3/9 - 3/12 Spring Storm

Tom

Well, most of the globals say it'll be a "swing and a miss" over here but the CAM's are suggesting 1-2" and just enough to whiten up the ground to make it look wintry for the St Patty's Day parade on Saturday morning.

03z RAP...

snku_acc.us_mw.png

06z HRRR...

snku_acc.us_mw.png

Hey, @OKwx2k4is in the game to add some more snow to his season...

1.png

• Like 1

• Tom changed the title to 3/9 - 3/12 Spring Storm

Got a whopping one tenth of an inch at KDSM. Nice even 31" for the season.

What a pathetic winter weather advisory in the OMA area. Seems like most areas received less than inch in the WWA around OMA. KOMA only had a trace of snow on the ground at 6am.

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have nearly 3" in MBY with moderate to heavy snow falling. A NWS employee near me reported 3.3" just before 8 AM CST.

The radar looks good for the moment and this could be my biggest snow of the season. A storm total of 3.4" would push Topeka over 20" for the season for only 2 of the last 8 winters!

snowtop.thumb.jpg.41b9d59bd455de2cde3d3b57e6506d10.jpg

• Like 5
  • Snow 3
  • scream 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

16 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

Wow.  12z NAM just gave KC the middle finger.  Yet another reason to take the models with a grain of salt.  They can change up to the time it starts snowing--and after.  And I'll take a bow for saying I was worried a few days ago that the heaviest snow could end up south of KC. 

Aren’t the global models not too reliable during the storm? I would just watch radar and the short term models since we are in the storm 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlgamer said:

I have nearly 3" in MBY with moderate to heavy snow falling. A NWS employee near me reported 3.3" just before 8 AM CST.

The radar looks good for the moment and this could be my biggest snow of the season. A storm total of 3.4" would push Topeka over 20" for the season for only 2 of the last 8 winters!

snowtop.thumb.jpg.41b9d59bd455de2cde3d3b57e6506d10.jpg

I’m excited for you to get what you been waiting for all winter!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jayhawker85 said:

Snowing is coming down nicely and radar is looking pretty good!

BD9A87D5-B8C3-4D8A-8ADE-2B606C3AFDA9.jpeg

32 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

Actually, I was all ready moving on to Spring before this came along...lol.

It's a nice snow to close out the Winter on and it will push us above average for the season.  I think this will be our last snow and then it will be on to a very crazy severe weather season imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clinton said:

It's a nice snow to close out the Winter on and it will push us above average for the season.  I think this will be our last snow and then it will be on to a very crazy severe weather season imo.

Winter seems to have saved the best for last over here anyway. Yeah, I expect severe weather season to be more active here than in recent years. We'll see...

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

2 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

Winter seems to have saved the best for last over here anyway. Yeah, I expect severe weather season to be more active here than in recent years. We'll see...

Radar looks great your way, heavy band of snow right along I-70.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I think we have 1 more snowstorm before the season is over. Don’t we have that one system that came due south from Canada that gave Iowa and eastern Nebraska like 10 inches of snow?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jayhawker85 said:

I think we have 1 more snowstorm before the season is over. Don’t we have that one system that came due south from Canada that gave Iowa and eastern Nebraska like 10 inches of snow?

Yes we do, we'll just need to see how plays out it could be a rainer this time.

7 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

The snowblower did a hell of a job this morning! Cleanest I’ve ever seen!

0FB77054-C8C7-4BC1-99F8-22B5D38D08C8.jpeg

Nebraska's natural snow blower has done so well this year blowing the snow to other states 

• lol 6

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

16 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

No snow this far north but I will get to experience something I never have before: double-digit negative temperatures! Friday night's low is forecasted for -1F with wind chills in the teens below zero. Sounds... cold!

Nice, enjoy it no more. Oh crap, the artic  front stalled again. You are feeling the orginal cold. Not cold modified by the Rockies and Cascade mountains. It really is a dynamic area to be in.  No more fighting the 50 degree Ocean which if the wind was onshore would ruin a snow day.  

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

That giant 50 degree moderating ocean was the bane of my existence over there. Any sort of onshore flow (which is a large majority of the flow there) would just about kill the chances for snow entirely unless we were dealing with a legit cold airmass at the 850mb level on down.

So glad to not have that as our nextdoor neighbor anymore!

Wait when did you move to Sioux Falls lol

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

The snowblower did a hell of a job this morning! Cleanest I’ve ever seen!

0FB77054-C8C7-4BC1-99F8-22B5D38D08C8.jpeg

Just now, MSP_Weather said:

Massive round of applause to the GFS on this one.

The GFS absolutely nailed this system in this area, I was laughing at that 0.1” storm total that it showed a couple days ago for Omaha - guess I am not laughing anymore.

• Like 3

Guidance seems to be delaying the ETA for bombogenesis with more suppression from the TPV. Hoping that reverses at the last minute, 18z NAM improved but I’d rather have the Euro. 🤞 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

That means people to the north, south east and west of me got more snow.  It's one thing to get missed by a storm.  It's another to be smack in the middle of it, and still get less than everyone around you.  I wonder how it managed to bypass KC.  Kind of amazing.

Dry air really cut your rates down this morning judging by the radar.  Nice band developing south of the city right now maybe it will lift north enough.