Global Warming discussion: is it a hoax?

What part didn't make sense? The part where 7 BILLION people on a planet are affecting the climate? Makes plenty of sense to me, but that's my opinion and of course you're allowed to have yours :P

That's the ironic part. 7 Billion people cannot effect the climate. The earth is 4.5 BILLION years old and has been through far worse than we can throw at it, aside from nuclear holocaust. Climate has been fluctuating for billions of years, no such thing as normal. One major volcanic eruption spews more gas and what not in the atmosphere than all the human emissions combined. Tiz all a farce...  :o 

• Like 1

That's the ironic part. 7 Billion people cannot effect the climate. The earth is 4.5 BILLION years old and has been through far worse than we can throw at it, aside from nuclear holocaust. Climate has been fluctuating for billions of years, no such thing as normal. One major volcanic eruption spews more gas and what not in the atmosphere than all the human emissions combined. Tiz all a farce...  :o

It's not very hard to believe when CO2 levels are up to over 400 ppm where it has been below 300 ppm for the last 800,000 years. The greenhouse effect is not a farce, but a scientific fact. I will end it right here. Sorry to get off topic, but climate change deniers grinds my gears. Hopefully we can get some interesting weather to track soon. Looks like the end of January into February will get a bit more active.

I could understand your frustration about December and the whole sun angle rising higher in the sky as well as the days getting longer.  It would have been nice to see a snowy December leading up to Christmas and the Holidays  Seems like this year it "knocked the wind out of the sails".

We don't live in Canada where Winter starts in Nov and ends in April.  Over the next 20-30 years, Winters are steadily going to get worse as I believe there is going to be a mini "Ice Age" down the road.  

IMO, we are going to have some exciting weather over the next 4-6 weeks...it all starts the following weekend.

You are also the same person who believes in 'global cooling' when we are in the midst of the warmest year in recent history (where parts of North America are the only region that's been consistently cooler than normal).  I'm not a big believer in global warming myself (I do believe warming is slower than the warmers hyping it) but to me thinking we are going to go through a mini ice age is even more knee jerk.  Who do you think you are fooling in all honesty?

It's not very hard to believe when CO2 levels are up to over 400 ppm where it has been below 300 ppm for the last 800,000 years. The greenhouse effect is not a farce, but a scientific fact. I will end it right here. Sorry to get off topic, but climate change deniers grinds my gears. Hopefully we can get some interesting weather to track soon. Looks like the end of January into February will get a bit more active.

Hey, I understand some of the concern about climate change, but so much of it (UHIs for example) are unavoidable without population control measures that can seem inhumane at times.

You are also the same person who believes in 'global cooling' when we are in the midst of the warmest year in recent history (where parts of North America are the only region that's been consistently cooler than normal).  I'm not a big believer in global warming myself (I do believe warming is slower than the warmers hyping it) but to me thinking we are going to go through a mini ice age is even more knee jerk.  Who do you think you are fooling in all honesty?

I'm not fooling anyone, dig deep and you can find the answers yourself.  The part of the globe that is warming the most is up in the Arctic regions and not in the Tropics (which hold more heat energy).  It takes a lot more energy to cool/warm moist air compared to drier air.  Also, the warming that does in fact happen, occurs in the Winter months which has been causing more blocking in recent years.

Look how cold Africa, South America were last year compared to the rest of the livable world.  Look how cold it was in Antarctica last year (which btw set all time ice records last summer) and the Global Warming enthusiasts blame CO2 gas far that reason...come on now.  I don't believe how NOAA bases their calculations on the planet warming when their OWN Global Model has steadily shown over the past 10 years a decline in global temps!  Just nonsense.

You can see on the charts below that from 1992-2002 the global temp has warmed (due to the PDO cycle and prominent El Ninos).  Since the PDO flip, we are steadily seeing cooling.

Hey, I understand some of the concern about climate change, but so much of it (UHIs for example) are unavoidable without population control measures that can seem inhumane at times.

The goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by the year 2050. It's a very realistic goal and population control measures aren't needed. Substituting natural gas for coal, bio-fuels, more reliance on wind energy and forest management is among many of the actions we can take. I'm a large believer that we have to do everything we can to take care of the Earth. If hypothetically every single climate scientist is wrong (this is not the case of course) we would still be doing the environment some great good. It's a win-win imo... Now we just have to get our politicians and the American people to see the science. This is the last thing have to say about this. Lets all get back on topic now.

I never said I deny the climate is changing, in fact, I completely agree. Its been a changing for 4.5 billion years, there is no such thing as an unchanging climate. CO2 levels mean nothing, its the sun that controls our climate. CO2 is not a pollutant, us human beings exhale CO2 about 12 times per minute. Funny thing is nature has a fabulous method recycling CO2. You guessed it, trees, plants, shrubbery and even weeds. They love CO2 and the best part is, we get oxygen in return. Tiz a wonderful system. We as a people cannot effect the climate, its such an absurd notion it just floors me everytime I think about it. Does this mean we can just pollute at will, of course not. The cleaner we can be all the better, but within reason. All you have to do is follow the money behind all this global warming nonsense, it ain't hard to figure out... :D 

• Like 2

I never said I deny the climate is changing, in fact, I completely agree. Its been a changing for 4.5 billion years, there is no such thing as an unchanging climate. CO2 levels mean nothing, its the sun that controls our climate. CO2 is not a pollutant, us human beings exhale CO2 about 12 times per minute. Funny thing is nature has a fabulous method recycling CO2. You guessed it, trees, plants, shrubbery and even weeds. They love CO2 and the best part is, we get oxygen in return. Tiz a wonderful system. We as a people cannot effect the climate, its such an absurd notion it just floors me everytime I think about it. Does this mean we can just pollute at will, of course not. The cleaner we can be all the better, but within reason. All you have to do is follow the money behind all this global warming nonsense, it ain't hard to figure out... :D

Bingo!  I had a convo about this last year in one of our discussions and I honestly do believe that the Global Warming hype is a clever way for the Elites (world banksters) to collect a Global Tax from every single human being on this planet.  We have spent over 20 Billion USD in the past 2 decades on research regarding Global Warming and its has done absolutely "0" to better our planet.  Instead of all that money going to lobbyists, private companies, foundations, (Insiders) we should spend it on Climate Models or research that makes sense.

• Like 2

The goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by the year 2050. It's a very realistic goal and population control measures aren't needed. Substituting natural gas for coal, bio-fuels, more reliance on wind energy and forest management is among many of the actions we can take. I'm a large believer that we have to do everything we can to take care of the Earth. If hypothetically every single climate scientist is wrong (this is not the case of course) we would still be doing the environment some great good. It's a win-win imo... Now we just have to get our politicians and the American people to see the science. This is the last thing have to say about this. Lets all get back on topic now.

Why not reduce greenhouse emissions by 100%? If this stuff is so ghastly bad, shouldn't it all be banned? You see, once you start thinking this stuff through to a logical conclusion, its not so difficult to grasp. As I said before, one good old eruption from a volcano pollutes the atmosphere more than all human emissions ever produced and, mind you, in a lot shorter time frame. And yet, the fragile Earth still somehow manages to eggzist, like a super version of the energizer bunny. How many big volcanic eruptions you figgur there has been the past 4.5 billion years? Yah, I don't know either but it is a bunch. Its not a win-win either. Wind, solar and what not for instance, it ain't cheap. Ever hear of Solyndra? I am sure in time, technology will get to the point where wind and solar will be efficient and cost effective. Do you have any idear of the carbon footprint Al Gore produces in a year? And finally we come down to the science. Some say CO2 rise causes temperature rise, some point to levels of water vapour and yes my friends, even our smiley face sun. Its hardly conclusive but it really doesn't matter because we don't have an impact on it anyways. Temps are gonna rise and they are gonna fall. There will be another ice age, just as there has been in the past and there is not a daggum thing we can do about it. Climate change is a oxymoron, of course it changes silly... ;)

With no significant weather to talk about, why not a polite conversation about global warming, global cooling, I mean climate change. Which reminds me, I was around in the 1970's when all the hoot from the so called experts was global cooling and the man made ice age that was gonna wipe us out. Anyone else remember those days?

• Like 2

Bingo!  I had a convo about this last year in one of our discussions and I honestly do believe that the Global Warming hype is a clever way for the Elites (world banksters) to collect a Global Tax from every single human being on this planet.  We have spent over 20 Billion USD in the past 2 decades on research regarding Global Warming and its has done absolutely "0" to better our planet.  Instead of all that money going to lobbyists, private companies, foundations, (Insiders) we should spend it on Climate Models or research that makes sense.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

• Like 1

Why not reduce greenhouse emissions by 100%? If this stuff is so ghastly bad, shouldn't it all be banned? You see, once you start thinking this stuff through to a logical conclusion, its not so difficult to grasp. As I said before, one good old eruption from a volcano pollutes the atmosphere more than all human emissions ever produced and, mind you, in a lot shorter time frame. And yet, the fragile Earth still somehow manages to eggzist, like a super version of the energizer bunny. How many big volcanic eruptions you figgur there has been the past 4.5 billion years? Yah, I don't know either but it is a bunch. Its not a win-win either. Wind, solar and what not for instance, it ain't cheap. Ever hear of Solyndra? I am sure in time, technology will get to the point where wind and solar will be efficient and cost effective. Do you have any idear of the carbon footprint Al Gore produces in a year? And finally we come down to the science. Some say CO2 rise causes temperature rise, some point to levels of water vapour and yes my friends, even our smiley face sun. Its hardly conclusive but it really doesn't matter because we don't have an impact on it anyways. Temps are gonna rise and they are gonna fall. There will be another ice age, just as there has been in the past and there is not a daggum thing we can do about it. Climate change is a oxymoron, of course it changes silly... ;)

With no significant weather to talk about, why not a polite conversation about global warming, global cooling, I mean climate change. Which reminds me, I was around in the 1970's when all the hoot from the so called experts was global cooling and the man made ice age that was gonna wipe us out. Anyone else remember those days?

For one, CO2 being plant food argument is ridiculous. You understand that it's not like plants take up all of the CO2 that is released into the atmosphere right? The largest carbon sinks on Earth is our oceans. So it makes sense that ocean temperatures have been warming at such an unprecedented rate since the industrial age has started. Plants have limits to how much CO2 it can take in as well. Too much of anything is bad. Many plants already cannot handle the excess CO2 in the atmosphere and you can research that one yourself if you don't believe me. Also, I will explain to you the greenhouse effect and how it relates to the Laws of Thermodynamics since you either don't know it or you're ignoring it completely. Heat from the sun warms the Earth. The Earth loses its heat to space. Greenhouse gases slow down the rate of heat-loss from the surface of the Earth. This is like a blanket that helps us from losing heat from our body. Lastly, very few scientists predicted global cooling that you're speaking of in the 1970's. There was a thesis on it due to a slight cooling trend and magazines and the media got a hold of it and blew it out of proportion. There were very few scientists that even considered that idea while 97 percent are certain humans are the cause of the warming of the Earth now.

• Like 1

For one, CO2 being plant food argument is ridiculous. You understand that it's not like plants take up all of the CO2 that is released into the atmosphere right? You're aware that the largest carbon sinks on Earth is our oceans. So it makes sense that ocean temperatures have been warming at such an unprecedented rate since the industrial age has started. Plants have limits to how much CO2 it can take in as well. Too much of anything is bad. Many plants already cannot handle the excess CO2 in the atmosphere and you can research that one yourself if you don't believe me. Also, I will explain to you the greenhouse effect and how it relates to the Laws of Thermodynamics since you either don't know it or you're ignoring it completely. Heat from the sun warms the Earth. The Earth loses its heat to space. Greenhouse gases slow down the rate of heat-loss from the surface of the Earth. This is like a blanket that helps us from losing heat from our body. Last of all, very few scientists predicted global cooling that you're speaking of. There was a thesis on it due to a slight cooling trend and magazines and the media got a hold of it and blew it out of proportion. There were very few scientists that even considered that idea while 97 percent are certain humans are the cause of the warming of the Earth now.

97% eh? :o  Unprecedented since the industrial age? Do you realize that timeframe is 0.0000000333333333% of the earths age? How were ocean temps the other 99.9999999% of the time? Yes I am aware of the advantage it is to have an atmosphere. Lets say, for arguments sake, CO2 is the devil as you feel it is. How come we don't go into extinction when we have a major volcanic eruption? Shirley all that CO2 and other poisons has to amount to something? Below is a partial list of the so called media getting a hold of something and blowing it out of proportion (kinda like it is today with global warming?). Must be nice to be able to pick and choose what is being blown out of proportion! And finally, NASA did a study that shows CO2 cools the atmosphere. So much for 97%. ;)

http://www.principia-scientific.org/new-discovery-nasa-study-proves-carbon-dioxide-cools-atmosphere.html

1970 - Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age - Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)

1970 - Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)

1970 - New Ice Age May Descend On Man (Sumter Daily Item, January 26, 1970)

1970 - Pollution Prospect A Chilling One (The Argus-Press, January 26, 1970)

1970 - Pollution's 2-way 'Freeze' On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970)

1970 - Cold Facts About Pollution (The Southeast Missourian, January 29, 1970)

1970 - Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970)

1970 - Scientist predicts a new ice age by 21st century (The Boston Globe, April 16, 1970)

1970 - Pollution Called Ice Age Threat (St. Petersburg Times, June 26, 1970)

1970 - Dirt Will Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970)

1971 - Ice Age Refugee Dies Underground (Montreal Gazette, Febuary 17, 1971)

1971 - Pollution Might Lead To Another Ice Age (The Schenectady Gazette, March 22, 1971)

1971 - Pollution May Bring Ice Age - Scientist Rites Risk (The Windsor Star, March 23, 1971)

1971 - U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971)

1971 - Ice Age Around the Corner (Chicago Tribune, July 10, 1971)

1971 - New Ice Age Coming - It's Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971)

1971 - Another Ice Age? Pollution Blocking Sunlight (The Day, November 1, 1971)

1971 - Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971)

1972 - Air pollution may cause ice age (Free-Lance Star, February 3, 1972)

1972 - Scientist Says New ice Age Coming (The Ledger, February 13, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age Cometh For Dicey Times (The Sun, May 29, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age Coming (Deseret News, September 8, 1972)

1972 - There's a new Ice Age coming! (The Windsor Star, September 9, 1972)

1972 - Scientist predicts new ice age (Free-Lance Star, September 11, 1972)

1972 - British Expert on Climate Change Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972)

1972 - Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (The Portsmouth Times, ‎September 11, 1972‎)

1972 - New Ice Age Slipping Over North (The Press-Courier, September 11, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age Begins A New Assault In North (The Age, September 12, 1972)

1972 - Weather To Get Colder (Montreal Gazette, ‎September 12, 1972‎)

1972 - British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972)

1972 - Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972)

1972 - Science: Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, November 13, 1972)

1972 - Geologist at Case Traces Long Winters - Sees Ice Age in 20 Years (Youngstown Vindicator, December 13, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age On Its Way, Scientist Says (Toledo Blade, December 13, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age Predicted In About 200 Years (The Portsmouth Times, December 14, 1972)

1973 - The Ice Age Cometh (The Saturday Review, March 24, 1973)

1973 - 'Man-made Ice Age' Worries Scientists (The Free Lance-Star, June 22, 1973)

1973 - Fear Of Man-made Ice Age (The Spartanburg Herald, June 28, 1973)

1973 - Possibility Of Ice Age Worries The Scientists (The Argus-Press, November 12, 1973)

1973 - Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973)

1974 - Ominous Changes in the World's Weather (PDF) (Fortune Magazine, February 1974)

1974 - Atmospheric Dirt: Ice Age Coming?‎ (Pittsburgh Press, February 28, 1974)

1974 - New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974)

1974 - Another Ice Age? (Time Magazine, June 24, 1974)

1974 - 2 Scientists Think 'Little' Ice Age Near (Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974)

1974 - Ice Age, worse food crisis seen (Chicago Tribune, October 30, 1974)

1974 - Imminent Arrival of the Ice (Radio Times, November 14, 1974)

1974 - Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974)

1974 - Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, ‎December 4, 1974‎)

1974 - Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, ‎December 5, 1974‎)

1974 - More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel, ‎December 5, 1974‎)

1974 - Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, December 5, 1974)

1975 - Climate Changes Called Ominous (The New York Times, January 19, 1975)

1975 - Climate Change: Chilling Possibilities (Science News, March 1, 1975)

1975 - B-r-r-r-r: New Ice Age on way soon? (Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1975)

1975 - Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - Is Earth Headed For Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, March 2, 1975)

1975 - New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - There's Troublesome Weather Ahead (Tri City Herald, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, ‎March 3, 1975‎)

1975 - The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975)

1975 - The Cooling World (Newsweek, April 28, 1975)

1975 - Cooling trend may signal coming of another Ice Age (The Sun, May 16, 1975)

1975 - Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975)

1975 - Summer of A New Ice Age (The Age, June 5, 1975)

1975 - In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975)

1975 - Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, December 11, 1975)

1976 - The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976)

1976 - Ice Age Predicted (Reading Eagle, January 22, 1976)

1976 - Ice Age Predicted In Century (Bangor Daily News, January 22, 1976)

1976 - It's Going To Get Chilly About 125 Years From Now (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, January 23, 1976)

1976 - Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976)

1977 - Blizzard - What Happens if it Doesn't Stop? [book] (George Stone, 1977)

1977 - The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [book] (The Impact Team, 1977)

1977 - The Ice Age Cometh... (New York Magazine, January 31, 1977)

1977 - The Big Freeze (Time Magazine, January 31, 1977)

1977 - Has The Ice Age Cometh Again? (Calgary Herald, February 1, 1977)

1977 - Space Mirrors Proposed To Prevent Crop Freezes (Bangor Daily News, February 7, 1977)

1977 - We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977)

1978 - Ice! [book] (Arnold Federbush, 1978)

1978 - The New Ice Age [book] (Henry Gilfond, 1978)

1978 - Winter May Be Colder Than In Last Ice Age (Deseret News, January 2, 1978)

1978 - Current Winters Seen Colder Than In Ice Age‎ (The Telegraph, January 3, 1978)

1978 - Winter Temperatures Colder Than Last Ice Age (Eugene Register-Guard, Eugene Register-Guard, January 3, 1978)

1978 - Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978)

1978 - Winters Will Get Colder, 'we're Entering Little Ice Age' (Daily Record, January 10, 1978)

1978 - Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978)

1978 - It's Going To Get Colder (Boca Raton News, ‎January 17, 1978‎)

1978 - Another Ice Age? (Kentucky New Era, February 12, 1978)

1978 - Another Ice Age? (Reading Eagle, ‎February 13, 1978‎)

1978 - Believe new ice age is coming (The Bryan Times, March 31, 1978)

1978 - The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978)

1978 - An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978)

1979 - A Choice of Catastrophes - The Disasters That Threaten Our World [book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979)

1979 - The Sixth Winter [book] (John R. Gribbin, 1979)

1979 - The New Ice Age Cometh (The Age, January 16, 1979)

1979 - Ice Age Building Up (Daily Record, June 5, 1979)

1979 - Large Glacial Buildup Could Mean Ice Age (Daily Chronicle, June 5, 1979)

1979 - Ice Age On Its Way (Lewiston Morning Tribune, June 7, 1979)

1979 - Get Ready to Freeze (Daily Chronicle, October 12, 1979)

1979 - New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979)

• Like 1

97% eh? :o  Unprecedented since the industrial age? Do you realize that timeframe is 0.0000000333333333% of the earths age? How were ocean temps the other 99.9999999% of the time? Yes I am aware of the advantage it is to have an atmosphere. Lets say, for arguments sake, CO2 is the devil as you feel it is. How come we don't go into extinction when we have a major volcanic eruption? Shirley all that CO2 and other poisons has to amount to something? Below is a partial list of the so called media getting a hold of something and blowing it out of proportion (kinda like it is today with global warming?). Must be nice to be able to pick and choose what is being blown out of proportion! And finally, NASA did a study that shows CO2 cools the atmosphere. So much for 97%. ;)

http://www.principia-scientific.org/new-discovery-nasa-study-proves-carbon-dioxide-cools-atmosphere.html

1970 - Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age - Scientists See Ice Age In the Future (The Washington Post, January 11, 1970)

1970 - Is Mankind Manufacturing a New Ice Age for Itself? (L.A. Times, January 15, 1970)

1970 - Pollution's 2-way 'Freeze' On Society (Middlesboro Daily News, January 28, 1970)

1970 - Pollution Could Cause Ice Age, Agency Reports (St. Petersburg Times, March 4, 1970)

1970 - Scientist predicts a new ice age by 21st century (The Boston Globe, April 16, 1970)

1970 - Dirt Will Bring New Ice Age (The Sydney Morning Herald, October 19, 1970)

1971 - Pollution Might Lead To Another Ice Age (The Schenectady Gazette, March 22, 1971)

1971 - Pollution May Bring Ice Age - Scientist Rites Risk (The Windsor Star, March 23, 1971)

1971 - U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming (The Washington Post, July 9, 1971)

1971 - New Ice Age Coming - It's Already Getting Colder (L.A. Times, October 24, 1971)

1971 - Air Pollution Could Bring An Ice Age (Harlan Daily Enterprise, November 4, 1971)

1972 - British Expert on Climate Change Says New Ice Age Creeping Over Northern Hemisphere (Lewiston Evening Journal, September 11, 1972)

1972 - Climate Seen Cooling For Return Of Ice Age (The Portsmouth Times, ‎September 11, 1972‎)

1972 - British climate expert predicts new Ice Age (The Christian Science Monitor, September 23, 1972)

1972 - Scientist Sees Chilling Signs of New Ice Age (L.A. Times, September 24, 1972)

1972 - Geologist at Case Traces Long Winters - Sees Ice Age in 20 Years (Youngstown Vindicator, December 13, 1972)

1972 - Ice Age Predicted In About 200 Years (The Portsmouth Times, December 14, 1972)

1973 - 'Man-made Ice Age' Worries Scientists (The Free Lance-Star, June 22, 1973)

1973 - Possibility Of Ice Age Worries The Scientists (The Argus-Press, November 12, 1973)

1973 - Weather-watchers think another ice age may be on the way (The Christian Science Monitor, December 11, 1973)

1974 - Ominous Changes in the World's Weather (PDF) (Fortune Magazine, February 1974)

1974 - New evidence indicates ice age here (Eugene Register-Guard, May 29, 1974)

1974 - 2 Scientists Think 'Little' Ice Age Near (Hartford Courant, August 11, 1974)

1974 - Believes Pollution Could Bring On Ice Age (Ludington Daily News, December 4, 1974)

1974 - Pollution Could Spur Ice Age, Nasa Says (Beaver Country Times, ‎December 4, 1974‎)

1974 - Air Pollution May Trigger Ice Age, Scientists Feel (The Telegraph, ‎December 5, 1974‎)

1974 - More Air Pollution Could Trigger Ice Age Disaster (Daily Sentinel, ‎December 5, 1974‎)

1974 - Scientists Fear Smog Could Cause Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, December 5, 1974)

1975 - Cooling Trends Arouse Fear That New Ice Age Coming (Eugene Register-Guard, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - Is Another Ice Age Due? Arctic Ice Expands In Last Decade (Youngstown Vindicator, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - New Ice Age Dawning? Significant Shift In Climate Seen (Times Daily, ‎March 2, 1975‎)

1975 - Is Earth Doomed To Live Through Another Ice Age? (The Robesonian, ‎March 3, 1975‎)

1975 - The Ice Age cometh: the system that controls our climate (Chicago Tribune, April 13, 1975)

1975 - Cooling trend may signal coming of another Ice Age (The Sun, May 16, 1975)

1975 - Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead (PDF) (The New York Times, May 21, 1975)

1975 - In the Grip of a New Ice Age? (International Wildlife, July-August, 1975)

1975 - Oil Spill Could Cause New Ice Age (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, December 11, 1975)

1976 - The Cooling: Has the Next Ice Age Already Begun? [book] (Lowell Ponte, 1976)

1976 - It's Going To Get Chilly About 125 Years From Now (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, January 23, 1976)

1976 - Worrisome CIA Report; Even U.S. Farms May be Hit by Cooling Trend (U.S. News & World Report, May 31, 1976)

1977 - The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age [book] (The Impact Team, 1977)

1977 - Space Mirrors Proposed To Prevent Crop Freezes (Bangor Daily News, February 7, 1977)

1977 - We Will Freeze in the Dark (Capital Cities Communications Documentary, Host: Nancy Dickerson, April 12, 1977)

1978 - Winter May Be Colder Than In Last Ice Age (Deseret News, January 2, 1978)

1978 - Current Winters Seen Colder Than In Ice Age‎ (The Telegraph, January 3, 1978)

1978 - Winter Temperatures Colder Than Last Ice Age (Eugene Register-Guard, Eugene Register-Guard, January 3, 1978)

1978 - Little Ice Age: Severe winters and cool summers ahead (Calgary Herald, January 10, 1978)

1978 - Winters Will Get Colder, 'we're Entering Little Ice Age' (Daily Record, January 10, 1978)

1978 - Geologist Says Winters Getting Colder (Middlesboro Daily News, January 16, 1978)

1978 - The Coming Ice Age (In Search Of TV Show, Season 2, Episode 23, Host: Leonard Nimoy, May 1978)

1978 - An Ice Age Is Coming Weather Expert Fears (Milwaukee Sentinel, November 17, 1978)

1979 - A Choice of Catastrophes - The Disasters That Threaten Our World [book] (Isaac Asimov, 1979)

1979 - New ice age almost upon us? (The Christian Science Monitor, November 14, 1979)

Since you already mentioned this 3 times it's now time for me to address the fallacy you're spewing out about volcanic eruptions(nice pun eh?) The truth is that humans emit 100 times more CO2 than volcanoes do. Volcanoes very slowly release carbon dioxide through vents with between 65 to 319 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Humans emit 30 billion tonnes of CO2 per year worldwide. Here is a couple of nice explanations in more detail since I'm getting tired.http://www.skepticalscience.com/coming-out-of-ice-age-volcanoes.htm  http://www.skepticalscience.com/coming-out-of-ice-age-volcanoes.htm .  Also you proved my point exactly by posting all of those articles from newspapers. If you take a look at what is being said most of them are just anecdotes without any quotes from scientists at the time. Someone wrote a book on it and that is what the authors were using as their source.

Articles

Mar
New Discovery: NASA Study Proves Carbon Dioxide Cools Atmosphere

A recent NASA report throws the space agency into conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth's atmosphere. 

NASA's Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. The data was collected by Sounding of the Atmosphere using Broadband Emission Radiometry, (or SABER). SABER monitors infrared emissions from Earth’s upper atmosphere, in particular from carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO), two substances thought to be playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface.

NASA's Langley Research Center instruments show that the thermosphere not only received a whopping 26 billion kilowatt hours of energy from the sun during a recent burst of solar activity, but that in the upper atmospheric carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide molecules sent as much as 95% of that radiation straight back out into space.

The shock revelation starkly contradicts the core proposition of the so-called greenhouse gas theory which claims that more CO2 means more warming for our planet. However, this compelling new NASA data disproves that notion and is a huge embarrassment for NASA's chief climatologist, Dr James Hansen and his team over at NASA's GISS.

Already, the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has been in full retreat after having to concede a 17-year stall in global warming despite levels of atmopheric CO2 rising almost 40 percent in recent decades. The new SABER data now forms part of a real world double whammy against climatologists' computer models that have always been programmed to show CO2 as a warming gas.

The SABER evidence also makes a mockery of the statement on the NASA GISS website (by Hansen underling Gavin Schmidt)  claiming, "the greenhouse effect keeps the planet much warmer than it would be otherwise." [1]

As NASA's SABER team at Langley admits:

"This is a new frontier in the sun-Earth connection," says associate principal investigator  Martin Mlynczak, "and the data we’re collecting are unprecedented."

Over at Principia Scientific International (PSI) greenhouse gas effect (GHE) critic, Alan Siddons is hailing the findings. Siddons and his colleagues have been winning support from hundreds of independent scientists for their GHE studies carried out over the last seven years. PSI has proved that the numbers fed into computer models by Hansen and others were based on a faulty interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics. PSI also recently uncovered long overlooked evidence from the American Meteorological Society (AMS) that shows it was widely known the GHE was discredited prior to 1951. [2]

Pointedly, a much-trumpeted new book released this month by Rupert Darwall claims to help expose the back story of how the junk GHE theory was conveniently resuscitated in the 1980's by James Hansen and others to serve an environmental policy agenda at that time. [3]

As the SABER research report states:

A recent flurry of eruptions on the sun did more than spark pretty auroras around the poles.  NASA-funded researchers say the solar storms of March 8th through 10th dumped enough energy in Earth’s upper atmosphere to power every residence in New York City for two years.

This was the biggest dose of heat we’ve received from a solar storm since 2005,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA Langley Research Center.  “It was a big event, and shows how solar activity can directly affect our planet.”

As PSI's own space scientists have confirmed, as solar energy penetrates deeper into our atmosphere, even more of its energy will end up being sent straight back out to space, thus preventing it heating up the surface of our earth. The NASA Langley Research Center report agrees with PSI by admitting:

Carbon dioxide and nitric oxide are natural thermostats,” explains James Russell of Hampton University, SABER’s principal investigator.  “When the upper atmosphere (or ‘thermosphere’) heats up, these molecules try as hard as they can to shed that heat back into space.”

To those independent scientists and engineers at Principia Scientific International this is not news. The “natural thermostat” effect of CO2 has long been known by applied scientists and engineers how have exploited it's remarkable properties in the manufacturer of refrigerators and air conditioning systems. The fledgling independent science body has repeatedly shown in it's openly peer reviewed papers that atmospheric carbon dioxide does not cause global warming nor climate change.

Some diehard climate alarmists will still say that in the lower atmosphere the action of carbon dioxide is reversed, but there is no actual proof of this at all. PSI suggests it is time for the SABER team to have a word with James Hansen. Watch the full NASA video on Youtube.

Nice post with sources.

I used to believe in made made global warming up until about 10 years ago. Once I started investigation the science first hand, the facts didn't line up correctly. Our climate system is very complicated and we do not yet know completely how it works. Worldwide records just don't go back very far.

We've been studying the atmosphere across a mere small sliver of time compared to the age of the Earth like you stated. About the only warming from human's I can see is from the Urban heat island effect.

Here is a graph showing the fluctuation of COsince the Earth's atmosphere became oxygen dominated in the Cambrian era. The amount of biomass during the reign of the dinosaurs was many times over what it is today.

Sure humans pollute have been polluting the atmosphere since the mid 1800s; and that is a good reason to stop using fossil fuels. Yeah climate change is happening - it always has and always will - the Earth's system is unstable and tries to find a stable harmony that it will never settle into. Our axis tilt is a big reason why the Earth's climate is unstable. - Not hard to figure that one out. Couple other reasons is solar cycles and volcanic activity.

All in all though, humans have made a mess of the planet including the atmosphere and we should concentrate on some of the bigger environmental issues out there rather than worrying about tenth's of a degree temperature variances. 

From all indications when the Earth was warmer overall during the Medieval Time period, life flourished.

Getting a bit off topic I would say. If anyone wants to continue it, start a thread-

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Nice post with sources.

I used to believe in made made global warming up until about 10 years ago. Once I started investigation the science first hand, the facts didn't line up correctly. Our climate system is very complicated and we do not yet know completely how it works. We've been studying the atmosphere across a mere sliver of time compared to the age of the Earth like you stated. About the only warming from human's I can see is from the Urban heat island effect.

Here is a graph showing the fluctuation of COsince the Earth's atmosphere became oxygen dominated in the Cambrian era. The amount of biomass during the reign of the dinosaurs was many times over what it is today.

Sure humans pollute have been polluting the atmosphere since the mid 1800s; and that is a good reason to stop using fossil fuels. Yeah climate change is happening - it always has and always will - the Earth's system is unstable and tries to find a stable harmony that it will never settle into. Our axis tilt is a big reason why the Earth's climate is unstable. - Not hard to figure that one out. Couple other reasons is solar cycles and volcanic activity.

All in all though, humans have made a mess of the planet including the atmosphere and we should concentrate on some of the bigger environmental issues out there rather than worrying about tenth's of a degree temperature variances. 

From all indications when the Earth was warmer overall during the Medieval Time period, life flourished.

Good post. Fossil fuels are relatively cheap, dirtier than ideal but cheap. I am sure in the not to near future, they will become obsolete. However, until that time, we should use them, IMO...

Good post. Fossil fuels are relatively cheap, dirtier than ideal but cheap. I am sure in the not to near future, they will become obsolete. However, until that time, we should use them, IMO...

We've pretty much ran out of "easy" sources of fossil fuels. Now we're resorting to extracting oil from the oil sands of Alberta and drilling to new deep depths in the crust.

Geothermal has big potential in the future I think - and it doesn't necessarily have to be only areas close to natural heat (volcanic derived) sources either. Natural gas in the most plentiful of the cheap sources of energy right now, but eventually will run out of that as well.

If we can ever perfect fusion... will have it made! ... That or figure out how to harness energy from the solar wind.

Anyway~

Still looking at mid 30s at this hour. For the first time since New Years all the side roads are clear of ice and snow.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Since you already mentioned this 3 times it's now time for me to address the fallacy you're spewing out about volcanic eruptions(nice pun eh?) The truth is that humans emit 100 times more CO2 than volcanoes do. Volcanoes very slowly release carbon dioxide through vents with between 65 to 319 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Humans emit 30 billion tonnes of CO2 per year worldwide. Here is a couple of nice explanations in more detail since I'm getting tired.http://www.skepticalscience.com/coming-out-of-ice-age-volcanoes.htm http://www.skepticalscience.com/coming-out-of-ice-age-volcanoes.htm . Also you proved my point exactly by posting all of those articles from newspapers. If you take a look at what is being said most of them are just anecdotes without any quotes from scientists at the time. Someone wrote a book on it and that is what the authors were using as their source.

nice

I can't believe people actually believe the liberal talking point on global warming. Amazes me how stupid people can be

This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue like the media wants you to believe. 97% of climate scientists agree the Earth is warming is due to human actions.http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/ These scientists have their PhD's and have written numerous research papers on the topic. They know more than me, you and everybody else on here. It's not like this is 50/50, but 97 percent! You guys have the contrarian viewpoint and I'm in agreement with the scientific consensus. No, this isn't some sort of conspiracy or government scheme to scare the people or take their money. You guys think every scientist is either wrong or paid off to spread false science. Come on now... I'm taking AP Environmental Science at school right now and next semester we're spending a solid 6-8 weeks or so just talking about man-made climate change and how to stop it. Denying that humans aren't warming this Earth is like denying evolution or saying that the Earth is flat. Anthropogenic climate change is a scientific fact that is written in science books and taught like any other science is.

This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue like the media wants you to believe. 97% of climate scientists agree the Earth is warming is due to human actions.http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/ These scientists have their PhD's and have written numerous research papers on the topic. They know more than me, you and everybody else on here. It's not like this is 50/50, but 97 percent! You guys have the contrarian viewpoint and I'm in agreement with the scientific consensus. No, this isn't some sort of conspiracy or government scheme to scare the people or take their money. You guys think every scientist is either wrong or paid off to spread false science. Come on now... I'm taking AP Environmental Science at school right now and next semester we're spending a solid 6-8 weeks or so just talking about man-made climate change and how to stop it. Denying that humans aren't warming this Earth is like denying evolution or saying that the Earth is flat. Anthropogenic climate change is a scientific fact that is written in science books and taught like any other science is.

The founder of the weather channel has a good opinion on this:

“CNN has taken a very strong position on global warming, that it is a consensus,” he said. “Well, there is no consensus in science. Science isn’t a vote, science is about facts.”

“And if you get down to the hard, cold facts, there’s no question about it: Climate change is not happening, there is no significant, man-made global warming now, there hasn’t been any in the past, and there’s no reason to expect any in the future. There’s a whole lot of baloney.”

Coleman said climate change has become part of the Democratic Party platform, adding that he regretted that the issue has become “political instead of scientific.”

“But the science is on my side,” he declared.

Challenged on the assertion that “97 percent of climate scientists” are in agreement on the issue, Coleman charged that the figure was “manipulated.”

Since the government only funds scientists who put out results “supporting the global warming hypothesis,” he claimed, “they don’t have any choice.”

“If you’re going to get the money, you’ve got to support their position. Therefore 97 percent of the scientific reports published support global warming. Why? Because those are the ones the government pays for and that’s where the money is.”

• Like 2

The founder of the weather channel has a good opinion on this:

Dude come on... what he is saying is ridiculous and you know it. So you're telling me that all of the climate scientists in the world are spreading lies just because they're paid to do so? Nobody becomes a scientist for the money they do it for the love of it. I will be going to college next year to begin my path of becoming a Atmospheric Scientist. I hope to one day get my PhD and I understand the job market is tough and the pay isn't fantastic, but I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I don't think any scientist would be paid to tell lies and not have a guilty conscience. I'm sure if this was all some kind of giant conspiracy the facade would be broken already.

I thought I would start a separate thread about this topic since some have requested the discussion be moved out of the weather discussion.

Dude come on... what he is saDude come on... what he is saying is ridiculous and you know it. So you're telling me that all of the climate scientists in the world are spreading lies just because they're paid to do so? Nobody becomes a scientist for the money they do it for the love of it. I will be going to college next year to begin my path of becoming a Atmospheric Scientist. I hope to one day get my PhD and I understand the job market is tough and the pay isn't fantastic, but I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I don't think any scientist would be paid to tell lies and not have a guilty conscience. I'm sure if this was all some kind of giant conspiracy the facade would be broken already.

I would agree with you, if you were right. That 97% number is pure fallacy. Did you watch the video by John Coleman? Have you read about all the manipulated statistics and email leaks on global warming? A carbon TAX? Are you kidding me??? Follow the money. If Al Gore is so right, how come he won't debate the issue or take any questions? Here is a list of links about climategate, happy reading!

When Results Go Bad …

U-CRU

Telegraph’s Booker on the “climategate” scandal

“Climategate” surpasses “Global Warming” on Google

Mann to be investigated by Penn State University review

Understanding Climategate: Who’s Who – a video

The Curry letter: a word about “deniers”…

How “The Trick” was pulled off

The Australian ETS vote: a political litmus test for cap and trade

An open letter from Dr. Judith Curry on climate science

Zorita calls for barring Phil Jones, Michael Mann, and Stefan Rahmstorf from further IPCC participation

Climategate protester pwn3d CBC on live TV

UEA Climate Scientist: “possible that…I.P.C.C. has run its course”

IPCC reviewer: “don’t cover up the divergence”

McIntyre: The deleted data from the “Hide the Decline” trick

Climategate: Stuart Varney “lives with Ed”

Climategate: Pielke Senior on the NCDC CCSP report – “strong arm tactics”

Warwick Hughes shows how Jones selections put bias in Australian Temperatures

Climategate: CATO’s Pat Michaels and Center for American Progress Dan Weiss on Fox News

Quote of the week #23 – calls for resignation in Climategate

Uh, oh – raw data in New Zealand tells a different story than the “official” one.

Climategate: “Men behaving badly” – a short summary for laymen

Statement on CRU hacking from the American Meteorological Society

Climategate: hide the decline – codified

Must see video – Climategate spoof from Minnesotans for Global Warming

The people -vs- the CRU: Freedom of information, my okole…

Government petition started in UK regarding CRU Climategate

CEI Files Notice of Intent to Sue NASA GISS

The appearance of hypocrisy at the NYT – Note to Andy

Nov 24 Statement from UEA on the CRU files

Nov 23 Statement from UEA on the CRU files

Monbiot issues an unprecedented apology – calls for Jones resignation

The CRUtape Letters™, an Alternative Explanation.

CRU Emails “may” be open to interpretation, but commented code by the programmer tells the real story

Video: Dr. Tim Ball on the CRU emails

Pielke Senior: Comment On The Post “Enemies Caught In Action!” On The Blackboard

Bishop Hill’s compendium of CRU email issues

Spencer on elitism in the IPCC climate machine

CRU Emails – search engine now online

Release of CRU files forges a new hockey stick reconstruction

Mike’s Nature Trick

and the post that started it all…

Breaking News Story: CRU has apparently been hacked – hundreds of files released

Discuss climate change at your leisure in here.

With having a geology background I have to look at what occurred way back in the past to draw a conclusion about what's going on. We've definitely had some warm years in recent history, but is that necessarily bad or good? No doubt polluting our atmosphere is bad, but is a couple extra degrees warmer necessarily bad... There will be some negative impacts as the climate changes, but that's been occurring since the Earth has been around. Looking at temperatures only, I think humans can adapt.

Now whether we can learn from our past mistakes and continue to clean up the environmental messes that we've made over the past 150 years or so, remains yet to be seen.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

A little narrative on a slow weather Sunday. Global warming or what ever you wish to call it probably the biggest pet peeve I have. I used to drink the koolaide back years ago when I was in College. But back then, it was the pending ice age we were all going to create because of pollution. When the so called professionals changed their minds and decided we were gonna cause global warming instead, I began to ask questions. Our atmosphere, weather and climate is a very complex system and we do not understand it to any degree of certainty. Our planet has a long, long history. Over 4 billion years, that's a pretty long time and a lot has happened. We have a natural cycle of warming and cooling, that is a fact. We have had vastly higher levels of CO2 in our atmosphere and believe it or not, the fragile earth did not implode. There is no such thing as static in science, it always changes. Was 2014 the warmest on record since 1880? Who cares? In the past say 500 million years its been a whole lot hotter. Folks, even if we tried, we cannot significantly affect the weather. Its nothing more than a political and more importantly, financial agenda. Its not a win-win for to be pro global warming. WE loose by higher energy costs and people like Al Gore rake in the money, YOUR money. Should we all be good stewards of the environment? Of course, nobody likes pollution, but as an industrial society, it is a necessary evil. If you want to drive a Prius and put solar panels on your house, on your own nickle, have at it. Just remember who is profiting from your decision...

Does anybody have any thoughts about how 2014 was the warmest year on record and it wasn't even an El Nino year? Can one of you explain to me how that is possible without a strong El nino present and without attributing it to anthropogenic climate change?

Also everybody always wants to talk surface temps. 90 percent of the heat buildup from global warming goes into our oceans. This occurs due to oceans immense size and heat storing capacity. Anybody want to supply me with some data and an explanation of a period of time in which oceans were warmer and getting warmer at a faster rate than it is now?

Nuccitelli_OHC_Data_med.jpg