[Missing] March 2022 PNW Wx Discussion

1 minute ago, gusky said:

GOES-T west launching less than a minute!!

Going to be an improvement for us in terms of satellite images?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Going to be an improvement for us in terms of satellite images?

Yep, new West sat, should be pretty epic

• Like 4

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

5 minutes ago, gusky said:

Yep, new West sat, should be pretty epic

GOES-17 had thermal issues that impacted infrared, this one fixes those issues and improves technologies in general it seems. Not sure if it's higher res...

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Rain has completely stopped now and there are some sun breaks.   Very spring-like out there with warm, moist air.    The grass looks like its turning green on steroids right now and the buds on the alder trees are much bigger and more prominent than they were last week.     This extreme AR event feels like it has jump started spring up here.   Of course it will probably snow again next week! 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Today:  2.80"
3-Day: 10.44"
Year:    31.19"

Thanks... was hoping for an update.  

Almost 3 inches on the day after the big rain event.    😃

And just about a foot of rain in 72 hours... without any major flooding.   Impressive!  

Just incredible rain amounts across the entire Snoqualmie River basin over the last 3 days but the Snoqualmie River has crested below major flood stage.      It must be related to the long duration of the event.

squw1_hg (4).png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Ms. Anthrop said:

Not the embankments that are about 7 feet above the river, no, but for example where the senior center is, the river has completely covered the path that's 6 ft wide, and is encroaching on the grass lawn. Looks like it's running about 2 ft deep on the path. I'll try to get a picture tonight if I can.

There were also two minor mudslides on Rainier Ave; one in the city proper almost directly across from the airport control tower (City of Renton/KC roads have done nothing but put cones out) and one about a mile and half further north on Rainier that was blocking the southbound lane just before the Stone House restaurant. Drove past it maybe 5 minutes after it happened at 4:30 and SDOT was already taking care of it. 

IMG_7071.jpg

We lived in Renton during the 1990 storm that sank the I-90 bridge. The Cedar River pretty much filled that channel under and west of the library. I think they actually closed the library for a while. 

• Excited 1

6 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

The 18z GFS looks awfully dry after tomorrow. 

Well... last week you said we would learn how everything shifts north and the AR event would end up in BC.    

And yet we still managed to pick up almost a foot of rain in 3 days in my area and SEA had one of the wettest days ever recorded and almost 5 inches of rain since Saturday.     Trust the EPS over the 18Z GFS.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

has there ever been a 3 year back to back to back nina?  Are we headed toward that super rare territory?

1998-2001 was the most recent time that happened.    Almost happened from 2010-2012.

Also happened from 1973-1976 and 1954-1956.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Today:  2.80"
3-Day: 10.44"
Year:    31.19"

Side note... we are 30% of the way to normal March rainfall by afternoon on the first day.  👍

59 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

has there ever been a 3 year back to back to back nina?  Are we headed toward that super rare territory?

Yes, 1998/99 to 2000/01. And 2001/02 was cold neutral.

Don't know if anyone cares about this but tried Microsoft Flight Simulator and Seattle is modeled really well. The game uses real-time flight and weather data

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

My Twitter

Some road flooding down below us... but we got off so easy considering almost a foot of rain as fallen since Saturday.    In January 2009... this road was completely destroyed by flooding.   It was just washed away.    Much better this time around.

20220301_163144.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

As it should be, given it's Microsoft.

I've seen way better graphics with it when people mod it with google maps data, bing maps is not quite on the same level of quality

My Twitter

14 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Not even close to a foot.

Pretty close... about 11 inches up here since Saturday.    🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Can see Tim’s island of blue in a sea of orange.

B095816D-3E75-45B7-B211-7C5DBBA27155.thumb.jpeg.11647905f50eccd6e4a6ede3774eb121.jpeg

Do you have that map from October - February?     

Or how about SON?    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I just meant because Microsoft is based there. 🙂

You'd think they'd work on it a bit more than other cities, but it still has issues with the water level (the sound seems to be at an extreme, record high flood level or something) and other details. Overall, very detailed though. I even flew near a couple buildings I'm familiar with and they look pretty much the same as real life, I don't really know how that's possible.

My Twitter

2 hours ago, gusky said:

Don't know if anyone cares about this but tried Microsoft Flight Simulator and Seattle is modeled really well. The game uses real-time flight and weather data

Luv the sim….played since inception “almost” but i did drop the ball this past couple years.  To much going on so haven’t tried the new one.   City’s definitely modeled quite well in the sim!!!   Enjoy

Gorgeous afternoon and warm 

59/50

• Like 3

Don’t think my snow will survive the night…Was a good run though! 
55/48 on the day. Currently 50.

.13” on the day, 10.65” on the year. 

01ECC5F4-4E42-4E9A-B9E4-EF9ECE48FA4D.jpeg

• Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Flight simulator is great. But Dallas, TX is a joke. Just a bunch of generic blocks.

• Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Sad 2
  • Troll 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

15 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Flight simulator is great. But Dallas, TX is a joke. Just a bunch of generic blocks.

I'll have to check it out later tonight. Interested to see how consistent the quality is. Like I said before, Seattle is quite impressive but for some environmental issues. But the fact that I can navigate my way around the city based on specific buildings and landmarks, in a 1:1 earth map, is still mind-blowing to me.

My Twitter