3/4 - 3/8 Multi-Day Wave Train

Tom

8 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

@CentralNebWeather that’s a nice looking band coming your way. Hopefully it’s strong enough to whiten the ground and can stay together for my area! 

44246C50-C64A-43DA-B8FC-46805D3AC90C.png

Coming down nicely. Where has this been all winter?  Could be an interesting week. Storm later in the week could have some implications for travel to the State HS Basketball tournaments. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Coming down nicely. Where has this been all winter?  Could be an interesting week. Storm later in the week could have some implications for travel to the State HS Basketball tournaments. 

Yeah was planning on going down Wednesday thru Friday. Plans might change now! Glad the ground is covered hoping for the same thing here.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

Yeah was planning on going down Wednesday thru Friday. Plans might change now! Glad the ground is covered hoping for the same thing here.

We have school Monday-Wednesday this week and Parent Teacher Conferences Tuesday 4-8 and Wednesday 2-6. I was thinking of taking my son down Thursday for the Semi finals, but we’ll see. I have the NFHS subscription so I can watch all the games in the man cave on the big screen so we have that as a backup plan. Should be a great tournament with boys and girls combined this week. 

• Like 2

In two hours I already have 2".  A real nice band has been parked over us, dumping fairly large flakes.

• Like 4
  • scream 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

In two hours I already have 2".  A real nice band has been parked over us, dumping fairly large flakes.

flakes are giant in Iowa City right now. Probably 1.5"/hr rates, though snow at this intensity appears as if it will be fairly brief

I have 1.5" atm.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

NWS point and click as increased totals to 3-5".  2" through midnight. Easily a shot 4" or so. Not bad considering 24 hours ago the chance of 4"+ was less than 5%.

• Like 6

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It has been snowing at about 1"/hr since it started earlier.  I'm up to 3.6".  We will likely finish at the top of the model range.

• Like 5

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

up to 4" as of 3:10AM at KDSM. Got a shot at 6". 2nd system in less than 2 weeks that has vastly over performed.  36 hours ago official NWS forecast was for less than 1" possible.

• Like 4
  • scream 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The precip started out as Pingers hitting my skylight that woke me up around 11:30pm and then transitioned to snow about an hour or so later.  I measured 1.1" on my deck about an hour ago...hopefully the second wave that moves through can produce another 1-2 inches.  Glad to see another overachiever for you guys out west in NE/IA.  It's interesting (in a good way) how many times this year the models have busted on snowfall within 24-36 hours.

@Grizzcoat not only busted out the TOR magnet but the SN magnet...

• Like 3

To illustrate how bad snows have been in C.IA in recent March's -- (using KDSM for official data)  this event is going to be the largest since March 19-20th, 2010 when 6.7" fell, and it's really not even close to 3rd place.(3-4")  Pushing 5" as I write.

• Like 5

Even 5" for the event (3.2" since midnight). Seasonal total now at 30.8". Only 1" below normal. What a weird a$$ winter.....

• Like 5
  • lol 1

6 minutes ago, MSP_Weather said:

Super happy for you guys in Nebraska!

It’s about time isn’t it LOL, I am just glad we are getting moisture… with the stronger storm system incoming later this week we should be making up some deficits around here a little bit more.

• Like 3

There is a typical spring time snow fall here this morning. So far 1.5" of snow  on the grassy areas and just wet sloppy mess on the road and driveway. The current temperature here is 31. Yesterday was windy and with the cold front going thru overnight the high of 58 was reached just after midnight. The daylight hours were windy and in the upper 30's. 

• Like 2

The first six days of March had a +9.8 temp anomaly, but we have a fresh blanket of snow on this crisp March 7 morning. A solid 1.5" on the deck with maybe a bit more in the grassy areas. Very nice morning.

20220307_073956.jpg

• Like 5

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Much need moisture that was able to soak in.

Kansas City received 0.67" of precipitation yesterday...that was the highest single day total since 11/10/21 when we got 1.25". In fact the 0.67" yesterday exactly matched the total precipitation Kansas City received for the entire month of February.
  • Like 4

I finished with 5.8" of snow here. The higher end models were right on. 

It's amazing how we went from having severe thunderstorms with 60mph winds and heavy rain Saturday night to having almost 6 inches of snow just 24 hours later. The weather in the Midwest is interesting for sure!

• Like 6