The Weather Forums

September 2020 WxObs & Discussion

Does my username still take up 2 rows?

Springfield, Oregon cold season 19-20 Stats:

• Coldest high: 34 (Nov 30)
  • Coldest low: 20 (Nov 29)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 63 (Most recent: Apr 14)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The house still stands. They let us in to check on the animals. Without the dogs there 4 of the chickens and 1 of the ducks have been killed, but the sheep and pig are doing well. We hauled fresh wate

12Z ECMWF is a very wet run...  

Give me a snowflake reaction if you enjoy waking up to new snow falling on top of old snow (Which is actually on top of other snow).    Snow. 

Posted Images

The new format isn't ideal for me so far. I guess I'm the only one here who primarily uses a desktop, and the only one who prefers to browse without logging in unless I have something specific to post.

• Like 1

Wonder who will toss the first hook on the new interface?

Personal Stats:

1 minute ago, Eujunga said:

The new format isn't ideal for me so far. I guess I'm the only one here who primarily uses a desktop, and the only one who prefers to browse without logging in unless I have something specific to post.

Yeah was gonna say my username is taking up multiple rows on my desktop and it looks awkward there. But this mobile interface is way better.

Personal Stats:

8 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Does my username still take up 2 rows?

On desktop it does.

Your name shows up as TigerwoodsLibid

O

1 hour ago, rsktkr said:

The warnings look dire.

WeatherStory1.pngpqr.pngPortland-OR.png

I'm taking the family to the Coast tomorrow. Gust up to 45-60mph, sounds like fun. 😁

• Like 1

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

39 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

I'm actually pretty excited about tomorrow. First exciting weather since our March blizzard.

Crown Point was closed last time I checked but it would be pretty cool to go up there tomorrow night and experience those winds first hand.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Wow this new and improved format is going to be awesome this winter when I am posting non stop pics of me clearing my driveway with my mower plow! I don’t have to go to desktop mode!! Oh and I did make it to the lake...Was PERFECTION!! 

31E9B20E-F962-448E-AEBF-09A1188075D5.jpeg

Take some getting used to on iPad.  I’m used to the whole screen being used. Other then that it looks and feels good 😎

DDA0A322-074A-42B0-91DF-BB89AF2B4057.png

It’s a small thing but I was also curious if there is a way to hide the sidebar on the right.

5D8BB95C-6B0F-426E-AB1D-C94FC1C9F491.jpeg

It kind of makes sense at the top of the page but everything looks more pushed over as you scroll down.

EA8606DF-DDBE-403A-BB36-59269CB1FEB3.jpeg

And wow. Adding photos is way easier!!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

I'll work to make this better. I'm still doing some behind the scenes cleanup but I hope to get some themes and formatting stuff done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Snow 3
7 hours ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The bus takes people from Aspen Highlands. We parked there at the Aspen Village Parking lot, got on the bus to the Bells, and then after took the free bus to downtown Aspen and back again when we were done.

https://www.rfta.com/routes/maroon-bells/

I have been to the Swiss and Austrian Alps, the Canadian Rockies, the Cascades of course, Alaska and other places. This was as good, if not better, then all of them. May not be the biggest mountains, though they are plenty big enough, but just the shape, the lake in front, and all the fall colors was breathtaking.

Thank you. I’m not planning to go until January but next time I will try and plan ahead for the fall.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, iFred said:

I'll work to make this better. I'm still doing some behind the scenes cleanup but I hope to get some themes and formatting stuff done.

I see you added a snow emoji , good choice

Calling it a night. Side bar stuff might take a bit. As for iPad's looking weird, the update treats the iPad user agent as a desktop browser. I'll play around with this tomorrow with my iPad. If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to DM me.

• Thanks 2

Thoughts on the offshore wind event tomorrow? Surprise models haven’t backed off much on widespread 35-50 mph gusts over the PDX metro— rare for this time of the year.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, iFred said:

Calling it a night. Side bar stuff might take a bit. As for iPad's looking weird, the update treats the iPad user agent as a desktop browser. I'll play around with this tomorrow with my iPad. If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to DM me.

The side bar thing isn't a huge issue. I just wasn't sure if there was a way to collapse it that I didn't know about since that seems like a common feature with that sort of thing.

Overall the updates are great. Posting pictures is about a million times easier.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Thoughts on the offshore wind event tomorrow? Surprise models haven’t backed off much on widespread 35-50 mph gusts over the PDX metro— rare for this time of the year.

New blog post from Mark!

"I’ve never seen a high wind setup (for the foothills and Cascades) this early in the “Fall east wind season”. This is unusually strong even for November/December, but this hasn’t happened when forests are still totally dry and humidity will be extremely low. This could be a once-in-a-quarter century type of event. I haven’t seen it in my 29 years forecasting here! The Storm Prediction Center has our area under an “extremely critical” fire threat; I don’t think I’ve seen that either"

"That’s a tremendous thermal gradient. So a dry cold front will push south and west across the Pacific Northwest tomorrow afternoon-night. You see the arrival in the WRF-GFS cross-section over Portland. Right around 00z tomorrow (5pm). 60-70kt wind speed around 3,000′ over Portland. That’s amazing; I’ve never seen that in September/October, and it’s very rare anytime in the cold season. So we’re in a bit of uncharted territory here."

https://www.kptv.com/weather/blog/extreme-fire-weather-next-48-hours-includes-damaging-wind-for-some/article_9f381716-f0be-11ea-9a76-47427495df5f.html

• Thanks 1

Testing the image uploading. Any excuse for a 2/25/19 pic. 

7F674A2E-5395-4B72-9734-2515AA86B7FD.jpeg

• Snow 7

Personal Stats:

Great remodel.

19 minutes ago, iFred said:

34 minutes ago, iFred said:

Wish there was a way to link/run a wunderground widget.

Some good tips from Mark on his blog post.

WHAT YOU CAN DO THE NEXT 2 DAYS

• Stay out of the woods and travel only on graveled/paved roads. Never drive over grass once your vehicle warms up.
  • If you live in a rural/forest area DO NOT MOW or do anything outside that can create a spark during this time
  • No cigarettes, fireworks, or shooting practice (Pit Fire near Estacada started this way)
  • If you live in the foothills of the Cascades or western Gorge, be prepared to leave home quickly if needed and stay alert. I still have my camping trailer hooked up since we just got home. I decided to leave it that way until Tuesday night…just in case. It happened 3 years ago…

• Thanks 3
  • Kek 1

4 minutes ago, GobBluth said:

18z was showing the same. Eps different?

12Z EPS was looking more zonal by day 15:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-0689600.png

• Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

70F out there. Can see some stars through the smoke.

Personal Stats:

Smoke tomorrow afternoon...

2020090700_V2020090800Z_gemmach_PM2.5_diffplot_column_continental_24.png

And Tuesday afternoon...

2020090700_V2020090900Z_gemmach_PM2.5_diffplot_column_continental_48.png

• Thanks 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Should be interesting to see what impact the onset time of the winds has on temps tomorrow.

There seems to be somewhat of a consensus regarding a pretty decent compressional heating element as offshore flow kicks in, prior to the cold advection getting going.

• Like 1
  • Kek 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Interesting that they decided to go with a HWW— still, any winds above 40 mph during September (widespread) is impressive, fire danger not withstanding. The added extreme fire conditions will make this little event even more impactful— I think 35-50 is the general consensus at this point.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

7 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Interesting that they decided to go with a HWW— still, any winds above 40 mph during September (widespread) is impressive, fire danger not withstanding. The added extreme fire conditions will make this little event even more impactful— I think 35-50 is the general consensus at this point.

I read the AFD that they decided due to potential impact with unpruned tree limbs as the kicker on why they went with the HWW.