The Weather Forums

September 2020 WxObs & Discussion

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The house still stands. They let us in to check on the animals. Without the dogs there 4 of the chickens and 1 of the ducks have been killed, but the sheep and pig are doing well. We hauled fresh wate

Power went out around 8pm last night. The wind was insane. Sheriff came at 6am and said go now. We are safe, we probably having nothing left but the clothes on our backs. Were able to save to dogs and

12Z ECMWF is a very wet run...  

Posted Images

00Z EPS shows western OR being ground zero for heat on Labor Day...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-1day-

Its shows warmth through the entire run and is still warm at day 15... 

8-15 day mean:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-7day-

Day 15...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-strea

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA summer temp stats:

June  +0.9

July +1.3

August  +1.8

That averages to +1.3 for the entire summer... which is in the range of UHI at that station.    So it was basically a normal summer.    

anomimage-14.png

Although Randy's area was colder than normal.    :)

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

SEA summer temp stats:

June +0.9

July +1.3

August +1.8

That averages to +1.3 for the entire summer... which is in the range of UHI at that station. So it was basically a normal summer.

anomimage-14.png

Although Randy's area was colder than normal. :)

I’m in the dark green! Was definitely a chilly summer up here.

We will see how this heat wave pans out....I’m guessing we get 5 more 80+ days and 2 85+ days. I doubt we will actually hit 90 here again this summer so close to the water.

September rainfall 0.00” 80+ -15 85+ -3 90+ -1 hottest day-97

Someone needs to pin this.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 36.14" 

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"
2012-13: 16.75"
2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

The soil moisture content in the south valley around Eugene needs to be near an all-time low. Three of the driest years on record now, its hard to even describe how dry and parched the landscape is down there. Has to make a difference with temp anomalies right now. 

And I responded to your post...You should feel even more embarrassed.

And I responded to your post... it just gets worse.    :)

• Like 1

The soil moisture content in the south valley around Eugene needs to be near an all-time low. Three of the driest years on record now, its hard to even describe how dry and parched the landscape is down there. Has to make a difference with temp anomalies right now. 

It's been dry no doubt but I have questioned EUG's precip data for awhile. They seem to be a bit of an outlier. I'm wondering if they have relocated some equipment in the last decade.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?or1897

Cottage Grove is another long term station in the south valley and they show a near historically dry year in 2018, a slightly dry year in 2019, and a near average 2020 so far. And their numbers are consistently way ahead of EUG even though their historic averages are very similar.

It's been dry no doubt but I have questioned EUG's precip data for awhile. They seem to be a bit of an outlier. I'm wondering if they have relocated some equipment in the last decade.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?or1897

Cottage Grove is another long term station in the south valley and they show a near historically dry year in 2018, a slightly dry year in 2019, and a near average 2020 so far. And their numbers are consistently way ahead of EUG even though their historic averages are very similar.

Well the landscape certainly looks more parched.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 19-20 Stats:

• Coldest high: 34 (Nov 30)
  • Coldest low: 20 (Nov 29)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 63 (Most recent: Apr 14)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Continuing this discussion from the August thread....

Climo's a 8itch dude. We're probably not going to see 16 days in a row of 99th percentile ridging.

It's a sharp event centered around the 7th-9th and the ensembles have pretty consistently shown a crash between the 10th-13th. Whether it's as dramatic as the 12z shows with highs in the 50s remains to be seen, although it would fit the historic pattern after historic early month ridging (Septembers 1944 and 1988 both had rather chilly troughs mid month).

FWIW... the 12Z GEFS shows a weak break down by next Saturday but the trough splits on arrival.    Not too dramatic but cooler than what the EPS is showing.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850-anom-str

12Z ECMWF shifted slightly west again... minor details but it keeps it more reasonable.   Only low 80s for the Seattle area northward all weekend per the ECMWF. 

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF shifted slightly west again... minor details but it keeps it more reasonable. Only low 80s for the Seattle area northward all weekend per the ECMWF.

So mostly 70’s at my place then.

Euro looks way better. Would be a ranging east wind though so hopefully no new fire starts.

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 1.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 0.0"

Highest snow depth: 0.0"

Coldest high: 45.0º

Coldest low: 27.1º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

So mostly 70’s at my place then.

Why can't you lament the unbearable, intolerable, hell on Earth heat like the rest of us?     Geez Randy.    You are going to have to suffer through temps in the 70s.   I can't imagine why your preferences are different.    ;)

Here is Sunday...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m-f-max

• Like 2

12Z ECMWF is much hotter next week for western WA so Randy might get to 80 at some point!  

Here is day 9 (next Thursday)...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m-f-max

• Like 2

That is not much of a break down at day 10 either... with a weak trough sliding through BC. Similar feature to the GEFS but much warmer on the ECMWF.

20200901-120919.jpg

• Like 1

70 and sunny at noon...excellent day excited to see the full moon tonight and do check out some of the other planets in the sky. Hoping that this early September heatwave isn’t too excessive and long lasting. I can’t imagine it’ll torch too much after the first 1/3 of the month as were really starting to have shorter days and longer nights.

75 and sunny here in north Idaho at noon and exactly the same at home.

This August was 0.9 degrees cooler than last August...66.3 last year vs 65.4 this year. Another interesting note...only 4 days 80+ in August this year which is the least amount of 80+ days I’ve had in the month of August. This should also set up September to have more 80+ days than the month of August which has never happened either.

FWIW... the 12Z EPS does not show any break down through day 15.

Here is the 10-15 day period:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-5day-

And day 15....

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-strea

• Like 2

Hope this pattern lasts until Christmas.

The exact same 500mb pattern would gradually become pretty murky and foggy and cold if it persisted through Christmas.   

It would be sunny and in the 50s at the passes though.    :)

Euro is really struggling.

Euro is really struggling.

EPS has been showing a heat wave starting about now for 2 weeks. It could not have been more consistent with the overall pattern. Just minor changes in the details.

I would not bet against the EPS right now.

• Like 1

I want the EPS to be right. Please god let the EPS be right for once in my life.

Stupid edit.

Especially from the person who was saying 2 weeks ago that the EPS was going to be wrong.

I would say the same thing if it was accurately consistent with cold and showing the cold continuing. I would not bet against it.

Stupid edit.

Especially from the person who was saying 2 weeks ago that the EPS was going to be wrong.

I would say the same thing if it was accurately consistent with cold and showing the cold continuing. I would not bet against it.

Ur giving him what he craves.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

There is a historically long September heat wave forecast.

Can we please get even more heat?

So bet against the EPS. Nature will do what you want.