June 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

This is great!  Cedar Rapids is parked under a heavy band.  It appears I am over 1.50" now, will easily soar past 2".

• Like 6

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Not too bad tempwise today as I am enjoying a nice "Backgammon" game here outside w my good friend along w a nice Freppe. Temp at 83F. I am definitely jumping in my pool once this game is done.

And yes..I am winning. I always win! I am Champion from previous tournaments in NY. ;)

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

57 over in Grand Island this afternoon while still 85 in Lincoln. It looks more like a late Spring front, I haven't seen a sharp front like this so late in the season. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

The personal stations near my house are all well over 2" now.  The pivot point for the heavy rain is one county west of me.  The biggest totals may be there.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Very interesting tweet regarding Cristobal's track...living through history

I'm curious how they are defining tropical systems in this chart.  I certainly can recall in the past that remnants of tropical systems have hit Eastern Iowa.  I recall one in 2008 right before the Iowa-Iowa State football game.  It poured a solid 3" and finally stopped right before the game started.  The field was a sloppy mess.  I'm not seeing that system on this chart.  It was certainly extra-tropical by then, is this one still considered "tropical" by definition? 

Cedar Rapids has gotten into a bit of a dry moat, with heavier east and west, so the rates have dropped way down.

Muskegon has reached 95 that is a new record for the date and is now the 3rd warmest reading at Muskegon for the month of June the record all time records for June there are 1. 98 in 1995. 2. 97 in June of 1953 and now 95 this year. Of course there is a SE wind and that helps. Also Grand Rapids has with a high of at least 93 has at least tied the record for today. Here at my house I have a current temperature of 95 with a DP of 62.

• Like 1

I'm curious how they are defining tropical systems in this chart. I certainly can recall in the past that remnants of tropical systems have hit Eastern Iowa. I recall one in 2008 right before the Iowa-Iowa State football game. It poured a solid 3" and finally stopped right before the game started. The field was a sloppy mess. I'm not seeing that system on this chart. It was certainly extra-tropical by then, is this one still considered "tropical" by definition?

Good question. He didn’t specify in his post but I assume it’s every tropical storm that made landfall?

• Like 1

I'm curious how they are defining tropical systems in this chart.  I certainly can recall in the past that remnants of tropical systems have hit Eastern Iowa.  I recall one in 2008 right before the Iowa-Iowa State football game.  It poured a solid 3" and finally stopped right before the game started.  The field was a sloppy mess.  I'm not seeing that system on this chart.  It was certainly extra-tropical by then, is this one still considered "tropical" by definition?

Yes I remember a number of tropical systems have produced good rains in my area over the years, but the rarity of this one is the low center itself is grazing far southeast and eastern Iowa.

IMG-5036.gif

IMG-5037.gif

• Like 2

Yes I remember a number of tropical systems have produced good rains in my area over the years, but the rarity of this one is the low center itself is grazing far southeast and eastern Iowa.

IMG-5036.gif

IMG-5037.gif

That makes sense.  SLP track.  I think the storm in 2008 was hurricane Ike remnants and looking up the path, it did not go through Iowa, but the rain shield sure did.  That was a miserable tailgate that morning.  We still talk about it to this day with me and my friends.  At least the Hawks won though.  

• Like 1

That makes sense.  SLP track.  I think the storm in 2008 was hurricane Ike remnants and looking up the path, it did not go through Iowa, but the rain shield sure did.  That was a miserable tailgate that morning.  We still talk about it to this day with me and my friends.  At least the Hawks won though.

I don't know for sure, but assumed they meant that.

I'm guessing about 2.40" here.  We had a real shot at 3" until we got stuck under a stationary dry moat in between heavy bands.  Benton county has been parked under heavy rain for hours.

Future drought regions I've made mention of starting to show up. These 2 areas are what I was expecting to a "T". I'd look for this to expand throughout the month and then build out over and to the E/NE with an anchored ridge system/Bermuda high.

The Western US ridge/drought area should remain pretty steadfast throughout the summer other than occasional migration into the monsoon season. After a few years of strong activity out there I look for that to be half or less of the last 3 years averages.

Long term drought look as like the outcome here and a late summer with legs for Eastern areas of our sub as the late summer wears down. (Late July-Aug time frame for that area into the NE US.

My $0.02 worth. For now. Is it right? Guess we'll see.

gfs_apcpn_us_64.png

• Like 1

2.49"

We were held back by the dry moat over the last hour or two, but I'm happy with that total.  Now the question is will the def zone from the second low track through my area of just north.

Getting blasted by some non-severe but fairly strong thunderstorms currently in Omaha. Haven’t picked up much all that much rain so far this afternoon and evening... however plenty of moisture is coming up from the south and west.

Lincoln is under a Flash Flood Warning currently, and this same system of storms is moving into Omaha now.

• Like 1

Torrential rains in my backyard over the last half hour, went from a trace in my rain gauge to nearly one and a half inches in just over 30 minutes, and it’s still pouring rain with the cell stuck over Southwest Omaha. Winds are blasting out of the northwest with 40 to 45 mph gusts right now and have also seen some pea-sized hail mixing in.

• Like 3

Looks like the rain may be a bust here. Just a brief dumping from the initial wave and its been isolated storms all night. Super windy though. I was just hoping to get a nice soaking before the dry spell. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Boy, what a night of active weather back home as there were numerous tornado warnings issued on the south side of Chicago.  I only see 1 tornado report near Iroquois county but a ton of wind reports in NE IL from a line of storms that swept through late in the afternoon.  I will confirm that my neighbors had a large branch (6"+) in diameter break off his tree in his front yard.  No damage on my property.  Highest wind gust was 74mph near Rosemont which is a stones throw away from my sisters place.

• Like 1

The Euro does not have another drop of rain around here for the next ten days, after today.

FWIW, at least most of you across the MW/GL's and eastern Sub will enjoy a long period of lower DP's and comfy temps into early next week.  Some chilly mornings are being forecast in the U.P. Friday night and through the weekend as temps may dip into the upper 30's while widespread 40's are not out of the question near the GL's.!  Bon Fires???  Those out in the plains will be stuck in the summer ridge pattern.  Changes are starting to show up around Father's Day weekend where a more active pattern sets up and potential deeper trough across the central CONUS.

• Like 1

Flash Flood Watch again for this morning. Yup looks like a dry spell after this.

Models have struggled with the location of the narrow heavy rain band today.  It appears it will miss to your south.  It may pass just north of me as well.

Its a muggy 77F under cloudy skies. Man, it will get quite dangerous later today weatherwise.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"