March 2022 Observations and Discussions

Hawkeye

^^ latest GFS per the previous poster- ** and actually still snowing after this ** also remember the GFS was the only model to get this current system modeled somewhat correctly. About at this range too.

snku_024h.us_mw.png

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I knew we would torch yesterday when temps were already surging into the low 60's by Noon and that we did as ORD hit a high temp of 73F.  Back to Back 70's in mid March are rare and have only happened 9 times since 1871.  The most recent was the unusual March of 2012.  St. Patty's Day was certainly a delightful one and I definitely enjoyed it.

The focus now are storms and rumors of storms.  The "Ides of March" continue to showcase the epitome of this months extremes.  I took a look at the past radar loop and there was quite a line of storms that barreled through OK last night.  This is turning out to be a potent mid-lat cyclone and will turn into a formidable system once it gets into our region producing widespread soaking rains where areas need it most.  

1.png

The attention then turns towards the "Spring Solstice Storm" and with nature producing ample blocking over the top, this Bowling Ball Beast appears like it will be a multi-day, multi-faceted storm system.  I'll probably whip up a storm thread for this one today or tomorrow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I knew we would torch yesterday when temps were already surging into the low 60's by Noon and that we did as ORD hit a high temp of 73F.  Back to Back 70's in mid March are rare and have only happened 9 times since 1871.  The most recent was the unusual March of 2012.  St. Patty's Day was certainly a delightful one and I definitely enjoyed it.

The focus now are storms and rumors of storms.  The "Ides of March" continue to showcase the epitome of this months extremes.  I took a look at the past radar loop and there was quite a line of storms that barreled through OK last night.  This is turning out to be a potent mid-lat cyclone and will turn into a formidable system once it gets into our region producing widespread soaking rains where areas need it most.  

1.png

The attention then turns towards the "Spring Solstice Storm" and with nature producing ample blocking over the top, this Bowling Ball Beast appears like it will be a multi-day, multi-faceted storm system.  I'll probably whip up a storm thread for this one today or tomorrow.

NWS Hastings disco very excited about this large precipitation producing storm.  They also mention potential accumulating snow on the back side.  These are typically the type of storms that hit Central and Western Nebraska with a heavy, wet snow after rain.  Hopefully this scenario plays out.  My son has a high school track meet on Tuesday.  This particular Triangular has been rained out, snowed out, colded out, 15 or 16 times in the last 20 years.  If you are in a drought, I guess it is good to have this meet on the calendar.😂  

• Like 3

Yesterdays official high of 67 at Grand Rapids was the 6th warmest on record at GR. On March 17th the record is 78 set in 2012 it was 73 in 1966, 71 in 2009, 70 in 1945, 68 in 2011, 2003 and 1894. That means 5 of the warmest March 17ths were in the last 20 years. It was a mild overnight low and the official overnight low at GRR was 42 here at my house it was 44. At the current time it is cloudy and 44 here.

• Like 1

2.5” of snow has been reported about 15 miles south of me in Firth, NE. I don’t believe even a flake fell here, but over an inch of rain fell overnight. 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

It looks like the heat is over performing, my snow for Cascade is turning into rain. There is supposed to be a big Luau party there tomorrow with a treasure hunt on the whole mountain, raffle, give away, cook out, live music, etc. I hope they can stay open for it, it's the last day of the year to really go.

Picture says a thousand words here.  
The usual Spring Texas Clash is with us.  We’ve all seen this a thousand times.  Our only real concern is hail at 5 pm going home traffic.  Most of us try to get gone and get home to the garage or carport .  
Highs in the upper 60’s just enough heating.  Hurrah!  It’s Spring. 😳

80E7BA13-7254-48EE-82E8-F9B6C6A92D5D.png

0DBB0C22-E809-4349-A2BA-7390A1B745F2.png

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

41 minutes ago, jcwxguy said:

2-3" so far Nebraska city,. About 4" lake waconda Nebraska

I was honestly kinda tempted to drive a bit south or east this morning but whatever I'm sure Lincoln has to get 3" at some point next winter 😂

• lol 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

37 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

I was honestly kinda tempted to drive a bit south or east this morning but whatever I'm sure Lincoln has to get 3" at some point next winter 😂

For my job, I travel to Nebraska city, lake waconda, Peru, cook, auburn, nemaha, Brownsville, Hamburg, ia, Sidney ia, and probably a town or two I'm forgetting about. I wouldn't drive just to see snow. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Currently downpouring and 37°. Awful weather.

Awful, but very welcome.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

All the models are showing another widespread 1+" precip event for Iowa next week, maybe even 2" in a few spots.  It'll be a slow-moving system and a couple crappy days, but the rain is good.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The Drought Feedback loop is starting to show itself in the southern Plains. 😒

The only way that can be defeated is if the current pattern breaks into storms blowing up in the Southern Plains.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

21 minutes ago, indianajohn said:

Seen this video and you guys are the only people I could think of that would appreciate this… LMAO!

FullSizeRender.MOV

Video refused to load. (On my screen)

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

54 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Video refused to load. (On my screen)

Me too, forum took me to a file not found page. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Worked for me. Impressive. 
Like a dam collapsed. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

My rain total is 1.00".

I noticed all day long you were in the perfect spot where the defo band was pivoting.  As was mentioned, this was a welcomed soaker for a lot of us around the region.

• Like 1

Forgot to add the February stats from MBY.

Avg low: 14.3   -5.0 below average   Coldest: -3.5(23rd)

Avg high: 41.9   3.3 above average   Warmest: 69.6(28th)

Precip: 0.27"   -0.68" below average

Snowfall: 0.5"   -7.3" below average

For the second straight month, the average low was below average, but the average high was above average. Pretty odd to see such extremes, but I would venture to blame the dry ground/weather. I recorded 5 days with at least a 40 degree difference between the low and high of the day, when previously it had only happened 55x in 152 YEARS!

DJF ended up 4.5 degrees above normal and only 9" of snowfall IMBY.

• Like 2

A friend in Virginia sent me this awesome photo from Friday morning. He raises angus cattle and seems to have an idyllic and peaceful life despite the hard work. 

With all the chaos in the news it's nice to pause and remember life is beautiful  

IMG_4637.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

I noticed Louisville KY was in a Tornado Warning last night.

Around 4:45-5:00am here a tiny but strong shower came thru here. Unfortunately no lightning.

• Rain 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The Texas drought is already in full swing and rancher and farmers are feeling it’s bite.  

This is the result of the Eastland wildfire about 100 miles west of Ft Worth.  We’d best prepare for more and the price will be high in many ways. After these fires ranchers have to drive their land and put down cattle still alive.  Pray for Rain. 

D9F64827-46F0-40D6-B6D2-BD0ED1057722.jpeg

• Sad 5

Today, we welcome the Spring Equinox this morning and the return of our Star, the Sun, will make a welcome appearance.  It has been a chilly, dreary, wet and windy past few days so the sunshine will be amazing and lighten up the mood.  Gosh, it really is amazing how much the sun can impact the psyche.  I can't imagine living in the PAC NW!

Get out and enjoy today and my pic day of the week is Monday...prob make another run at 70F...

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

The pattern that is setting up this week and the rest of MAR into APR is the quintessential pattern that generates a "Bowling Ball" alley right through our Sub.  All the models are now seeing more and more high lat blocking and a parade of troughs slamming into the west and tracking pretty much due East across the nation.  I firmly believe that the impacts of the late season SSW event is the culprit and Judah Cohen explains his reasoning behind this as well.

1.png

2.png

Following our major storm this week, the storm parade dialing up will continue to pad those snow statistics...

1.gif

I don't remember how last APR opened up but this year it is trending towards a stormier look...April Fools says Mother Nature???  Both EPS/GEFS are in remarkable agreement at this range for what may be a CO Low of sorts...#BowlingBall season

3.png

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_53.png

• Like 1