March 2022 Observations and Discussions

Hawkeye

Cedar Rapids has risen above 60º for the first time this year.  Nebraskans have been basking in 60s and 70s for a month, but 60º is a nice milestone for colder northeast Iowa.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

24 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Normally by this time of year, you start to see some green show up in yards.  This year it is just a depressing brown and yellow everywhere.  People have started to water trees and yards with hoses and sprinklers as they don't want to turn on underground water systems yet.  I have watered my trees, and when I come back, there is no standing water, all of it soaked in.  I let the hose run on my yard the other day for an hour and came back to having all of the water sink into the ground.  Never can remember it being this dry at the start of March.  It is going to go from serious to worse around this area without appreciable moisture before planting begins next month.

I was looking at my bulbs coming up already and they look a little “weak”. I’m going to give them some water a bit later

• Like 2

So far this month, I'm averaging 32.8/76.9 for temps. Too bad that won't hold up.😆

It's already back down to 41 degrees, so it's dropped nearly 40 degrees in 6 hours with a cold north wind now blowing again.

Tomorrow it's only supposed to reach 50...which is still above average for the day.

3 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

If I had all the snow the long range GFS showed all winter, we’d have glaciers around here. 😂

I’d have at least 300” but sitting at 62.  So yeah.  Models over 5 days out are still garbage at predicting snow.   

• Like 2

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 41. With clear skies the official overnight low was 17 here at my house I had a high yesterday of 42 and the overnight low was a kind of cold 14. At this time it is clear and 18 here. As is common this time of year there looks to be a few ups and downs in the weather the next week or more. Temperatures in the upper 50's to low 60's one day and in the low to mid 30's or even colder are common for the rest of March and big swings  can still happen well into April. The only snow left here is in the woods and the snow piles in other areas.

10 minutes ago, westMJim said:

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 41. With clear skies the official overnight low was 17 here at my house I had a high yesterday of 42 and the overnight low was a kind of cold 14. At this time it is clear and 18 here. As is common this time of year there looks to be a few ups and downs in the weather the next week or more. Temperatures in the upper 50's to low 60's one day and in the low to mid 30's or even colder are common for the rest of March and big swings  can still happen well into April. The only snow left here is in the woods and the snow piles in other areas.

Curious.  What's our record snowfall for March in GR?  I have a feeling we are going to see some decent snowfall events the next 2 weeks.  At least the possibility of it anyway.  Already talking 3-6 Monday.   

26 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

Curious.  What's our record snowfall for March in GR?  I have a feeling we are going to see some decent snowfall events the next 2 weeks.  At least the possibility of it anyway.  Already talking 3-6 Monday.   

The monthly record for any March at Grand Rapids is 36.0" in 1965. There was 25.9" in 1971, 25.3" in 1932 and 22.6" in 2002. The biggest snow storms are 15.6" on March 2 and 3rd 2002 with 13.6" falling on the 2nd and then 2.0" on the 3rd. On March 14th 1904 10.5" fell with another 1.0" on the 15th and then 6" on the 17th On March 25th 1970 3" before midnight and then 10.2" fell after midnight for a storm total of 13.2".

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, westMJim said:

The monthly record for any March at Grand Rapids is 36.0" in 1965. There was 25.9" in 1971, 25.3" in 1932 and 22.6" in 2002. The biggest snow storms are 15.6" on March 2 and 3rd 2002 with 13.6" falling on the 2nd and then 2.0" on the 3rd. On March 14th 1904 10.5" fell with another 1.0" on the 15th and then 6" on the 17th On March 25th 1970 3" before midnight and then 10.2" fell after midnight for a storm total of 13.2".

Interesting, more than I thought.  Thanks. 

Models are currently suggesting a big blast of arctic air will dive into the central/eastern US next weekend.  The GFS looks identical to the Euro.

image.thumb.png.7ce05dd8252bca434f0eb685e1a45fb6.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Both EPS/GEFS are sorta beginning to line up for an interesting system next weekend as a powerful Arctic Front rages south across the heartland while a SLP tries to develop along it and tracks somewhere up through the Lower Lakes/OHV.  This one has the potential to go Big but as we have seen this year a lot has to happen in order for that outcome to transpire.  Teleconnections do support a good chance for a solid Spring storm but nature will have the final say.

Meantime, Winter will not let go for a lot of those across the northern 1/2 of the Sub...this map looks like a JAN 20th map rather than a MAR 20th....

image.png

Oh, and by the way, if the GFS/GEFS/GEPS are onto something, PV Split Round 2 late month???

gem-ens_Tz10_nhem_27.png

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_31.png

Oh boy, this would be a dagger to Spring up north, the exception would be around the central Plains and S MW/SE where I believe the ridge will be trying to migrate N as we head into late MAR and APR.

1.gif

Ha, 10-12" snow mean for IA thru the GL's....

image.png

• Snow 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Both EPS/GEFS are sorta beginning to line up for an interesting system next weekend as a powerful Arctic Front rages south across the heartland while a SLP tries to develop along it and tracks somewhere up through the Lower Lakes/OHV.  This one has the potential to go Big but as we have seen this year a lot has to happen in order for that outcome to transpire.  Teleconnections do support a good chance for a solid Spring storm but nature will have the final say.

Meantime, Winter will not let go for a lot of those across the northern 1/2 of the Sub...this map looks like a JAN 20th map then a MAR 20th....

image.png

Oh, and by the way, if the GFS/GEFS/GEPS are onto something, PV Split Round 2 late month???

gem-ens_Tz10_nhem_27.png

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_31.png

Oh boy, this would be a dagger to Spring up north, the exception would be around the central Plains and S MW/SE where I believe the ridge will be trying to migrate N as we head into late MAR and APR.

1.gif

Ha, 10-12" snow mean for IA thru the GL's....

image.png

A massive share the wealth storm in the middle of March?  Looks like I will have highs struggling to get to 20 a week from now.  These might be the most impressive 96hr maps at  this range I've seen all season.

1647194400-EiPPt9OTO0E.png

1647194400-mjAHJvF6cgs.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 3

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 33. The official overnight low at GRR was 15 the overnight low here at my house was 14. At this time with clear skies it is 22. We took a road trip up to Bay City yesterday. With full sun it was a very nice day. There is still snow in the woods and in places in the open fields where there was drifting along the side of the roads. Here at my house the snow piles are still here and there is still some snow in the woods.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

The GFS has alternating shots of snowfall and immediate warm ups. That would be perfect. Still with the chances of snow/big storms, but then no brutal cold thereafter as most are ready for spring.

12z Euro and Canadian look very similar for next Thursday possible storm. Problem, it is still 6 days away and we know how models have changed for the worse around here this winter. 

• Like 2

GFS and EPS means look non-terrible for late next week, not suprisingly all over the place being almost a week out. OP runs aren't as enthusiastic. Either it's going to finally snow or we'll watch it fade away like everything else this winter. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

14 hours ago, Madtown said:

Got out with the whole family. 33 degrees and 16mi on some great trails. Really depressed its going downhill so fast tomorrow.

I know how you feel, people make fun of me for snowboarding so much at the end of the season and driving all over Wisconsin so I can keep going, but that's the only way to deal with losing winter sports for the season. I always go as much as possible, snowmobiling or snowboarding, just so when I put everything away I have no regrets.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Longtime poster on the PNW subforums here. Currently in Buffalo, WY as we make our way to our new home in Sioux Falls, SD (arriving on Monday). Can't wait to experience actual winter weather and especially the thunderstorms in spring/summer. Looks like I won't have to wait too long for the first shot at snow in our new place with the 18z GFS "druncle" showing 24-hour totals of 17.5 inches in SF by Thursday afternoon.

Really excited to learn this whole new climate!

Welcome, the climate is a lot different than Seattle area.  You get 4 seasons here in the midwest. Usually. ..  Sometimes all in one week.  No mountains to modify the cold.  We moved from the Bellingham area to Detroit metro area.  I went from an average of 12 inches of snow a year to tripple that.  Invest in a snow blower. Especially up there.  Sometimes it can snow into April here.   Today its supposed to be inn the mid 50s, followed by thunderstorms, then rain/snow to snow.  In less than a day.  Pretty dynamic weather here.  

• Like 1

The GFS and GDPS (Canadian) are dropping big snow from Nebraska to northern Iowa late next week.  The UK is farther south, hitting se NE into KS and then east into northern MO and southern IA in weakening mode.  The Euro has become less bullish in recent runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Thanks! Helpful to learn about the climate from like-minded folks, such as on here, as there are far less resources/people to pull knowledge from when compared to the PNW. We plan on getting a snow blower in time for next winter but good tip!

I always see one of the main complaints of Sioux Falls is the unpredictable, dynamic weather with extremes on either sides. It's usually listed as a con. Luckily for my family and I that is a huge plus! Probably one of the things I'm most excited about.

I was born in Sioux Falls, lived in South Dakota the first 27 years of my life, and still have family in South Dakota.

Sioux Falls is a great place to live in!

You’ll definitely enjoy the weather 😁

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

Today marks the first day it actually feels and smells like spring…would love to see the clouds clear up a little more to get some of that early March sunshine.  Oh, I took down my Christmas Tree and remaining outdoor decor.  I always like to postpone it as long as possible.  This morning was a great day for it!  

• Like 4

The Euro is still on the north end of the model range late in the week, as well as a bit weaker.  All models have the system, and they are fairly similar considering it's five days out.

image.thumb.png.723205be2a37c840f14b26745059de0b.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

The first robins of the year just showed up in my yard!

Been a cardinal singing spring tunes several mornings when I stepped out for work this week. I've heard a robin, just didn't see it. Turkey vultures are back, and lots of migrating hawks have been seen too. Real spring can't be far behind.

• Like 4

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

With the amount of severe weather that just rolled through this area- I'd say the cold weather forecast to come to means serious business. March's here lately have been ho-hum. This upcoming cold snap (with an early signal of a fight) means winter aint letting down. Have not seen a model show this in mid-March in years-- (not saying it's right)-- just the classic up /downs of March for once--

snku_024h.us_mw.png

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Texas is experiencing effects of the drought and an influx of warm very dry air.  
Highs in the upper 70’s this weekend before a cool front rolls in with rain and temps in the mid 50’s Monday. Famine or Feast?  
Looks like we’re into Spring.

1D94CA64-C968-4796-A5BB-B66FA639A83F.webp

FFE114A1-C80B-466E-8BB2-9CC94E066CA8.webp

70D48902-897B-4472-99FC-F3C2504BB1D5.webp

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*