March 2022 Observations and Discussions

Hawkeye

We can certainly use the moisture although the potential for severe storms always exists in the southern plains.  
I’ll  be watching this as you can’t believe how dry things are.  Our contribution to the economy is important and we’re on the precipice of a deep recession.   
They say climate is history, well, weather is too.  

We’ll see 80* today.  
Windy 18 mph with gusts to 30.  
Windy week ahead.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Its Spring today. Looking forward to thunderstorms from this day on.  So far, no big storms, in fact, it gets a little cooler next week w/ temps briefly in the 40s for highs, b4 warming into the 50s by weeks end. Some rainshowers along too.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Fires in Central Nebraska. This is in the Sandhills around Broken Bow. It is about 1 hour north of I80. 

Family and I was coming home from Great Wolf Lodge in KC today and seen two wild fires on our way home. One of them I seen farmers disking out in front 2 miles trying to prevent the spread. We need some sort of soaking in the worse way. 

• Like 5

We hit 67º today with light wind and sun.  It was quite pleasant.  The daffodils are shooting up and the tulips just emerged.  Spring is here.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Happy Monday!  We got ourselves a rollercoaster of a week of wx.  I'm grateful for the sunshine we had all day yesterday.  It started off chilly with frost on the grass and roof tops, but the Spring sunshine went to work and we shot up into the low 60's for a high (63F).  While yesterday was delightful, today will be even better with abundant sunshine as low 70's are in the grid.  I'm going to enjoy every bit of it and likely grill later today.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, Bryan1117 said:

Looking at this map, North Bend, NE has a total of less than 2” of snow this season and Columbus, NE is just under 4” so far. Wow, that’s just brutal and unbelievable at the same time. 

#WinterToForgetInNebraska

Popping in here from the other side of the divide.... That is just brutal.

Here in rainy Seattle, right next to the ocean, the airport's had 9.2". Technically that's above average, but only by a hair. If you're east of the Rockies and north of Fort Worth, and you're still getting less snow than Seattle through mid March, then...wow. For the record, less than 2" is a torrid winter, even here. 😬

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Sunset in Austin, Tx. Probably enhanced by particles from the Eastland County fires.  Tomorrow is supposed to bring rain, so I hope it rains to put the fires out and discourage further spring fires.  Hope it pours!  

C5322EA7-A7E3-441B-902A-C14AE8ED4523.jpeg

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

This weekends tally

The #EastlandComplex is now 7 fires: KiddFire (42,333 acres, 40%), BlowingBasinFire (est. 258 acres, 50%), CedarMountainFire (est. 179 acres, 0%), OakMottFire (4,031 acres, 75%), WheatFieldFire (7,268 acres, 55%), MangumFire (est. 11 acres, 85%),
WallingFire (383 acres, 100%).

467988F3-C3A9-4361-8639-85D01CF50ABC.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Storm 1

Yesterday was a great March day the high here was 58 and with all of that sun if felt very nice. I did some yard work raking up some leaves left over from last fall. And I ran out the gas in the snow blower, boy there did not seem to be that much gas in the tank but it sure did take a long time for it to run out. 

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 56 the official overnight low was 30. The overnight low here at my house was 31. At this time it is clear and 34 here. With 20 days of March 2022 in the record books the mean at Grand Rapids is 35.8 that is a departure of +2.1. The snow fall for March remains at 5.3" and for the season it remains at 69.9"

We’ll have a High in the low 70’s.  Low in the 40’s.  100% chance of rain today, some heavy. 

High Wind and Fire warnings until rain arrives.  Let’s hope North Central Texas get a boatload of rain.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Popping in here from the other side of the divide.... That is just brutal.

Here in rainy Seattle, right next to the ocean, the airport's had 9.2". Technically that's above average, but only by a hair. If you're east of the Rockies and north of Fort Worth, and you're still getting less snow than Seattle through mid March, then...wow. For the record, less than 2" is a torrid winter, even here. 😬

Less than 15” around here is about where you’re like “wow that’s pretty bad”. This low of winter snowfall has to be a once in 100-200 years for eastern Nebraska, unless a random spring dumping happens.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Onwards and upwards....what happens when we have a -AO/-NAO duo???  #stormparade...I see 4 systems thru the next 2 weeks...I'm sure this pattern will deliver much needed moisture across the plains

1.gif

12z GFS showing storm after storm @Tom.  Lots of moisture with them, rain or snow at this point doesn't really matter to most, I'd assume.

• Like 3

Yesterday was another very nice March day. It looks like that will be the last one for a good while. The official high here in Grand Rapids was 62 it was a much warmer 73 at Kalamazoo but a much colder 40 at Traverse City. The overnight low here at my house was 39 at this time it is cloudy and 40.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, Andie said:

The Texas drought is already in full swing and rancher and farmers are feeling it’s bite.  

This is the result of the Eastland wildfire about 100 miles west of Ft Worth.  We’d best prepare for more and the price will be high in many ways. After these fires ranchers have to drive their land and put down cattle still alive.  Pray for Rain. 

D9F64827-46F0-40D6-B6D2-BD0ED1057722.jpeg

I came here to post on this.

Our states in December alone experienced one of the fastest flash droughts or drought advances ever recorded. This has been steadily worsening since and I know that I and several others have taught or explained that snow doesn't do a whole lot to mitigate a drought.

Thankful for the rain, but we're going to need a lot more. I'm thankful to be in the only region in Oklahoma not in any drought whatsoever, so I'm going to continue being thankful even if its cold and rainy.

• Like 2

We’re in big trouble down here. I had never heard of a flash drought but it hit out of nowhere. 
We got a good shower from this but need many more. As it came down hard we had a good deal of run off. So whether it helped we’ll have to see. 
It was an amazing storm. Haven’t seen skies that black or heard a half hour of non stop heavy rolling thunder in a long long time. 
It was other worldly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

0z GFS hinting at a major storm to close out the month as the pattern becomes blocked up.  Could be Winters last stand.

Meanwhile, the last couple Euro runs have trended toward a chilly omega block at the end of the month.  Let's hope that reverses.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

When I left the west coast I thought I'd also be leaving the smoke back there. We're getting smoky smelling air here in Eastern Kentucky from somewhere. lol

Short lived I bet. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Our normal high temp hits 50º Wednesday, so from now on any day stuck in the 40s is below avg.

Spring has sprung here. Everything in bloom, grass is green, willows and honeysuckle have leafed out, buds maturing on some of the larger mature trees.

Looks like some spring rains and possibly thunderstorms in store tomorrow night.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

When I left the west coast I thought I'd also be leaving the smoke back there. We're getting smoky smelling air here in Eastern Kentucky from somewhere. lol

Short lived I bet. 

Could be a planned burn somewhere. But late winter - mid spring is technically our “fire season”, thanks to low dewpoints and a deeper mixing layer. Nothing like the west, though, and it’s quickly squashed in late spring as humidity rises.

That western wildfire smoke does occasionally fill the skies here in August/September, but it’s usually elevated/above the mixing layer.

Once again, the op Euro is showing an awful, cold omega block pattern.  The latest run has a week of 30s and 40s here.

image.thumb.png.c8128ff3371f5d86be6f14d1d82ae0d8.png

image.thumb.png.d2a5b1ca8bcb9b59364e2e263899d628.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Wow. We’re back into the same pattern. Overcast, windy 21 mph gusting to 31.  
But 59*.  Without the heating it’ll just be a chilly windy day.  No fireworks. 

Here’s a video of one of the small twisters yesterday.  Can’t believe this guy just drove away.  

https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1506105724929286152?s=27

• Like 2
  • scream 2

As a wx enthusiast, I marvel at the response of a late season SSW event coupled with high lat blocking can do in terms of extreme wx patterns.  If the modeling is right, its suggesting a return to winter for some, while hints of Summer for the south and a parade of storms traversing our Sub.  Where the heck was this blocking during Winter???  I see a hybrid clipper and another bowling ball to open APR.  Wild stuff. 

Oh, let's not forget, but this is fascinating to see a piece of the Polar Vortex literally track from the N Pole starting later tonight and head due S and into E GL's/Ontario region by this weekend.  @Niko @jaster220 won't be to happy....

1.gif

Sheesh, the likelihood of these amounts are not happening, but to see this much snow on the final days of MAR is wild.  @Madtown your glacier appears it will grow a bit after some melting.

0z Euro...

1.png

0z EPS...Ol' Man Winter is certainly not letting go to easy this year....

2.png

Not only are the GEFS cool/cold, but the EPS is also showing a large pool of sub normal temps to make its mark on our Sub through the extended....

2.gif

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sad 2
  • Sick 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Tom said:

As a wx enthusiast, I marvel at the response of a late season SSW event coupled with high lat blocking can do in terms of extreme wx patterns.  If the modeling is right, its suggesting a return to winter for some, while hints of Summer for the south and a parade of storms traversing our Sub.  Where the heck was this blocking during Winter???  I see a hybrid clipper and another bowling ball to open APR.  Wild stuff. 

Oh, let's not forget, but this is fascinating to see a piece of the Polar Vortex literally track from the N Pole starting later tonight and head due S and into E GL's/Ontario region by this weekend.  @Niko @jaster220 won't be to happy....

1.gif

Sheesh, the likelihood of these amounts are not happening, but to see this much snow on the final days of MAR is wild.  @Madtown your glacier appears it will grow a bit after some melting.

0z Euro...

1.png

0z EPS...Ol' Man Winter is certainly not letting go to easy this year....

2.png

Not only are the GEFS cool/cold, but the EPS is also showing a large pool of sub normal temps to make its mark on our Sub through the extended....

2.gif

That pattern could lead to a large severe weather outbreak a week from today across the middle of the country.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

I recorded 0.24" of rain from yesterday late afternoon to 7AM this morning. The official high yesterday at Grand Rapids was 46.  The overnight low in MBY was 38 and at this time it is cloudy and 42. With a high of 85 this was the last really warm day of the heat wave of March 2012. In that March heat wave there were 9 days in a row with highs in the 70's and 80's ranging from 74 to 87. And in total there were 15 days in a row with departures of +15° or more with 5 of the days with departures of +30 or more.

• Like 3