June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

81/51 for a 66F avg. Sunny all day.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Don’t think we will hit 70 today...would be 9 out of 12 days this month sub 70. Have had an avg. temp of just 60.8 so far this July.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Don’t think we will hit 70 today...would be 9 out of 12 days this month sub 70. Have had an avg. temp of just 60.8 so far this July.

Even SEA is running almost -2 for the month and has had only one day above normal... and that was +1 on July 5th.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Even SEA is running almost -2 for the month and has had only one day above normal... and that was +1 on July 5th.

definitely has been a cool start to July this year similar to last year except it’s been a bit drier this year.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Down here this year has been much cooler and drier than last July so far.

It’s been almost 2 degrees cooler than last July was at this time...cooler than I thought. Have had 1/3 the precipitation as well.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Absolutely beautiful shot of the NEOWISE comet over Mt. Rainier and some blue noctilucent clouds on the horizon.

107997066_3094265050681116_4149405979663

That’s amazing...I’m really hoping we can get some more clear nights coming up to see this comet before it’s gone for a long long time. I saw it myself yesterday morning it was phenomenal.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Absolutely beautiful shot of the NEOWISE comet over Mt. Rainier and some blue noctilucent clouds on the horizon.

107997066_3094265050681116_4149405979663

Did you get that shot?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I don’t this he’s Michael Troffmov. But could be mistaken.

Didn’t see the name on my phone until I zoomed way in on the top. I’m old.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Is it tonight where it’ll start to appear after sunset? Hopefully some good viewing. Will be tough in town tho.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Is it tonight where it’ll start to appear after sunset? Hopefully some good viewing. Will be tough in town tho.

I’m not certain of the times that it’ll be visible every night. However I do know that it’s starting in the NE sky...working it’s position more W into the NW sky slowly over the next 2 weeks. Should eventually be visible in the evening hours past sunset but I’m not sure how many days that will actually take. Basically it was visible at 4am yesterday morning and the time should become earlier and earlier at night before it is visible more in the late night after sunset hours. Another thing to keep in mind is that it may slowly lose brightness...so take advantage of any clear night that you can possibly get a view of it before that happens. It could stay visible the next 2-3 weeks or it could fade a week from now.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Another thing is it’s visible with the naked eye...but having binoculars or a telescope will really up the wow and awe factor of seeing it in much more detail. I really wish I was old enough to see Haley’s comet back in 1997 but I was born in 1999. Neowise is pretty cool too though!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Tim isn’t happy unless it’s torching.

July 15-25 +/- a few days might be the warmest stretch of the summer out there. Heat misers rejoice!

July 15-25 +/- a few days might be the warmest stretch of the summer out there. Heat misers rejoice!

This is begging for a jinx. ;)

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me too much to see our warmest stretch (relative to normal) in late August to September at this point. Feels like a late bloomer year.

Tim isn’t happy unless it’s torching.

STFU.

I just reported what the EPS is showing.   I doubt there will be any significant heat this summer but that is fine.    You must be so miserable... while we have a gorgeous week ahead.    :wub:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is begging for a jinx. ;)

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me too much to see our warmest stretch (relative to normal) in late August to September at this point. Feels like a late bloomer year.

Seems like every season this year maximizes its potential in the last minute. Winter didn't really snow here until March and Spring didn't really rain until May. So it feels like summer will peak at the latest possible point too.
  • Like 1

Also, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say summer “peaks” near or before July 4th in the PNW this year. The warmest temperatures of the year might occur in June (I’m not counting September in this projection, though).

Backpedaling a little bit on this claim?

Seems like every season this year maximizes its potential in the last minute. Winter didn't really snow here until March and Spring didn't really rain until May. So it feels like summer will peak at the latest possible point too.

Coastal California usually gets its hottest weather in the early fall. Seasonal lag delayed by a large body of water nearby.

Halley's Comet last came around in 1986, and it was a dud. The last comets to give a big show were Hyakutake in 1996 and Hale-Bopp in 1997. They were very bright even to the naked eye.

I got Halley’s Comet and Hale-Bopp mixed up in my head. Either way neowise is the first one I’ve seen in person and it’s pretty cool!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

This is getting older than Tim himself.

And Tim is pretty old. Let’s guess Tim’s age...My guess is 44.

And Tim is pretty old. Let’s guess Tim’s age...My guess is 44.

Incorrect sir... that would be nice though. 49.

But 21 at heart. :)

What are we gonna do for Tim’s 50th?

Naked badminton tourney/wine tasting on the surface of the sun?

Haven’t you learned anything from the COVID thread...Heat doesn’t kill the virus so we will need to wait until he turns 51.