April 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

We overperformed again in Iowa today.  Cedar Rapids hit 75º and several locations in central Iowa reached the low 80s.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I’m hoping for a good rain tomorrow. My brother planted hay and oats in the field next to the house and I planted some grass seed in parts of the lawns and did some gardening. Had a high of 76° today with plenty windy conditions, and a bit ago a surprise tiny thunder shower move over around 10:40pm.

There is a decent threat of severe storms tomorrow afternoon, especially in se. Iowa so I’m hoping for a strong t. storm.

This band of rain is moving through at the wrong time and may spoil storm chances. Looks like redevelopment could be very scattered anyway till it's east of here. Feeling warm and kinda muggy out there.

Edit: Just checked my NWS point forecast and they've lowered my rain chances down to 20% from 90% as recently as yesterday and 70% this morning. But appears it could rain a bit soon. It's a bummer as need a good rain for newly planted seeds.

A decent thundershower just dropped 0.26" here.  There were a few decent rumbles.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Wow, Just took a rain fall measurement and so far 1.93" of rain has fallen here overnight and so far this morning. And it has been a warm rain at that with a current temperature of 57 here. So that should speed up the leaf development over the next several days. And of course it will be grass cutting time big time.

• Like 1

Attm, 54F w mostly cloudy skies w showers on and off today and tomorrow.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Wow, Just took a rain fall measurement and so far 1.93" of rain has fallen here overnight and so far this morning. And it has been a warm rain at that with a current temperature of 57 here. So that should speed up the leaf development over the next several days. And of course it will be grass cutting time big time.

Warm rain? Its 57F and average highs are in the mid to upper 60s. Highs today barely hitting 60F or maybe 61F (running BN temps). Not sure I get your warm rain statement!

April 2024:

Warm rain? Its 57F and average highs are in the mid to upper 60s. Highs today barely hitting 60F or maybe 61F (running BN temps). Not sure I get your warm rain statement!

It was 61 degrees in April and pouring last night.  Felt tropical to me.  

Here are 2 videos I posted to Twitter from the blowing dust in Holdrege Nebraska at 4 pm today.

https://twitter.com/toddwayneveal/status/1255246508766777346?s=21

https://twitter.com/toddwayneveal/status/1255245385330839552?s=21

it was pretty crazy yesterday. I have a mowing service and was out in the country when that cold front came through. It was a sight to see; this is what happens when you combine all the farmers planting with the dry conditions. I really think this is a sign of what will be an active and crazy spring storm season IMO. 

It was 61 degrees in April and pouring last night.  Felt tropical to me.  

Well, tropical to me is being in the 70s this time of the year w rainfall. Anyway, that's my opinion.  Next! Move on!

April 2024:

Wow, nearly all the CAM's have over 2" of rain falling into NE IL...what a nice pivot...where was this in the Winter???  Looks like a complete washout back home and a big time soaking. This is quite the storm on radar and the winds accompanied on the backside look rather powerful.  On a side note, Lake Michigan water levels continue to rise and are even higher compared to last year.  How high will the lake levels go???  Pretty incredible run taking shape.

I have to wonder where you really live. A rain in Michigan with a temperature of 57 with rain in April is a WARM  rain. The average high for today at GR is 64. At this time it is still raining with a temperature of 57. And yes that is a warm rain in April.

I have to wonder where you really live. A rain in Michigan with a temperature of 57 with rain in April is a WARM  rain. The average high for today at GR is 64. At this time it is still raining with a temperature of 57. And yes that is a warm rain in April.

Dont Keep Wondering, I am in Macomb County!

That is your opinion. I disagree because how can it be a WARM rain, if temps are running BELOW NORMAL today as we speak. Explain that! Truly, You have no idea what you are talking about. Right now my temp is 55F in MACOMB, MI w showers. Is that considered to be a warm rain? I just talked to a few friends of mine globally, since I have a little time today (right now as a matter of fact) in regards to this conversation that we are having just to get feedback and they ALL disagree at your remark (57F and feeling tropical in late April). Look, if it were December, January or February where average highs are in the low 30s ( very likely colder at your locale, perhaps 20s for normal highs I am assuming) and you were reporting 57F in the midst of Winter w rain, then YES, by all means, I will agree w you 1000% that this is a tropical rain falling. Listen, again, I have my opinion and you have yours. Now, I cant use my time w you on this all day as my time is very valuable, so looking forward to your answer on this. Again, its your conjecture on this, so don't worry on what I think about this issue. Its all good.

April 2024:

Looks like a lull is occurring now. Temps are at 54F w a cool breeze blowing at 15mph. More rain to follow later this afternoon and evening.

April 2024:

Dont Keep Wondering, I am in Macomb County!

That is your opinion. I disagree because how can it be a WARM rain, if temps are running BELOW NORMAL today as we speak. Explain that! Truly, You have no idea what you are talking about. Right now my temp is 55F in MACOMB, MI w showers. Is that considered to be a warm rain? I just talked to a few friends of mine globally, since I have a little time today (right now as a matter of fact) in regards to this conversation that we are having just to get feedback and they ALL disagree at your remark (57F and feeling tropical in late April). Look, if it were December, January or February where average highs are in the low 30s ( very likely colder at your locale, perhaps 20s for normal highs I am assuming) and you were reporting 57F in the midst of Winter w rain, then YES, by all means, I will agree w you 1000% that this is a tropical rain falling. Listen, again, I have my opinion and you have yours. Now, I cant use my time w you on this all day as my time is very valuable, so looking forward to your answer on this. Again, its your conjecture on this, so don't worry on what I think about this issue. Its all good.

I STAND by my statement that in Michigan in April with a rain falling with a temperature of 57 is a warm rain. Most of the time in April with rain falling the temperature is much colder than 57. By the way the official high here in Grand Rapids yesterday was 71 and the overnight low was 57 with a DP of 55 during that (by your standards was a cold rain) At this time it is 63 here with a cold light rain falling. Don't worry I will explain the weather conditions the way I want to and I did say it felt tropical. 

You should also know that the average low at this time is 42. And the low overnight was 57 with that rain falling just it was for April a warm rain.

PHX recorded a record low high the other day (30th) and we bottomed out at 75F.  The cloud cover from yesterday resulted in temps only topping out at 101F and we missed out on reaching the all-time high of 105F which was in the forecast. Next week features more HEAT and it looks like this pattern will last well into May.

I STAND by my statement that in Michigan in April with a rain falling with a temperature of 57 is a warm rain. Most of the time in April with rain falling the temperature is much colder than 57. By the way the official high here in Grand Rapids yesterday was 71 and the overnight low was 57 with a DP of 55 during that (by your standards was a cold rain) At this time it is 63 here with a cold light rain falling. Don't worry I will explain the weather conditions the way I want to and I did say it felt tropical. 

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Trust me...Im not worry! 

End of discussion!

April 2024:

You should also know that the average low at this time is 42. And the low overnight was 57 with that rain falling just it was for April a warm rain.

Been a very cold at time year up there. "Warm rain" is a justified description in terms of the weather experienced up there largely since Oct 6th.

57 and rain at night here is still a little warm too right now.

PHX recorded a record low high the other day (30th) and we bottomed out at 75F. The cloud cover from yesterday resulted in temps only topping out at 101F and we missed out on reaching the all-time high of 105F which was in the forecast. Next week features more HEAT and it looks like this pattern will last well into May.

Knock another 2 weeks off my summer. :) Just keep pulling that ridge out your way.