Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

I still have faith that the pattern in February will be better. These long ridging episodes rarely persist longer than 3-4 weeks. Obviously, the overall pattern this winter has been west coast Ridgy, but it's been broken up by a couple of colder/troughier periods...one in November, and one in late Dec/early Jan. I'll be surprised if we don't see a cooler pattern setting in by early Feb.

A forum for the end of the world.

I still have faith that the pattern in February will be better. These long ridging episodes rarely persist longer than 3-4 weeks. Obviously, the overall pattern this winter has been west coast Ridgy, but it's been broken up by a couple of colder/troughier periods...one in November, and one in late Dec/early Jan. I'll be surprised if we don't see a cooler pattern setting in by early Feb.

This ridgy pattern has been much more dominant than normal over the last three winters. I hope that you are right that the pattern in February is better, and we are due for a much more active pattern after the long January dry spell over much of the region.

I think we're going to need a shake up in the tropics to kick start a change in this ridge.

My view is that whatever ridging will be stifled with a better focusing and consolidation of more primary cold west of the Rockies North, through Alaska and further west. 

These wintertime ridges aren't a product of subsidence more. But more a/ the void left where cold doesn't move. 

---

.. "AR", sorry. ?

This with otherwise, with my mention of subsidence, my having been pointing to, what is more typically, as one at least, main element of ridge development. 

.. As I've suggested to some degree above, I tend to discount the whole "pressure block" idea, tending more to considering colder air's involvement, i.e. if again, where it's caused to move when. And then more in line specifically with what I've said above, this idea - of mine, tending to show itself more in the main colder-season months of the year. 

And if more in summer, with basic subsidence appreciated as working to build pressure, [and] so lending to [the idea of] "blocking", even still here, if appreciated better, colder air movement being what ultimately either whether, "breaks down", or otherwise works to "shear up" whatever ridging. 

Add to this, and if with my not being that "up on" .. "tropical forcing" (so called.), my own perception more general where pondering the idea (if more only.) being that a more general pressure addition is (might be, wherever.), working to enhance whatever is present main and/ or more general ridge-wise, more than might be due to whatever subsidence. Whenever.

---

"AR" = atmospheric river. When they hit the Pacific Northwest, we call them "pineapple express"

.. Oh yeh. Now I'm remembering.

{.. I hate acronyms. ? .. Also the term "pineapple express", where and when used to describe certainly many of the more "express" routings of more dense moisture, lined up and pointed more toward the (I'll play these, here.) "Pacific Northwest", quite often not having originated any where near to Hawaii, but further north. Many times, much further. "The Pineapple Express" the "A-Train" where considering the idea, had been, in my view, that connected to the 1996-7 El Nino; running "straight" from Hawaii .. to Sacramento, where I'd been at the time.} 

I'll have to check the reference above as you've used it, and relative to what more specifically. 

---

Nice read

It's a whole different world out here this winter. Its been kind of chilly at times, big story is the lack of snow though with only 8" still at my place on the winter. Coldest reading was 4F in December.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It's a whole different world out here this winter. Its been kind of chilly at times, big story is the lack of snow though with only 8" still at my place on the winter. Coldest reading was 4F in December.

The big story for the majority of the West is the same as it has been for your area: a general lack of mountain snowfall extending from BC southward to Socal.

Referring back to your "tropical shake up" / "AR", idea above Chris, .. @

Per my look at "Atmospheric River" [channeling] events / occurrence in the past, I've notedrelative to my own main study, colder air mass movement and distribution, morethat these setups generally occur where and when main colder air from the north is moving more broadbased south, down through the more Northern Central Pacific, and less meridionally.. due part and part, to both, its more over-all lesser force of movement at the time, together with, its either whether just having transitioned out of, or either, being a bit more along into, having been moving more zonally east.   @

---

It's been below average in the mountains, but not terrible. Here along the Front Range, about the same. I'm at about 19" on the season, about 65% of normal for this point.

So, it seems that everyone has been below normal in the snowfall department this year, but your area and the Rockies have fared better than the Sierras have to this point, though.

-

My perspective, ... A more decent Nino would have generated plenty of main moisturemore obviously. But with its having "dwindled", along with the idea, otherwise and additionally, of there also not having been much cold at all more primary more upstreamto have offset whatever main moisture, … 

.. No "snow" (much less.), no rain. (Also, much less.)

Why.  / Why the pattern, why the ridging. ? .. The main reason, factors then, the position/s of the more main strong-holds this year, of main more primary cold through the higher latitudes, this set against more on the warm side, with the more initially strong Nino's having dwindledand if from here going to perhaps, Why did it. ?

.. And then, why had (or has.) cold more primary set up the way it has this winter. ?

---

Inverted here but mountains look to be really warm tomorrow with temperatures aloft reaching record values for this time of year.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

.. More generic Derrick, but more across the board, I'm looking at new and fresh cold from the north beginning on the 31st. 

More broad-based, and moving toward more zonal. 

So does this mean to say a broad trough will impact the area before the pattern goes more zonal after that? At least at present models aren't looking to change anything up so I hope you are right.

Kind of what I'd meant to suggest, if by and with the "more generic" idea, my more general projection here being more in line with the idea that one may. Depending on what's more upstream consolidated and in place more northward more main cold wise at the time. 

Alaska's colder conditions over the recent past few days being a good sign generally, for something more significant at all to move south between the Far West and more where you are.

.. And more "broad-based", with whatever cold starting south doing so with a gradually more stepped up movement eastward, and so "more zonally", more clearly stated. 

• Like 3
---

Kind of what I'd meant to suggest, if by and with the "more generic" idea, my more general projection here being more in line with the idea that one may. Depending on what's more upstream consolidated and in place more northward more main cold wise at the time. 

Alaska's colder conditions over the recent past few days being a good sign generally, for something more significant at all to move south between the Far West and more where you are.

.. And more "broad-based", with whatever cold starting south doing so with a gradually more stepped up movement eastward, and so "more zonally", more clearly stated. 

Ok got it, thanks. I sure hope you are right!

From the model side of things we still don't have much to cheer for. The pattern is very much awash with weak passing systems and neither strong ridging nor troughing for a few days before ridging returns next week.

.. If I may here Derrick (With / or otherwise looked at, together with, all that I've said or pointed to above here previously more recently.), ...

One main variable that I'm looking at, relative to what I'm hearing (and if seeing to some extent.) more only at this point more main "models" output wise—as I don't consult them, .. is the idea, as I view it (qualifying here.), that the force of movement of colder air looked at more generally, more across the board—more fully east to west more hemispheric scope, is decreasing. 

Making it more difficult for "the models" to interpolate future movement of cold. (My view.)

---

.. If I may here Derrick (With / or otherwise looked at, together with, all that I've said or pointed to above here previously more recently.), ...

One main variable that I'm looking at, relative to what I'm hearing (and if seeing to some extent.) more only at this point more main "models" output wise—as I don't consult them, .. is the idea, as I view it (qualifying here.), that the force of movement of colder air looked at more generally, more across the board—more fully east to west more hemispheric scope, is decreasing. 

Making it more difficult for "the models" to interpolate future movement of cold. (My view.)

It's a good point. Seems like atmospheric signals would be masked a little more without any obvious driving forces right now.

-

.. In fact a third element of what I note where working to follow colder air's broader both movement and distribution, i.e. more than its main more latitudinal and longitudinal propensities where considering these ideas, .. I've found that where and when cold's more over-all force of movement is / appears to be .. decreasing, and having been for a while (A week or so. / Fuller duration more general from 10 days to two weeks.), [that] the main "area" of different main areas, of colder air mass looked at more horizontally, tends to increase notably and significantly. A factor in what I'd suggested above back on the 25th where having pointed to a potentially more "broad-based" character perhaps where looking at cold's spread more southward in places"beginning" tomorrow.

---

-

.. So what are you calling this Jared. ?

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/satsfc21.gif

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-105.27.....

How do people refer to this type of advent more generally, there in and around where you are. ?

.. Things more systemic, moving more up from the south farther. (?)

---

A couple of systems moving by tomorrow night through Wednesday morning. No snow but some rain does appear likely in the valleys.

High of 65 in SLC today broke the record for the earliest its ever been that warm, tomorrow looks to be even warmer.

68F today, another record high. Earliest 68F on record. The earliest 69F (which is the monthly record) isn't until a full 22 days later on the 28th. Completely in a league of its own to see this kind of warmth so soon.

68F today, another record high. Earliest 68F on record. The earliest 69F (which is the monthly record) isn't until a full 22 days later on the 28th. Completely in a league of its own to see this kind of warmth so soon.

There has been something really out of whack with the weather patterns across the West for the last 2 or 3 years and this warmth is part of it. At least significant rain is finally falling in places that desperately need it.

How far back does their period of record go?

How far back does their period of record go?

I think its about 1930 for the airport location. But before that there was another station somewhere nearby that goes back to about 1880.

Already 65 so another record high in the books.

This morning the low was a mind-blowing 58F, remember the average high is 40F! Even though I don't think that will hold through midnight if it does it would destroy the previous record of 43F and the monthly record of 51F.

• Like 1