3/4 - 3/8 Multi-Day Wave Train

Tom

The first, in what will be a series of waves coming out of the SW/4 corners region, will be an elongated CO Low that ejects out into the Plains and tracks towards the W GL's region.  How strong will the blocking be up north?  This first system looks to take a track into IA and then thru the GL's.  There will be a potpourri of precip types from Heavy Snow, ICE, Storms and a good amount of rain.  Let's discuss....#SWFlow

0z Euro Op...a little warmer than the GFS up in the Northwoods but still dumps a good amount of Snow with this 1st system...

1.png

0z GFS showing a stronger HP Block up on top....

snku_acc.us_mw.png

0z GEFS....

image.png

0z Canadien...

snku_acc.us_mw.png

Meantime, those south of the track are going to warm up quite a bit and get a taste of Spring....doesn't last long but I'm sure it'll feel pretty darn good!

Here's an animation of the 500hpa vorticity off tonight's 0z Euro...just look at the complexity of all the pieces of energy targeting the West Coast....busy times tracking ahead...

1.gif

0z EPS...farther south with the snow mean thru Saturday...

2.png

3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Tom pinned this topic

NWS Hastings morning disco::

In addition...the flow will become more active as several disturbances will round the base of the trough across the southwest and cross the plains. With the cooler air then in place...could actually see a chance for snow across the local area this weekend and into next week as this more unsettled...and potentially beneficial period...is expected to continue into next week. Models have been hinting at this for several days and consistency continues to increase giving the hope for some much needed precipitation to the local area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

NWS Hastings morning disco::

In addition...the flow will become more active as several disturbances will round the base of the trough across the southwest and cross the plains. With the cooler air then in place...could actually see a chance for snow across the local area this weekend and into next week as this more unsettled...and potentially beneficial period...is expected to continue into next week. Models have been hinting at this for several days and consistency continues to increase giving the hope for some much needed precipitation to the local area.

Boom!  I hope you score Big in the snow dept.   You should fair well in precip overall.

• Like 2

Models are trending towards a warm cutter into N Wisco/U.P. which doesn't really bode well for the trails up north.  0z Euro and GFS poke the warm nose really far north into the U.P.

0z EPS for both waves...

1.png

2.png

0z Euro...

3.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

12Z GFS wants to dry slot much of Central Nebraska with the 2 waves.  Nothing would surprise me with this winter.  

Don't worry it develops rain just in time to mess up skiing and snowboarding for southern Wisconsin lol. Would love to see you all get rain then it all crap out by the time it gets here. But this winter really hates Nebraska and southern WI.

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, gimmesnow said:

Don't worry it develops rain just in time to mess up skiing and snowboarding for southern Wisconsin lol. Would love to see you all get rain then it all crap out by the time it gets here. But this winter really hates Nebraska and southern WI.

You just shake your head at how bad things have been for many on this board.  Unless it is a big storm/blizzard, I'd just as soon have rain to help with our drought conditions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

12Z Canadian for 240 hours of precipitation.  Just wow.

12Z Canadian 3 1.png

lol that little tiny dry spot in SE Wisconsin is exactly where I want it to be, too bad it's still 10 days out. If that verified I'd be a very happy snowboarder.

10 hours ago, Madtown said:

how bad we lookin? Down and out with a brutal bug. 101 fever for the past 3 days

Not looking good for the Northwoods of Wisco/U.P....sadly, this storm is trending warmer pulling up much warmer air out in front of it and tugging up a lot of moisture.  The only positive is there will be enough cold air in place inititially to lay down some snow before the RN moves in with embedded storms.  #slopfest.  As long as temps/DP's don't surge to much it shouldn't be too bad.

@Beltrami Island may be close enough to cash in...

snku_acc.us_nc.png

snku_acc.us_mw.png

0z Canadien is better....

snku_acc.us_mw.png

The secondary piece is showing up on the models and trying to "stat pad" the seasonal snowfall's across the lower lakes and of course, KC peeps and @Clinton

snku_acc.us_mw.png

snku_acc.us_mw.png

0z Euro...

1.png

• Snow 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Not looking good for the Northwoods of Wisco/U.P....sadly, this storm is trending warmer pulling up much warmer air out in front of it and tugging up a lot of moisture.  The only positive is there will be enough cold air in place inititially to lay down some snow before the RN moves in with embedded storms.  #slopfest.  As long as temps/DP's don't surge to much it shouldn't be too bad.

@Beltrami Island may be close enough to cash in...

snku_acc.us_nc.png

snku_acc.us_mw.png

0z Canadien is better....

snku_acc.us_mw.png

The secondary piece is showing up on the models and trying to "stat pad" the seasonal snowfall's across the lower lakes and of course, KC peeps and @Clinton

snku_acc.us_mw.png

snku_acc.us_mw.png

0z Euro...

1.png

Sadly, the storm tracks would have to shift way nw for me to realistically hope for significant snow over the next 10 days....Duluth would have to be in the warm sector entirely. 

This storm track is classic minnesota precip climo, which leaves me in a position oh so close but out of the snow/precip shield.  I can think of many instances where Ifalls 60 miles to my east gets 6"+ snow and I am left high and dry.

81-10_precip_norm_annual.bmp

I have 24" snow depth on March 2nd, and a week+ of solidly below freezing days ahead, so I can't really complain if I get missed over the next 10 days. 

• Like 2

What in the heck is the EURO trying to do early next week here in KC. It has a full blown snowstorm here after 80's this week. WOW!! Has some support from the GFS also. 

After that, maybe some really cold air to enter the pattern for another possible winter storm around the March 10-15th time frame. 

Today, pool like weather, Saturday thunderstorms, Sunday evening rain over to a snowstorm on Monday???

Let's Go!

• Like 4

Per Gary’s blog this morning 

This is evolving now, and we will see if the models continue trending into this solution. Here is what I wrote to a Weather 20/20 customer in mid-December for this next week: "This period will begin with a great chance of our biggest snowstorm of the season." So, this next storm has been on our "LRC Radar" for over two months to arrive in these next few days.

• Like 2

Riding the line again Monday.  Same all year, even in March?  Can I get it to come north a little bit?  Putting my new snow blower together on Saturday  when it may be in the low to mid 60's.  Another chance in 8-9 days as well.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

It appears Pivotal is working for you?

I am getting a 404 error, and there was a message about it being know the model images weren't working....

(3 March 2022) Web service has been restored. Plus features will be publicly available until we can confirm user logins are working later today.

If you're still stuck, try going to the main page.

• Like 1