Earliest Winter Peak in the World?

Many of us have long since climbed over the average coldest point of winter, but some of you are still getting colder into February. My question is, which parts of the world peak the earliest? 

I don't know how to find daily averages for most of the world, but for Canada you can simply search and download data here. The earliest I've found is Kleena Kleene, BC which peaks on Christmas Day. The next nearest weather station, Lunch Lake, also peaks then. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It used to be a month later than it is now for the West. Someday I think we will go the other way again. Amazingly December used to be the third coldest month in Seattle behind January and February.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Interesting topic. I'am no mountain climber-- (though I have been to the top of  S. Sister near Bend,OR) but a fellow MN just become the only solo climber to summit Denali in the month of Jan-- on his 4th try. Incredible feat when you think about it. I was following the weather hard core this year for his trip and he had above freezing temps close to 800mb and only negative teens with little wind at summit elevation Payment earned compared to the brutal crap he went through other years huddled in snow cave for as long as 10 days...http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/01/19/lonnie-dupre-returns-safely-from-historic-denali-climb/

and GMA piece-http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/man-climbs-highest-peak-north-america-frigid-weather-28293177

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It used to be a month later than it is now for the West. Someday I think we will go the other way again. Amazingly December used to be the third coldest month in Seattle behind January and February.

Well I'll be damned. I knew from research that January was always the coldest month of the year in our part of the world (until the 1981-2010 period), but never thought to compare December to February. Sure enough, the 30 year period ending in 1960 did indeed place December in third spot. (I'm using Vancouver, BC as a reference since I have data for there). 

VancouverWinterMonths.png

P.S. It's not December that has changed, rather it's that January and February have become a lot warmer.