June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

For the first time in the 12 years I have lived at this location, I have rats. I'm gonna need how to figure out how to get them and not the untold thousands of nearby squirrels.

Get a cat. 

Whenever I used to go out to Starlight in downtown I would always see rats scurrying around their outside seating area. Yum

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

OLM is running -1.1 for this month, with an average temp of 62.3.

In July 2016, they finished at 64.1.

Also worth noting that there have been ZERO virus fatalities at the Olympia airport throughout the pandemic.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

This is the first summer in a while that we will sometimes turn on the heat in the morning just to take the chill off. We moved my mom in a while back and she just had a hip replacement done so been trying to keep the house not too chilly and not too warm for her.

Gotta keep mom happy.
  • Like 1

Shawnigan lake has basically erased the cool July over the past week. Sitting around -0.3F now.

SEA is basically at normal for July as well.   

The main page on the SEA NWS site shows the roller coaster... from chilly weather today and tomorrow to much warmer then cooling down closer to normal.  

sea-nws-2.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just think it'll probably only be completely clear for 59% of the day today. 59% is not a passing grade.

Jealous!

Some of us up here will be much closer to 0% today and tomorrow.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z GFS shows a cool down around next Thursday and then another rebound and a warm weekend... we seem to have adjusted the trough cycle to one that features much more favorable timing for us folks who work during the week.   Hope it holds!

It sure is nice when the warm, sunny periods include a weekend. :)

Indeed it has been down this way.  :)

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think there is a decent chance that energy cuts off to our west early next week and we see a thunderstorm potential mid week.

I was thinking the same thing when looking at the GFS.

This is the first summer in a while that we will sometimes turn on the heat in the morning just to take the chill off. We moved my mom in a while back and she just had a hip replacement done so been trying to keep the house not too chilly and not too warm for her.

My mom had a hip replacement back in May. She’s had her AC on full blast 24/7 ever since. Energy bill through the roof, as expected.

I just want to see an "official" heatwave. I'll take 91/91/91 over 98/98/88. Plus I can't really feel the difference once temperatures start getting above 90.

Come visit. Only 1 day below 90°F since June 26. It’s the nightmare that never ends.

Knowing a torch fall+crap winter awaits makes it worse.

• Like 1

Would seal the deal for a hot month.

I think there’s too much zonal momentum above 30N for a true cutoff. Trough axis should be offshore for a bit, but close enough to prevent a very warm outcome.

Get a cat. 

Whenever I used to go out to Starlight in downtown I would always see rats scurrying around their outside seating area. Yum

Nest cam picks up half a dozen cats working my property at night but the rats prevail.  Although I’ve won the war under the house they have a tunnel system in and throughout my rock retaining wall that goes to neighboring yards.  Crows will pick them off if they stay in the open to long as I have witnessed.  Otherwise and endless battle of poison and traps. I also have and battery operated box that electrifies them.  But rats seem to learn and now don’t go in box!  They be smart! 

Got down to 52F. Beautiful morning with scattered clouds.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think there’s too much zonal momentum above 30N for a true cutoff. Trough axis should be offshore for a bit, but close enough to prevent a very warm outcome.

We’ll see. I’m guessing after what has been a lackluster performance from the current “cool” period followed by a hot Sunday/Monday, a warmer than average month will be pretty much baked in for most stations, pun intended.

• Like 1

All you do is give him the attention he craves.

Seems like you and Phil are the ones who are desperate for attention.   Mocking anyone for reporting actual conditions.   Weather preference police in full attack mode.      :rolleyes:

We don't say anything about your actual conditions.    It does not involve us.    But you have to chime in for the attention you desperately crave when we report what is happening in our area.

All you do is give him the attention he craves.

Hard to keep the cork in sometimes. It’s the first near average summer out there in 8 years. Think about how long it’s been.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a climate with summers so heavenly that there’s wiggle room to debate them.

Hard to keep the cork in sometimes. It’s the first near average summer out there in 8 years. Think about how long it’s been.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a climate with summers so heavenly that there’s wiggle room to debate them.

Sometimes?   You never stop with the strawman trolling!  

Last summer was much wetter than this summer.     And nobody has said this summer has been unusual here.   We still talk about what is happening.   Cool, drizzly days happen even in warmer than normal summers.     We talk about what is happening.

And some of us really enjoy our sunny periods.   But that is just weather preference crap and its pointless, Phil.   Completely pointless.   Nobody is going to change their mind on what they like.    ;)

We’ll see. I’m guessing after what has been a lackluster performance from the current “cool” period followed by a hot Sunday/Monday, a warmer than average month will be pretty much baked in for most stations, pun intended.

Could be. I’ve never been great at predicting surface temperature anomalies out there (slowly learning, but it takes awhile without the native knowledge).

The upper level pattern progression seems more straightforward to me, though. Aleutian ridge, GOA/AK troughing (+NPO/+EPO), and a strong 4CH. Which historically has produced a zonal temperature/moisture gradient, and near average conditions on the westside for the most part. I think heat is more favored east of the cascades.

Could be. I’ve never been great at predicting surface temperature anomalies out there (slowly learning, but it takes awhile without the native knowledge).

The upper level pattern progression seems more straightforward to me, though. Aleutian ridge, GOA/AK troughing (+NPO/+EPO), and a strong 4CH. Which historically has produced a zonal temperature/moisture gradient, and near average conditions on the westside for the most part. I think heat is more favored east of the cascades.

And given continued large scale subsidence over the WPAC/dateline, I think you have to lean cool (or at least away from prolonged heat/ridging) in August as well. At least until late in the month.

Though the low pass +VP signal has migrated west slowly since the spring equinox. So maybe the second half of August features more dynamic pathways to heat. September probably would regardless.

But this regime is nothing like that of the post-2013 years. Inverted if anything. WPAC subsidence, NE-Canada ridging/-NAO, and N/NE Pacific ridging.

It will literally never change.

Jesse and Phil will only be happy if everyone is happy with cool, drizzly days.    Good luck changing people's minds.   A futile endeavor that just clutters up the forum.   :rolleyes:

Wanted to share that we had our little Luke born yesterday at 10:32AM. 9 lbs, 7 oz. Healthy baby, healthy momma. So happy.

Congratulations!