The Weather Forums

August 2020 Observations and Discussion

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't usually post here in the summer but todays winds are worthy. 133000 customers with no power at peak (do the math- that's all of DSM metro and burbs) What got me was that 50 mph winds lasted near

I had to rub my eyes when I saw these temps for the opening days of September...@CentralNeb, the Euro is making your wish come true...daytime highs in the 60's???  @Fargo, your gonna feel the Autumn c

Hello from the Black hills of South Dakota! Never been here before and up here with the in-laws; what a geologic wonder! Took a train today from Hill City to Keystone and the outcrop of limestone and

Posted Images

Well it’s looking like the awful rain/storm season might continue here in the Omaha metro tonight. Solid line of storms to our west has nearly broken apart and the best storm cell of the day was directly west of us, and decided to drop straight south while the rest of the line was moving due east.

I am throwing in the towel on the storm season for the rest of the summer if we can’t get anything to develop towards our area tonight... moderate drought conditions must beget severe drought around here this year. With what looks like two weeks of bone dry weather upcoming, things are going to get much worse before they get better.

• Like 2

Well it’s looking like the awful rain/storm season might continue here in the Omaha metro tonight. Solid line of storms to our west has nearly broken apart and the best storm cell of the day was directly west of us, and decided to drop straight south while the rest of the line was moving due east.

I am throwing in the towel on the storm season for the rest of the summer if we can’t get anything to develop towards our area tonight... moderate drought conditions must beget severe drought around here this year. With what looks like two weeks of bone dry weather upcoming, things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Front moved through here dry as usual. Dew has dropped from 77 to now 68. Really been a very poor rain and storm season in my immediate area. Many others north and south have had an unbelievable year. The haves and have nots continues. Can it change for the snow season?

• Like 1

Hoping our CR members are doing ok. Sounds like much of CR still is without power, etc. That's probably why they aren't posting on here, plus probably also to busy with clean up/repair or maybe just trying to survive!

• Like 2

I must've been in a lucky spot as there was some wind damage all across my community as well though mainly just numerous larger branches and some trees blown down.

We have a large tree here that still bears the scars from the 1998 derecho. It's lopsided but to close to a building (with branches arching over the roof) to cut down. Makes nice shade as well.

• Like 1

PHX topped out at 117F yesterday which tied the record for the day and I don't see temps getting that high in the near future.  Hey, even Skilling is talking about the record Heat out here in the desert SW.  I didn't know it was the all-time hottest temp for the month of August.  Pretty incredible.

1.jpg

• Like 2

Hoping our CR members are doing ok. Sounds like much of CR still is without power, etc. That's probably why they aren't posting on here, plus probably also to busy with clean up/repair or maybe just trying to survive!

Just trying to survive! Still no power. Trying to help neighbors since my yard is taken care of. So glad the cold front has arrived. House was getting really hot and making it a struggle to keep temp up in fridge and freezer. Hoping to have power by Tuesday.

• Like 4

FAR reported 1.86" of precip yesterday. Good dousing considering this is likely our last chance of appreciable rain for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21:

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 0.0"            Coldest Low: 30*F (9/9)

First flake of the season:

Attm, its 71F under mostly cloudy skies. Dew is on the muggy side. T'stms are expected today as a CF approaches w a nice relief next week. All of next week is gorgeous w tons of sunshine and low humidity along w temps in the 70s and 80s for highs and lows in the 50s.

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI

333 AM EDT Sat Aug 15 2020

MIZ047>049-053>055-060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-160845-

Midland-Bay-Huron-Saginaw-Tuscola-Sanilac-Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-

St. Clair-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-Monroe-

333 AM EDT Sat Aug 15 2020

This hazardous weather outlook is for southeast Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Widely scattered thunderstorm activity is expected to develop this

afternoon with the heating of the day and last into the evening

hours. A cold front is then expected to bring additional

thunderstorms overnight. Isolated severe thunderstorms are possible

with the afternoon and early evening activity. Damaging winds to 60

mph, hail to around 1 inch, and localized flooding are the main

hazards. Storm motion looks to be variable around 10 mph.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday

There is a chance of lingering thunderstorms Sunday morning.

TS Kyle and Josephine will be no harm to anyone in the US, as they will remain in the Atlantic and moving away. Only exception is that Bermuda "might" see some of Josephine's affects, but nothing extreme. Probably just some wind n rain and wave action.

Just trying to survive! Still no power. Trying to help neighbors since my yard is taken care of. So glad the cold front has arrived. House was getting really hot and making it a struggle to keep temp up in fridge and freezer. Hoping to have power by Tuesday.

Thinking of you all out there in the Cedar Rapids area as well as the rest of Central and Eastern Iowa, as well as Northern Illinois/Chicagoland as the recovery continues. I am hoping that you get your power restored as soon as possible. We all get a little guilty sometimes (being weather enthusiasts) of looking forward to witnessing and experiencing severe weather events like the derecho, flooding, hurricanes, and tornadoes, only to have to pull back when we have to live through the aftermath with cleaning up property damage and enduring long duration power outages. 

It's amazing how outside of the Midwest there has been very little coverage of the derecho... it sounds like supplies and aid have been coming your way from every direction, and I am very thankful that Iowans are tough and hard-working people that will work together to make the absolute best of a terrible situation. Take care out there and keep us posted on the recovery efforts as we are thinking about our neighbors out to the east. 

• Like 4

yuk Tom. None of those years are worth crap here in fall or winter. :(

I just came back from a walk around the Fountain and it’s already 94F at 8:30! I’m telling ya, it’s a different way of living out here.

• Like 1

Thinking of you all out there in the Cedar Rapids area as well as the rest of Central and Eastern Iowa, as well as Northern Illinois/Chicagoland as the recovery continues. I am hoping that you get your power restored as soon as possible. We all get a little guilty sometimes (being weather enthusiasts) of looking forward to witnessing and experiencing severe weather events like the derecho, flooding, hurricanes, and tornadoes, only to have to pull back when we have to live through the aftermath with cleaning up property damage and enduring long duration power outages.

It's amazing how outside of the Midwest there has been very little coverage of the derecho... it sounds like supplies and aid have been coming your way from every direction, and I am very thankful that Iowans are tough and hard-working people that will work together to make the absolute best of a terrible situation. Take care out there and keep us posted on the recovery efforts as we are thinking about our neighbors out to the east.

Thanks for the kind words man. It has been amazing to witness the efforts from everyone. There was so much debris everywhere it was overwhelming to figure out where to start. I heard that over 2500 power poles were down In the city alone. On top of that over half the Cities substations were pulled out of the ground. Major infrastructure has been destroyed which is the reason for the extended outages.

At downtown Detroit currently in a Greek restaurant called "Pegasus Taverna." I've been here b4. Great spot. Excellent prices. Terrific food. Check it out! I know the owner, great friend.

http://pegasustavernas.com/wp-content/gallery/pegasus/Pegasus-Tavern_EW-96.JPG

This.... Is a new one

FB_IMG_1597537442355.jpg

• Like 2

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21:

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 0.0"            Coldest Low: 30*F (9/9)

First flake of the season:

Here’s a link to a video by Nick Stewart of KGAN CBS2 of the derecho. It’s not that much to see and maybe you saw it, but winds were actually strong enough to blow out his rear windows! And those should be harder to break than larger house windows. The reason I know it’s the rear windows is I saw a photo of it elsewhere.

https://youtu.be/22-iUyxlLl0

• Like 2

Here’s a link to a video by Nick Stewart of KGAN CBS2 of the derecho. It’s not that much to see and maybe you saw it, but winds were actually strong enough to blow out his rear windows! And those should be harder to break than larger house windows. The reason I know it’s the rear windows is I saw a photo of it elsewhere.

https://youtu.be/22-iUyxlLl0

My goodness, the power and fury that Mother Nature can generate is amazing and humbling at the same time.  Like Brian said earlier, us wx enthusiasts love to see active weather but when we have to deal with the aftermath it becomes real. The understanding that this video is only 4 minutes long, when reports stated it lasted 20 minutes or more, you can't help but wonder how those in the epicenter felt while going through this storm head on.  It must have been nerve wrecking.

I saw this map of the power outages and it looks like Hawkeye's place is in the red area....hope to hear from him soon!

1.jpg

• Like 1

Yay, storm chances have suddenly popped up into the valley today and tomorrow.  High rez models are showing storms firing up along the Rim and pushing S/SW into the eastern valley where I'm at.  I'd love to see some storms today.

hrrr_ref_frzn_swus_fh9-18 (1).gif

No rain fell here yesterday. For the month I have recorded 1.43” of rain fall. We are now at the half way point for August 2020 and here are some stats from around the state of Michigan. At Grand Rapids the mean so far is 71.0 that is good for a departure of -0.7° the highest reading so far has been 89 and the lowest 52. And there had been 1.34” of rain fall. At Muskegon the mean is 71.8 and that is a departure of +1.0 the highest reading there is 91 and the lowest 49. They have recorded 2.01” of rain. At Lansing the mean is 70.4 that is -0.3 the high/low there so far is 90/49 and they have recorded 1.39” of rain. At Detroit the mean is 73.4 and that is a departure of +0.6 the highest reading there so far 90 and the lowest 57. At Flint the mean is 69.2 and that is a departure of -0.5 the high/low there for the month 88/48 and they have reported 1.46” of rain. At Saginaw the mean 71.3 that is a departure of +1.5 the high for the month so far 89 and the low 50. At Alpena the mean there is 68.3 that is a departure of +1.8 the highest reading for the month 91 and the lowest 49. They have had just 0.90” of rain fall. At the Sault the mean of 68.7 is 3.1 above average. They have had 1.66” of rain fall and at Marquette the mean there is 65.2 and that is +0.5 the highest for the month so far is 85 and the lowest was a cool 42.

Hello from Champaign, IL! Heading out to Tennessee and North Carolina with my girlfriend to visit her sister in Knoxville (who is a meteorologist btw!) and then go see my brother for a couple days. Be home next weekend. Went through Cedar Rapids yesterday. Even though a lot of cleanup has taken place there is still a lot to do. Definitely looked like a hurricane blasted through there!

• Like 3

Getting a nice soaker this evening. Heavy rain and wind, not too much thunder. It’s been a dry August so far.

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2016-17: 7.5"

2017-18: 21.4"

2018-19: 55.5"

2019-20: 17.6"  

Average: 25.9"

Picked up a quick half inch of rain in my backyard in Southwest Omaha, I didn’t expect much of anything tonight so this makes up for getting the shaft on Friday. Plus the clouds that preceded the storms were pretty photogenic, will have to post a picture of them when I get my computer.

Areas to our west and south definitely got into the better action again, however I am thankful for what we got today on a 30% chance.

• Like 1

Tom, are you seeing any dust storms in Arizona? It looks like Phoenix is getting hit with one right now. I guess its still better than a "firenado."

Webcams showing the wall of dust approaching downtown PHX:

https://www.phoenix.gov/citycam

I’m in the far northeast valley and it’s clear here, however, I was just near PHX where those web cams are. I saw a bit of dust when I headed east out of the PHX area. This is the first time this season where I saw towering storm clouds that had far reaching anvil cloud tops obscure the hot sun about 2 hours ago. It was a pleasant sight to see.

• Like 1

As Bryan mentioned, the Monsoon finally made an appearance yesterday into parts of the valley.  Unfortunately, the cells that were heading right for my place literally disintegrated and blew up W/NW of me and hit the NW/W valley instead.  Those were the storms that formed a large wall of dust that blew through the west side of the valley.

https://www.12news.com/article/weather/severe-weather-making-its-way-across-arizona/75-8af71aed-4754-4f3e-89ff-4774a75231e6

We might get a repeat performance today as storms roll off the mountains and head S/SW into the valley.  Another record breaking day in the forecast as temps peak near 115F today.

• Like 1

I still do not have power so I can’t upload my video, but saw this video today of the footage here in CR. This gives you a great perspective as it captures the entire thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pBkPichBlt8

OMG, what a perspective...I'm mind blown how wild this derecho was for CR.  This storm system is a learning curve for me as I never knew these systems could last this long.  I always thought they came with very strong winds on the front end.  This derecho delivered waves upon waves of intense wind gusts.  If I remember correctly, the worst of the storm came at the 14:00 min mark!  Unbelievable.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

I still do not have power so I can’t upload my video, but saw this video today of the footage here in CR. This gives you a great perspective as it captures the entire thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pBkPichBlt8

Wicked winds. Just crazy!

- Last time I saw these winds were back in June, 2010 in Great Neck, NY and Sept 16, 2010, in Brooklyn, where trees were all knocked down from a Derecho, but did not last nearly as long as this one did in Iowa.

Sept 16th, 2010 Vid: I was there getting ready to hop on the subway W train in Brooklyn

https://youtu.be/-qz61oFNVZs

• Like 2

As the saying goes, “sharing is caring”...Mother Nature is putting on a show and delivering quite the monsoon haboob! I saw a double rainbow (again), a wall of dust that you can taste and smell in the air and quite the lighting as the sun sets and darkness ensues. East side of the valley getting some much welcomed moisture from this severe cell.

• Like 2

Wow, just insane! I also happened to find this video this evening and planned to share it on here if no one did yet, but see you have already posted:)
  • Like 2

Nws updated Peak wind speeds to 130 mph!! That radio tower was just north of my house.

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_081020

Pretty sure the state record non tornadic wind gust is 120mph per a disco I had with the NWS last week at this time. So if the130 is verified it should be a state record but probably will not because it was not "measured". Screenshot_2020-08-18 US National Weather Service Des Moines Iowa - Posts.png

• Like 6

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The beat goes on, PHX broke another record high yesterday topping out at 115F and may set another record low high this morning with a current temp of 93F.  It was nice to see and feel the monsoon last evening.  I'm sure when daylight appears there will be a layer of dust on everything outside bc we didn't get the rain to wash it away.  

• Like 3

It's like a hurricane. Insane!
  • Like 2

Pretty sure the state record non tornadic wind gust is 120mph per a disco I had with the NWS last week at this time. So if the130 is verified it should be a state record but probably will not because it was not "measured". attachicon.gifScreenshot_2020-08-18 US National Weather Service Des Moines Iowa - Posts.png

I usually thought they said that the highest measured unofficial Iowa non tornadic gust was 125 mph at Washington on 6/29/98, but this graphic shows 123 mph. Not much difference really, and it’s unofficial for eastern Iowa.

6-B945-C55-5290-462-F-B4-E6-3-E9579502-A

• Like 1

It will certainly be a chilly one tanite as temp drop into the upper 40s and lower 50s under crystal clear skies and calm winds. Do I dare a "Bonfire" going?!

I think you misread or misunderstood what they meant. The title reads ‘bolt FROM the blue’, ie a lightning strike seemingly out of the blue sky overhead except that it was from a nearby t. storm. I’m guessing it was a positive strike out of an anvil which are more dangerous. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

The think you misread or misunderstood what they meant. The title reads ‘bolt FROM the blue’, ie a lightning strike seemingly out of the blue sky overhead except that it was from a nearby t. storm. I’m guessing it was a positive strike out of an anvil which are more dangerous. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

This is what possibly happened......One of the 2 is a possibility;

boltblueaccu.jpg?w=632

"This is an example of 'bolt from the blue' coming out the side of a storm cloud OR an "Storm Anvil."

Per Accu-weather: from Ferrell

"A storm anvil is an elongated cloud that forms on top of a thunderstorm when rising clouds meet the top of the troposphere -- the part of the atmosphere that contains the weather -- and spread out," Ferrell explained. Ferrell was able to use graphics to recreate the storm anvil associated with this lightning strike, a visual that can be seen in the video at the top of this article.

A bolt from the blue can also be "a cloud-to-ground strike which comes out of the side of the thunderstorm cloud," according to the National Severe Storms Laboratory. In this case, it's not possible to tell whether the bolt came from the storm anvil or out of the side of the thunderstorm cloud, Ferrell said.  Both can be very dangerous!

Finally, I don't think I misread or misunderstood what they meant. I know exactly what the title reads! No correction needed there.

• Like 1

I suppose you’re tired of watching derecho videos, but there’s nothing much else to talk about around here. The rest of August is looking mostly dry here attm, and already very dry!

A drought mixed in with a nearly once in a lifetime storm for parts of Iowa, plus COVID-19. I have much to be thankful for though!

This is what possibly happened......One of the 2 is a possibility;

boltblueaccu.jpg?w=632

"This is an example of 'bolt from the blue' coming out the side of a storm cloud OR an "Storm Anvil."

Per Accu-weather: from Ferrell

"A storm anvil is an elongated cloud that forms on top of a thunderstorm when rising clouds meet the top of the troposphere -- the part of the atmosphere that contains the weather -- and spread out," Ferrell explained. Ferrell was able to use graphics to recreate the storm anvil associated with this lightning strike, a visual that can be seen in the video at the top of this article.

A bolt from the blue can also be "a cloud-to-ground strike which comes out of the side of the thunderstorm cloud," according to the National Severe Storms Laboratory. In this case, it's not possible to tell whether the bolt came from the storm anvil or out of the side of the thunderstorm cloud, Ferrell said.  Both can be very dangerous!

Finally, I don't think I misread or misunderstood what they meant. I know exactly what the title reads! No correction needed there.

Ok, all is good. I was just going by how your headline read, but maybe you copied it. No harm meant.
  • Like 1