March 2022 Observations and Discussions

Hawkeye

Made it up to 19 today. Snow depth in the woods still well over the boots, but short of knee deep. At this point hoping its snow this week, as the alternative seems like more ice. If warm weather evades us the first full week of April ice won't be off the lakes for the opener the first week of May. Average ice off here is right about April 15th.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

At one point, this weekend was supposed to be in the 50s Saturday and 60s Sunday. Now it's going to be in the 40s both days. 

Monday, we're in the 50s while western Nebraska hits the 80s. Then on Tuesday we're supposed to make it to the mid 70s but the warm front is just to our north where it will be stuck in the 50s. A good amount of rain looks less and less likely now for mid week, but so far I have 2.5" of liquid precip this month.

Good ol' spring.....

• Like 3

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 34 there was a reported 0.5" of snow fall and at Grand Rapids the seasonal total is now at 70.6" That is still -4.4" from the current 30 year average. The overnight low was 23 both here and officially at GRR. I recorded 0.2" of snow fall and there is a trace of snow on the ground at this time with a temperature of 24 here.

• Like 1

A big snowsquall just rolled on through here in Macomb County. It is definitely slippery out there, along w/ howling winds. At some point, it looked like a a true blizzard, which lasted around 13 minutes. Wow. Winter Wonderland outside! Oh wait..its Spring! Temps are at 23F. WCF in the S.D's.

Wish this was a huge, stalled snowstorm during December, right b4 the holidays. Would have been a perfect timing.

NOAA:

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
1017 AM EDT Sun Mar 27 2022

MIZ070-271530-
Macomb-
Including the city of Warren
1017 AM EDT Sun Mar 27 2022

...Brief Reductions to Visibilities Possible with Snow Showers...

Radar shows isolated snow showers impacting southern Macomb County
that will be capable of quickly reducing visibilities down to a
half mile or less, and may result in a quick dusting of
accumulation on untreated roadways. These snow showers are located
south of Macomb Township and will impact portions of I94 over the
next hour. The duration of the heaviest snow should not be more
than 20 minutes in any given location. Drivers should be prepared
for rapidly fluctuating visibilities.
  • Like 3
  • Snow 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Wind has been roaring today with occasional snow flurries.

Had a snow shower yesterday with a temp of 52°F, and today with temps around 40°F. Hasn’t dropped below freezing once yet.

Tonight and tomorrow night look much colder though. Close to record breaking tomorrow night, in fact.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

How would you rate this winter for your experience?

I'd say pretty good. Biggest let down is the lack of a true storm. Had some some super heavy rates at times had some good totals of 9" or so, but never got that 12"+ storm and for what I hear normally se 2 or 3 of those a year. December had a great start and then the melt down followed by a good end. Jan was boring. Next to no system snow and very little lake effect. February has been fun with multiple 2-4" events and I believe  two maybe three 6"+ events. March has been pretty solid 2 woth multiple  snow events. On the year we are right around 85" I believe which assuming 2 or 3 more snows will put us pretty spot on aversge for here.

I'd give the winter a B. The massive melt in December and the lack of snow in January held it back from better imo. Having said that it is crazy how I dont really get excited about a 2-4" event after 2 winters up here, where as before I'd be super excited for them.  There is always snow on the ground and that is the best part. We built a snowman on Dec 16th and he's still standing today. That is the absolute best part

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Madtown said:

I'd say pretty good. Biggest let down is the lack of a true storm. Had some some super heavy rates at times had some good totals of 9" or so, but never got that 12"+ storm and for what I hear normally se 2 or 3 of those a year. December had a great start and then the melt down followed by a good end. Jan was boring. Next to no system snow and very little lake effect. February has been fun with multiple 2-4" events and I believe  two maybe three 6"+ events. March has been pretty solid 2 woth multiple  snow events. On the year we are right around 85" I believe which assuming 2 or 3 more snows will put us pretty spot on aversge for here.

I'd give the winter a B. The massive melt in December and the lack of snow in January held it back from better imo. Having said that it is crazy how I dont really get excited about a 2-4" event after 2 winters up here, where as before I'd be super excited for them.  There is always snow on the ground and that is the best part. We built a snowman on Dec 16th and he's still standing today. That is the absolute best part

Thanks for the input and I’m glad to hear your enjoying the move up north.  I’m sure it’s much more peaceful than living in the Madison area.  Nature is a big reason why folks make the move up into the Northwoods.  It’s fascinating to me how just a few hundred miles farther north can end up being such a big difference in the snowfall dept and winter as a whole.  Like you said, the best part is that you constantly can wake up every morning and see a blanket of snow OTG all season long.  

• Like 1

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 29. That is the 5th coldest high for any March 27th at Grand Rapids and the coldest for the date since a high of 28 in 1955. The coldest maximum for the date is 24 in 1904. The overnight low here in MBY was 15 the official overnight low at GRR was 17 and that is the 8 coldest low for any March 28th at Grand Rapids. This month has seen a couple of extremes. Back on March the high of 67 was the 8th warmest. So this month has seen both one of the warmest and coldest maximums for the month. At this time it is clear and a cold 18 here.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, westMJim said:

Even more amazing is that on that May 9th 1923 that snow fell during the daytime. So that must have been some heavy snow fall. Here are some reported totals from that snow storm. Detroit 6", Flint 12.0" Lansing 11.5" Saginaw 9.0" Grand Rapids 5.5", Muskegon 5" Toledo 4" Even Milwaukee 1.5" and Chicago 0.5" got in on the event. 

THIS!  That event has to be by far the most anomalous out-of-season winter event for SMI. My dad used to tell quite a few interesting winter storm stories. He said that one time his dad went to work on the trolley in Detroit comfy in a short sleeved shirt in the morning (he worked at Ford's foundry in Dearborn), and came home later that day in drifts to his knees. I've often wondered if this was that day? My dad would've only been 3 y.o. so he wouldn't have had firsthand memory. I thought he said it was some time in the "late teens" (1918?) though, so not certain. Also, a heavy wet snow like in spring is even harder to drift. Takes some serious winds. I'd be curious to see some daily wx map archives of this May snowstorm.  

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

2 hours ago, jaster220 said:

He said that one time his dad went to work on the trolley in Detroit comfy in a short sleeved shirt in the morning (he worked at Ford's foundry in Dearborn), and came home later that day in drifts to his knees.

It was not the day of the snow fall but on May 7th the high in Detroit was 74 and on the 8th it the high was 62. At Flint the the high was 78 on the 7th and 75 on the 8th before before the 12" of snow on the 9th So That very well may have been the day with a little padding added.

• Thanks 1

Have got to say today is just gorgeous.  
I’ll take a summer of this!!  Not a hint of the storms to come   

85*. Partly cloudy
29% Humidity

15-20 mph breezes. Gusting to 25mph +or-

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I have to add this as our Spring is becoming a fire season. Fire still not controlled.
I hope our rain solves this. 
my city had a small fire not far from me near the lake.  

Update: the #CrittenburgComplex in Coryell County is an estimated 33,175 acres and 0% contained. Crews will be working to secure portions of the fire and working as directly as possible. 
The fire is located West of Waco in Central Texas 

D1DFD72E-72D2-46B0-8F9F-50DE6D9711B3.jpeg

• Sad 3
  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Recorded a 54mph gust today with the passage of the 3rd cold front. That’s with some tree obstruction of my anemometer.

Low temp tonight should reach the low 20s at least. 

• Like 1
  • Windy 2

Currently at 19F under crystal clear skies, oh and there is a WWA for my area for snow and then freezing rain.

• Snow 1

April 2024:

65* clear this a.m. High of 83*. 
32 Wind Warnings up today.  
Bad for fires and will whip these storms up tonight. 

Severe storms to hit us at midnight tonight and storm till dawn. 
Heavy rain, high winds, potential for hail and nighttime tornados.  

Hurrah 😕

• scream 1

1 hour ago, Andie said:

65* clear this a.m. High of 83*. 

Severe storms to hit us at midnight tonight and storm till dawn. 
Heavy rain, high winds, potential for hail and nighttime tornados.  

Hurrah 😕

At least you won't have to worry about a expanding drought for a while, it's better then having very little rain.

• Like 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Even with a lot of late March sunshine yesterday the official high at Grand Rapids was only 33. That high of 33 is the 4th coldest maximum for any March 28th at Grand Rapids. The official overnight low at GRR was 16. That is the 5th coldest low for any March 29th No way around it very cold for the end of March. With that cold the spring green up is being somewhat delayed. Here in MBY the overnight low was 17 and at this time with some clouds it is 24. 

• Like 2

Damaging Wind event looks very possible for the OV down into the Deep South, with wind gusts up to 50-60 in Alabama & Mississippi, & possibly up to hurricane force further North.

Now try to combine the 50-60 mph gusts with a Squall Line, & the results aren't pretty, with possible thunderstorm gusts up to 100 mph. :yikes:

A High Risk for Destructive Wind Gusts is not out of the question for Mississippi & Alabama.

• Like 1
  • scream 2

Is this the first Moderate of 2022 or was there one on New Years Day? I forget. But someone is in for some storms tomorrow.

day2otlk_20220329-0600.png

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 hour ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

Is this the first Moderate of 2022 or was there one on New Years Day? I forget. But someone is in for some storms tomorrow.

day2otlk_20220329-0600.png

No, there was one just last week

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

75*. 
Wind 21 gusting to 38 mph. 
Humidity 52%. Dew 57%

Thought I’d post this as come the Big Blow it will be stripped tonight.  
Front should hit around midnight and rain till dawn.
Want the rain but you can keep nighttime tornado warnings! 

FF226033-16AB-43BB-AABD-CD1135898520.jpeg

• Like 1

Very consistent 40 mph winds right now. 
They’re warning of 60-70 mph tonight 1am to 5 am “with brief tornados and hail”.  

😂 Somebody help me. 
WTF is a “brief tornado” forecast??

• Windy 1

Local farmers weatherlink digital stations are showing between 0.30"-0.48" total precipitation from Jan. 1 - March 30.  Many on Weatherforums can blink and get 0.48".  I knew we hadn't had much, but didn't know it was this low.  Then add in a very dry Oct., Nov. and Dec. and you can see why we are in such a dangerous situation.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Local farmers weatherlink digital stations are showing between 0.30"-0.48" total precipitation from Jan. 1 - March 30.  Many on Weatherforums can blink and get 0.48".  I knew we hadn't had much, but didn't know if was this low.  Then add in a very dry Oct., Nov. and Dec. and you can see why we are in such a dangerous situation.  

What is the main crop that is grown in NE?  I can’t remember the last time I drove through the state in the summer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tom said:

What is the main crop that is grown in NE?  I can’t remember the last time I drove through the state in the summer.

In our area it is corn and soybeans.  The soil in this area is considered the best in the world.    It is why they can grow 300 Bushel an acre corn.  Luckily we have the Ogallala Aquifer below us for irrigation.  Unfortunately, that costs money for the electricity, fuel costs, and water.  There is a fear that it may be tough for a crop to come up without turning on irrigation systems if rain doesn't come.  This will hurt our local economy as everything is tied in some part to agriculture.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KC area has been wet of late.0nJUMs1r_x96.jpg

Yesterday, KC picked up 1.40"of rain falling just short of the daily record 1.44" (2017). The 1.40" KC received yesterday brings the monthly total to 5.13" over double the normal amount of 2.36". This is currently the 6th wettest March on the 134-year record
  • Like 3
  • Excited 1

Cant wait to start getting severe weather. Today felt beautiful w/ milder air coming in.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Southerly winds have arrived here this evening. Much warmer compared to this time yesterday.

Highs in the 70s tomorrow with gusts up to 50mph possible by midday. Also a slight risk of severe thunderstorms according to the CPC.

Low expectations for severe this early in the season, but it’s happened before. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Cant wait to start getting severe weather. Today felt beautiful w/ milder air coming in.

Better you than me. It gets too dangerous down here.  I’m tired of hail damage and torn up houses, wildfires. 

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

Not sure where to post this but here goes- Kind of an interesting data point.

Jan/Feb/March 2022 will be only the 4th(see note*) time this century that KDSM has had below normal temps each of the first 3 months of the year.

using current 30 year normals (1991-2020)-- all would have qualified though with their "at the time normals"

2022-      Jan 18.1F (-4.3) Feb 24.2F (-2.6) March going to be 39.1F (-.3F)

the others-

2008   Jan 19.4F (-3.0)  Feb 19.7F (-7.4)  March 35.6F (-3.8)

2014   Jan  18.0F (-4.4)  Feb 18.3F (-8.6) March 34.6F (-4.7)

2019   Jan 20.8F (-1.5)   Feb  18.3F (-8.6) March  34.4F (-4.9)

* would be a fifth in 2011 with current normals, but not at the time.

Some heavy hitters in there for snowfall (esp FEB all 3 top 5 all time)  and 2014 and 2019 were nearly identical. Scary close. 😲

2022 though it qualified is by far the mildest and least snowy of the others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yesterday was a very wet day. The official rain fall amount at Grand Rapids was 1.13″ and around 0.33″ more fell after midnight. Yesterdays high of 58 was recorded just before 8:30 PM and todays high of 56 was recorded overnight. March 2022 will end up wetter, a little warmer and have less snow fall than the current 30 year average. At the current time it is windy and 38 in MBY.

I guess it wasn't meant to be in northeastern Kentucky. We got the wind gusts. Somewhere over 40mph? But no lightning and only rained a little bit just to wet the lawns. 

Will be ending March with 2 thunders, I bet April sees more. 

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------