August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday looking at my car thermo that had a reading of 99F at 3:00pm!  The "cooler" temps were certainly noticeable and the official high was 100F which is 4 degrees BN!  The first BN day in weeks!  That is something to celebrate around here. 

Oh, by the way, there was a dry lightning strike just north of my town about a few miles that sparked a brush fire 2 nights ago.  This courageous triathlon athlete tried to stop the fire from spreading: https://www.azfamily.com/news/arizona_wildfires/jogger-spotted-creating-fire-break-in-mcdowell-fire-i-feel-like-i-did-my-part/article_f3035cb6-e3b2-11ea-bfbd-2fbf4deb4ce0.html

Edit: Of note around here are these low flying large airplanes that carry fire detergent and spray the fires.  It's rather neat to see them flying low and slow right over my place.

• Like 3

00z EPS holding steadfast on the cooling trend and wetter trend as we close out August and head into Sept.  If you look at that deep trough that develops in the Bearing Sea around the 28th of Aug, one has to think that this pattern will correlate to a deep trough by mid Sept for the central CONUS.  This trough stays put into early Sept and is going to be a key factor for the wx pattern heading into the first month of met Autumn.  BTW, take a look at the placement of all those ridges: 1) NE PAC 2) SE Greenland 3) North Pole 4) Southern U.S.  Could this be an early glimpse of blocking later this cold season???  Let's see how this all plays out.

1.png

3.png

• Like 1

Welcome back Hawkeye!  Did you experience a lot of damage?  It's good to hear from you.  Hope you and your family are doing better.

I lost the old, already-dying, maple tree that shaded the patio.  The tree only had a year remaining, but the storm expedited the removal.  Fortunately, the tree totally missed the garage and fell on the patio.  The other, smaller, trees mostly survived ok.  A couple small trees on the neighbors' side of the fence were lost, with one of them crashing through the fence, right where the fence was just repaired last year.  The west border fence actually has a few leaning posts because the cement blocks underground were not able to hold.  Much of the north border fence was blown down, with part of it blowing northward and the other part blowing southward.  I thought that part of the fence would be ok during a storm moving in from the west, but the wind gusts were too strong from multiple directions.  Other than the trees and fence, a couple strips of shingles were lost, but it's minor.  Of course, the garden took a beating.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I lost the old, already-dying, maple tree that shaded the patio. The tree only had a year remaining, but the storm expedited the removal. Fortunately, the tree totally missed the garage and fell on the patio. The other, smaller, trees mostly survived ok. A couple small trees on the neighbors' side of the fence were lost, with one of them crashing through the fence, right where the fence was just repaired last year. The west border fence actually has a few leaning posts because the cement blocks underground were not able to hold. Much of the north border fence was blown down, with part of it blowing northward and the other part blowing southward. I thought that part of the fence would be ok during a storm moving in from the west, but the wind gusts were too strong from multiple directions. Other than the trees and fence, a couple strips of shingles were lost, but it's minor. Of course, the garden took a beating.

Glad to hear nothing came down on your house and that your safe! Was definitely a storm to remember forever. I heard some stat yesterday that like 75% of all trees in our area took damage.

• Like 4

I lost the old, already-dying, maple tree that shaded the patio.  The tree only had a year remaining, but the storm expedited the removal.  Fortunately, the tree totally missed the garage and fell on the patio.  The other, smaller, trees mostly survived ok.  A couple small trees on the neighbors' side of the fence were lost, with one of them crashing through the fence, right where the fence was just repaired last year.  The west border fence actually has a few leaning posts because the cement blocks underground were not able to hold.  Much of the north border fence was blown down, with part of it blowing northward and the other part blowing southward.  I thought that part of the fence would be ok during a storm moving in from the west, but the wind gusts were too strong from multiple directions.  Other than the trees and fence, a couple strips of shingles were lost, but it's minor.  Of course, the garden took a beating.

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear it wasn’t worse for you, though it was bad enough.

Last evening, I was tracking a severe warned cell coming down the white mountains and heading right for my place but took a last minute jog NW and missed me but I did manage to witness a gorgeous view of the entire storm from my patio deck facing north.  The storm was rather electric and showcased a vivid lighting show.  The dust did whip up a bit but not to bad.  I literally sat on our couch outside and watched the storm in the breezy conditions.  I find it so relaxing and peaceful.  #Nature

Meantime, looking ahead towards next week and beyond the GEFS are starting to play catch up and beginning to trend towards the EPS.  Folks, it certainly does look like it will be a cool to chilly open to September!  It's going to feel like Autumn for many of you guys while I continue to bake out here, although, temps are predicted to cool down by Labor Day weekend in the SW as moisture will stream up from the Baja when a deep trough gets carved out across the central CONUS.

@FAR_Weather...looks like it'll be that time of year where you'll need to break out that "hoodie"....

How long has it been since parts of our Sub had a cool Labor Day weekend???  Gosh, I can't even remember...

All the models are onboard that once the clash of air masses begins, it will ignite a very wet pattern for nearly everyone.  IMO, there is a high chance that the drought conditions across NE/IA will be gone in September.

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 2

Scary tracks for New Orleans as 2 "Hurricanes" can strike the area. Good luck to those people down there. Target time is early next week.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Attm, its 80F w a muggy dew. Possibly some isolated storms today, but I would not bet on it. :blink:

April 2024:

As I relax on my patio deck that’s facing south, I’m sweating buckets recuperating after an intense cardio/hike. It’s friggin’ humid 89f/60F. More storms are possible late evening. Higher chances come by end of month as cooler temps settle in (low 100’s, maybe 90’s??).

• Like 1

Returned home yesterday evening from our trip to Tennessee and North Carolina. Was gone for 7 days. Had a great time! Had a "whopping" 0.23" in my rain gauge and some decent sized limbs down in the backyard. Some leaves are on the deck too...prolly from wind and dry weather....definitely not changing color yet. The grass is brown and hasn't grown at all since I mowed 9 days ago. Its currently 90 and looks to be in the 90s all week with no rain. Wayyyyyy over the 90s and dry weather.

@Tom, loving the maps you posted! Looking forward to fall like weather.

@Hawkeye, glad you didn't have too much damage!

• Like 4

94 here rn, not even really dry either, dew is 68. Today is noticeably more humid than it's been for the past week or so. I see that Omaha is at 99! That's impressive if less soil moisture is responsible for a 5 degree difference. That's not even taking into account that KLNK is typically 2-3 degrees warmer than KOMA during the day. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Omaha Eppley hit 99 degrees for the high temperature today... in my own backyard in Southwest Omaha my weather station registered a high of 96. Four more days of this heat to come... I am so over this hot and dry summer weather.

Any yards locally that were able to remain green and lush through the first part of the summer are now stressed and starting to turn brown even with regular watering, thanks to the lack of rainfall and the persistent heat over the weekend... the pattern change coming next weekend can't get here soon enough! 

• Like 6

I guess there was a Severe storm that dumped torrential near my place yesterday along with hail just to my NW in Arlington Hts.

Rainfall gauge reports as of 5:35PM:

2.81” Arlington Hts. (Palatine Rd. at Kennicott)
2.11” Arlington Hts.
1.77” Arlington Hts.
1.20” Northbrook
1.03” Palatine
0.85” Highland Park

5:40PM Radar Check: Numerous reports earlier of 0.25” to 0.50” hail in Arlington Hts. #ILwx
  • Like 2

The last full week of August will feature yet another stretch of Excessive Heat Warnings for the valley.  Heading up to 114F today and living through history as we tack on more 110F+ days in PHX.  Relief in sight??? Yes!  Finally, some good monsoonal moisture is poised to hit the state this weekend and thus dropping temps to more seasonal levels.

I had to rub my eyes when I saw these temps for the opening days of September...@CentralNeb, the Euro is making your wish come true...daytime highs in the 60's???  @Fargo, your gonna feel the Autumn chill....

God you do not know how excited I am for this pattern change. Our highs in the mid-80s don't seem too bad at face value, but we have also had max DPs in the mid-70s every day, and will continue to until Thursday.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

God you do not know how excited I am for this pattern change. Our highs in the mid-80s don't seem too bad at face value, but we have also had max DPs in the mid-70s every day, and will continue to until Thursday.

I'm excited for you and the rest of the crew who will be blessed by some great Autumnal weather as we flip the calendar into September.  While I am baking out here in the SW, rest assured I'll be paying attention to the weather out east!  

• Like 1

I had to rub my eyes when I saw these temps for the opening days of September...@CentralNeb, the Euro is making your wish come true...daytime highs in the 60's???  @Fargo, your gonna feel the Autumn chill....

Whoa, better get the sweatshirts ready.  More than ready.  Football practice this week won't be fun with temps of 95-100.  First big night of HS football in Nebraska is this Friday night, so hopefully temps cool off for the evening kickoffs.

• Like 2

Something I'm noticing more and more is the blocking in the modeling grows stronger as you get closer in time.  It appears that this could be a culprit from low solar???  I read somewhere before that there usually is a lag period when we have low sunspots and the previous 2 years have been extremely low.  It's not just one model that is doing this...pretty much all of them. 

Speaking of blocking, overnight 00z EPS is really amplifying the pattern for Labor Day weekend across North America.  Labor Day weekend Autumn Chill is being advertising on this run.  The model is trending colder across the board.  I'll have to fire up a Sept thread either today or tomorrow.  Got a feeling we will be busy posting on here.  Pattern looks very active.

1.png

• Like 3

Last time 2 back to back hurricanes hit the GOM was back in 1933 and 1959. So, ONLY twice this has happen! Wow.! Laura seems to be the strongest of the 2 and could be a major hurricane (possibly a cat3 or greater) and also the path is still up in the air for either storm.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Muggy conditions currently w hazy sunshine as I am preparing for my zoom meetings. Temps should be flirting w 90F AGAIN today. Also, storms are possible this afternoon (in the "Marginal") color as of now. It could get pretty active.

Note: Much Much cooler air arriving by next weekend.

April 2024:

Something I'm noticing more and more is the blocking in the modeling grows stronger as you get closer in time.  It appears that this could be a culprit from low solar???  I read somewhere before that there usually is a lag period when we have low sunspots and the previous 2 years have been extremely low.  It's not just one model that is doing this...pretty much all of them. 

Speaking of blocking, overnight 00z EPS is really amplifying the pattern for Labor Day weekend across North America.  Labor Day weekend Autumn Chill is being advertising on this run.  The model is trending colder across the board.  I'll have to fire up a Sept thread either today or tomorrow.  Got a feeling we will be busy posting on here.  Pattern looks very active.

cannot waittttttt

I'm a very excited father as my son is a 9th grader and has his first JV Football game this evening at 6:30 PM.  Game time temp is supposed to be 94 degrees.  Thankfully they have plenty of players so they should get enough breaks.  Kids here have to bring their own water jugs to practices and games so they are not sharing from the water machine.  I know athletes are getting tired of the hot weather just like everyone else.  I told him this morning if he can make it through Thursday, there are cooler days ahead.  

• Like 4