The Weather Forums

September 2020 WxObs & Discussion

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The house still stands. They let us in to check on the animals. Without the dogs there 4 of the chickens and 1 of the ducks have been killed, but the sheep and pig are doing well. We hauled fresh wate

THIS IS A TEST. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE OR REPLY TO THIS POST, YOU WILL GET A WARM AND BORING WINTER.

You all suck. Please give me the full assortment of emoticons. Thanks.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think we can all be happy and thankful that nature delivered a way to knock down the monthly averages.   

In the end... its the monthly departures that will be remembered and cherished when thinking back on September 2020.    That is what is really important right Jim?

I used the down arrow on this one BTW.

• Thanks 4
  • Angry 1
22 minutes ago, Cloud said:

SEA is gonna be running a -15F compared to yesterday. Look like the worst is yet to come.

It’s slowly getting more dense as the day goes on. AQI index getting worse probably will get to the 300-400 range. 

September rainfall 0.00” 80+ -15 85+ -3 90+ -1 hottest day-97

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think we can all be happy and thankful that nature delivered a way to knock down the monthly averages.   

In the end... its the monthly departures that will be remembered and cherished when thinking back on September 2020.    That is what is really important right Jim?

To put this in perspective. SEA average HIGH for the first 10 days this September is 83.1F. During this period, SEA with 1 day in the 70s. Average high for this period is in the low 70s. So running a good +10F. It all may even out by the end of the month but with what the EPS is showing in couple weeks, it may not knock the average down all that much for this month.

• Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I wonder if Dubai is usually that bad. Probably.

I’m actually more interested to know why Beijing or HK is not on the list. Do these cities not get recorded?

Just now, Cloud said:

To put this in perspective. SEA average HIGH for the first 10 days this September is 83.1F. During this period, SEA with 1 day in the 70s. Average high for this period is in the low 70s. So running a good +10F. It all may even out by the end of the month but with what the EPS is showing in couple weeks, it may not knock the average down all that much for this month.

Regardless of monthly averages... hopefully the air begins to clear out by Sunday afternoon and it rains next week and the weather patterns dictate the temperatures and not a thick layer of smoke.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Pretty obvious from the 850mb map why the smoke inversion is so strong today.    Hopefully the intrusion of cooler air by Monday morning is enough to allow the inversion to break and the smoke to ventilate out.

ecmwf_T850a_us_1.png

ecmwf_T850a_us_4.png

• Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I’m actually more interested to know why Beijing or HK is not on the list. Do these cities not get recorded?

Yeah, good point. I was always under the impression Beijing was the most polluted city in the world.

And China reopened their economy months ago, so that shouldn't be why.

Low. Solar.

Really bad here now.  We have a very clear smoke smell in the air with vis probably a mile or so.  N-95 masks do help.  I have some and it really cuts down on how bad it smells.  I was able to work outside whereas I started to feel challenged to get enough air without one earlier in the day.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2019-20 stats

Total Snowfall = 3.7"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 3

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 20

Lows 32 or below = 60

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 1

Highs 40 or below = 10

Even the EPS is beginning to look decent going forward now.  Looks seasonable and maybe on the cool side at times.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2019-20 stats

Total Snowfall = 3.7"

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 20

Lows 32 or below = 60

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 1

Highs 40 or below = 10

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Even the EPS is beginning to look decent going forward now.  Looks seasonable and maybe on the cool side at times.

EPS looks fairly warm next week for WA and shows a trough for next weekend... then shows a big ridge returning for week 2.  

• Sun 1

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Really bad here now.  We have a very clear smoke smell in the air with vis probably a mile or so.  N-95 masks do help.  I have some and it really cuts down on how bad it smells.  I was able to work outside whereas I started to feel challenged to get enough air without one earlier in the day.

Glad you have some! I have an N95 mask as well it’s a must if your going to be outside more than an hour. 

September rainfall 0.00” 80+ -15 85+ -3 90+ -1 hottest day-97

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

As far as I am concerned, the sooner summer ends, the better. Once the smoke starts, I’m done with summer.

Its already fall and has been for 11 days.  :)

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Glad you have some! I have an N95 mask as well it’s a must if your going to be outside more than an hour. 

I had a whole box going into all of this.  Really goods ones too.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2019-20 stats

Total Snowfall = 3.7"

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 20

Lows 32 or below = 60

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 1

Highs 40 or below = 10

32 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Beijing is usually on those lists in the winter or mid summer if dust is blowing in. HK is rarely on those lists.

Smoke has finally oozed in out here... smells like a campfire outside now.    

• Rain 1

23 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The main smoke shield is heading into Montana by Sunday morning...

trc1_int_f48 (1).png

Dislike. Hopefully it pushes through quickly. Can't complain though, our skies have been brilliantly clear for the past week now.

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 1.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 0.0"

Highest snow depth: 0.0"

Coldest high: 45.0º

Coldest low: 27.1º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

6 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Actually looks better than over here at the moment. 

Yeah it’s getting bad. Oh well, at least my 6yr old is having fun in the water...But I’m probably going to need to pull the boat out and head back to the house soon since the rest of us old folks are starting to cough. 

57F54F46-5ED8-45F3-8AB9-EB5032D95E4E.jpeg

• Haha 1

Smoke is now getting pulled into that low way offshore. Will be interesting to see how the smoke interacts with the low dynamics. I would imagine it might give the models some fits.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-continental-w_conus-02-21_41Z-20200911_counties-map_-100-1n-10-100.gif

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Confused 1

Cold Season 2020/21:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

1 minute ago, GeorgeWx said:

This just made my day we need this

It does look pretty enticing right about now.

• Excited 1

Just now, Kayla said:

Smoke is now getting pulled into that low way offshore. Will be interesting to see how the smoke interacts with the low dynamics. I would imagine it might give the models some fits.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-continental-w_conus-02-21_41Z-20200911_counties-map_-100-1n-10-100.gif

I mentioned this earlier.   I think it might also increase precipitation rates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I mentioned this earlier.   I think it might also increase precipitation rates.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

• Rain 1

Cold Season 2020/21:

3 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

What is the logic behind that?

Its like cloud seeding... adding particulate matter for water droplets to adhere to and then fall as rain instead of remaining suspended in the cloud.

Cloud seeding is a type of weather modification that aims to change the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei, which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4z8ZiX_eA

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its like cloud seeding... adding particulate matter for water droplets to adhere to and then fall as rain instead of remaining suspended in the cloud.

Cloud seeding is a type of weather modification that aims to change the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei, which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4z8ZiX_eA

I hear that is what Obama used to turn the frogs gay. 🐸 

• Kek 2
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Or maybe not... I am just guessing here.   This says that wildfire smoke suppresses rainfall.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/02/040227073358.htm

I guess we'll see. Such a large amount of smoke out there has to have some kind of significant impact on the outcome of this. Will be very interesting to watch how this impacts the modeling. 

• Popcorn 1

Andrew... based on your facebook post it sounds like your house is still there right?

They said they have not lost any structures in your fire district.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

Dirty Low 2020

Unsure how I feel about this 🤢