plus when ears start acting up I get dizzy pray for me

Go get tested!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Where?

The Washington State Dept. of Health has established a call center to address questions from the public.

If you have questions about what is happening in Washington state, how the virus is spread, and what to do if you have symptoms, please call 1-800-525-0127 and press #.

• Like 1

Lots of drizzle and virus talk today...it’s been drizzling here all day but ground hasn’t been wet all day either. Kind of breezy and 47 degrees.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Feeling off color fellas. Ear ringing/ear pain/tummy pain plus when ears start acting up I get dizzy pray for me

Funny. My ears plugged and rang with this too. Not typically on my list of symptoms with a cold virus.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Funny. My ears plugged and rang with this too. Not typically on my list of symptoms with a cold virus.

There’s probably thousands of people who have had it. The first case in the US was at sea-tac in mid January and it’s probably been silently spreading for weeks undetected. My brother is a TSA agent who works at sea-tac and me and him both came down with a nasty cold roughly 5 days after the first case at sea-tac...atleast I thought it was a cold. Felt like a really bad cold like the worst I have had in several years. I’m almost certain many have had it...I’m 95% sure I probably did too.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I have a feeling that most of not all schools will be closed by later in the week.

Marysville is closed tomorrow.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Good thing there weren’t many snow days this winter

Our school district is already in session until June 25th thanks to being closed for about a week because it kept snowing every night during that week in January.    

Not sure what the long term plan is with this virus... its not like its just going to go away.   So are they just going to cancel the rest of the school year?    As others have pointed out... its probably been spreading for a couple months now locally.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Everyone should just stay home until May! Personally I would love that! I could get so much work done around the property!

My ears plugged up pretty bad for about 12-24 hours as well. Maybe I caught it from you. Did you leave any bodily fluids around the 164th Avenue are near Chik-Fil-A last week??

• Like 1

There’s probably thousands of people who have had it. The first case in the US was at sea-tac in mid January and it’s probably been silently spreading for weeks undetected. My brother is a TSA agent who works at sea-tac and me and him both came down with a nasty cold roughly 5 days after the first case at sea-tac...atleast I thought it was a cold. Felt like a really bad cold like the worst I have had in several years. I’m almost certain many have had it...I’m 95% sure I probably did too.

Based on observations around the world, this is unlikely. There was little to no evidence it was spreading much outside of China until the last couple weeks.

Everywhere there has been an outbreak, it's become pretty clear, pretty quickly.

Not to sound all doom and gloom - most people who get it only have mild symptoms, when they do start having symptoms. But everywhere there's been an outbreak, you start seeing some people with serious symptoms pretty quickly.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Our school district is already in session until June 25th thanks to being closed for about a week because it kept snowing every night during that week in January.    

Not sure what the long term plan is with this virus... its not like its just going to go away.   So are they just going to cancel the rest of the school year?    As others have pointed out... its probably been spreading for a couple months now locally.    

If you look at some other places like Japan, etc, the plan is to keep schools closed long enough to significantly slow spread, so as to not overwhelm the health care system. 

A lot of people probably aren't aware of it, but not only does the seasonal flu kill people, it also puts a huge strain on our health care infrastructure. The biggest danger with this new virus probably isn't how lethal it may be, it's that if a lot more people get sick and go to the hospital, it could be overwhelming for the whole system.

But if you can at least slow the spread enough and buy time to develop better treatment and expand care facilities, you have a better chance of keeping that from happening.

Getting some weird activity from my weather station, maybe it has coronavirus...  :o 

At the beginning of February I was having problems with precipitation readings. Rain bucket had become all gunked up and when I cleared it out, the weather station didn't record any of the tips of the rain bucket. Luckily I counted how many times I could hear the rain gauge tip (45) and added them manually to my station. Now this morning at 7 a.m. all that precipitation suddenly showed up again for today without warning.

No idea what sort of software problem would cause it to show up 30 days late (the weather station worked fine otherwise during all of February). 

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

My ears plugged up pretty bad for about 12-24 hours as well. Maybe I caught it from you. Did you leave any bodily fluids around the 164th Avenue are near Chik-Fil-A last week??

I licked all the door handles but I drank Purell before doing it so....

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Pleasant afternoon. Was in my t-shirt outside at 3pm. I can remember much colder starts to March in previous years.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

If you look at some other places like Japan, etc, the plan is to keep schools closed long enough to significantly slow spread, so as to not overwhelm the health care system.

A lot of people probably aren't aware of it, but not only does the seasonal flu kill people, it also puts a huge strain on our health care infrastructure. The biggest danger with this new virus probably isn't how lethal it may be, it's that if a lot more people get sick and go to the hospital, it could be overwhelming for the whole system.

But if you can at least slow the spread enough and buy time to develop better treatment and expand care facilities, you have a better chance of keeping that from happening.

ya have been getting a lot of emergency requests from clients to build temp isolation rooms, etc in their hospitals the past few weeks. Swedish alone has asked me to help build 150 temp ones.

.85” on the day, 1.01” for the month, 19.21” for the year.

41 and moderate rain currently.

Little tidbit on recent climatology (maybe the result of a warming climate)... the prevalence of this pattern is why your area and my area have had very little problem reaching at least normal rainfall over the last 5 or 6 years (exception being 2019) even when other areas have been dry.   In 2018... this pattern being more dominant than usual led to our areas being above normal in an otherwise dry year regionally. 

Obviously this set up is built into our averages as well... but its been more common than usual in recent years.     It really favors the central and north Cascades and adjacent foothill and lowlands.

ATX-0.png

Its usually the result of ridging offshore and moisture moving over the top of the ridge... 

sat.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Getting some weird activity from my weather station, maybe it has coronavirus... :o

At the beginning of February I was having problems with precipitation readings. Rain bucket had become all gunked up and when I cleared it out, the weather station didn't record any of the tips of the rain bucket. Luckily I counted how many times I could hear the rain gauge tip (45) and added them manually to my station. Now this morning at 7 a.m. all that precipitation suddenly showed up again for today without warning.

No idea what sort of software problem would cause it to show up 30 days late (the weather station worked fine otherwise during all of February).

What station do you have?

You’re probably just getting old and falling apart.

It happens. All part of the cycle of life.

• Like 1

I think I infected this entire forum.

Caught the flu, gave it to Mossman, now everyone is dropping like flies.

• Like 1

ya have been getting a lot of emergency requests from clients to build temp isolation rooms, etc in their hospitals the past few weeks. Swedish alone has asked me to help build 150 temp ones.

Interesting, I take it you're a contractor? 

Glad to hear some hospitals have been planning ahead. Certainly helps that we've had a heads up on this thing for a few weeks. Hopefully the reports of 15% of those infected needing hospitalization end up too high...again, how much the spread and growth of cases can be slowed down will be key over the next few weeks.

With much more testing available than just a few days ago across the country, we should know a lot more within a week.

Little tidbit on recent climatology (maybe the result of a warming climate)... the prevalence of this pattern is why your area and my area have had very little problem reaching at least normal rainfall over the last 5 or 6 years (exception being 2019) even when other areas have been dry.   In 2018... this pattern being more dominant than usual led to our areas being above normal in an otherwise dry year regionally. 

Obviously this set up is built into our averages as well... but its been more common than usual in recent years.     It really favors the central and north Cascades and adjacent foothill and lowlands.

Its usually the result of ridging offshore and moisture moving over the top of the ridge... 

I don't really see how that would be related to a warming climate.

I don't really see how that would be related to a warming climate.

Not sure... expanding Hadley Cell and moisture just focusing more frequently on WA at the expense of OR?   I have no idea. I am piecing together things I have heard from Phil and probably have it all wrong.   :lol: 

But it has been happening more than usual and it shows up in the anomalies. And led to extreme anomaly disparities last month again.

anomimage.png

Side note... SEA and WFO SEA were both actually wetter than normal for February.     

I have no agenda here... just find it interesting.   Today and tomorrow are good examples again.