The Weather Forums

Russia-Ukraine Conflict

Many of our immigrants are the most devoted Americans.  They experienced how truly dreadful the world can be.  
Was that the same time as Hungary?  Or was that the 50’s they were invaded? 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Holy Smoke! They’re really losing it. The commander died  

———

One of Vladimir Putin's brigade commanders has been killed by one of his own troops, it has been reported. 

A furious Russian soldier drove over Russian Colonel Yuri Medvedev with a military tank on the frontline in protest, it has been claimed.

Angered by heavy losses suffered by the unit, he is said to have taken his commander down in front of other horrified soldiers.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Same for me. We're part of the 12%!!!

And same for me.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

On 3/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, MossMan said:

Seems like things are escalating…How’s everyone doing with their prepping for cyber attacks and other even worse attacks? 

Whatever they do, I DEFINITELY hope they don't target Twitter. That would be TRAGIC.

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"), 12/2 (1.0"), 12/4-5 (4.8"), 12/21 (3.1"), 12/25 (3.2"), 12/26-27 (8.6"), 12/28 (2.9"), 1/4-5 (3.2"), 1/14 (2.7"), 1/22 (2.8"),

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 51.7"                                                  Coldest Minimum: -28*F (1/1, 1/7)

Pretty amazing how differently the war has turned so far…not the way  many would’ve expected. One month ago I would’ve guessed by now that most of the Eastern half of Ukraine and Kyiv would be under Russian control. Now I don’t think Russia will be able to even control some of the territory it currently holds. 
 Russia severely overestimated its own military capabilities…and greatly underestimated the ability of the Ukrainians to fight back. Not to mention NATOs ability to get billions of dollars of weapons into Ukrainian and basically cut the Russian economy in half. 
 Russia now claims it’s only purpose at this stage in the war is to control the eastern breakaway regions in the country. Might be trying to save face by lowering its goals to avoid looking weak…but it’s too late for that. 
  They could not gain air superiority…seemed to use WW2 tactics in an overall guerrilla style war and have taken significant losses (10-15% of its military capabilities). This along with the economic fallout Russia is in a dark place. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Couple of things could possibly happen here. Russia could be pulling troops back to defensive positions…and putting a pause on further advances. Could just be waiting for warmer drier weather and the mud season to end. Would also give them time to allow reinforcements to come in for a bigger push. 
 Maybe Russia is happy with keeping the territory it has…brokers a peace deal keeping it’s claimed territory. Gives putin a “win” and stops the war from incurring more economic and military losses. 
 Final scary scenario is their pulling back so they can potentially use chemical weapons. I think as much as nuclear weapons have been talked about…they won’t go there. They want to occupy the country not make the land in uninhabitable. Either way…can’t trust the Russians eventually they will continue the offensive if there’s a “pause”. They may not pause at all but hard to think they’ll be able to keep this war going at this rate. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I scored 11%.  
I think my fiscal opinions on govt got me in a smaller group.  
Re Ukraine.  I think Putin discovered that Ukraine (probably people in general) are not push overs today. This isn’t 1938 with Hitler invading the Sudetenland.  
Further, his army was lied to as to why they were invading and they were under supplied and under manned. 
When soldiers kill their own commander on the field of battle you have a serious problem.  

Putin has D**n little support for this war against their neighbor. I’ve read of the dissatisfaction within the Oligarchs so there’s hardly consensus around that 50’ table he sits at. Putin is very much alone in this. You have to wonder if he can hold power? And will they get rid of him?  
Russia is hurting monetarily. The ruble is currently worth 1 US cent.  

19 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

My mom fled Czechoslovakia in 1968 when the USSR invaded the country.

Today her relatives and friends in Czech Republic are worried Putin might do it all over again. They also say that lots of Ukrainian refugees are coming and demanding things from them and are not being very friendly.

Anyway, here's a fun little quiz to take. As you may guess, my result was Faith and Flag Conservative.

I'd rather have this than faith & flag. I used to try marketing myself as a moderate, but COVID shoved me over the aisle.

image.png.d4884028ee39c6f6b4ffbd31c9a5b1e1.png

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"), 12/2 (1.0"), 12/4-5 (4.8"), 12/21 (3.1"), 12/25 (3.2"), 12/26-27 (8.6"), 12/28 (2.9"), 1/4-5 (3.2"), 1/14 (2.7"), 1/22 (2.8"),

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 51.7"                                                  Coldest Minimum: -28*F (1/1, 1/7)

5 hours ago, MSP_Weather said:

I'd rather have this than faith & flag. I used to try marketing myself as a moderate, but COVID shoved me over the aisle.

image.png.d4884028ee39c6f6b4ffbd31c9a5b1e1.png

That's the same result I got. Some of those questions were pretty slanted and lacked nuance which probably led to a further-right bucket than I would put myself in all things considered, but it's probably fairly close.

• Like 1

Weather station: https://sodakweather.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SoDakWx

• Longtimer
34 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I, for one, have no idea how big any of your pp’s are.

But we all know yours since ESPN picked up the Naked Badminton semi finals!! 

• lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

I, for one, have no idea how big any of your pp’s are.

Good.

• Longtimer
1 hour ago, MossMan said:

But we all know yours since ESPN picked up the Naked Badminton semi finals!! 

ESPN AfterDark that is…

• lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

• Longtimer

Interesting take…Keep prepping canadian style!! 

• lol 1
  • Sick 1

• Longtimer

Yep he is going to get us all killed. Well both of them as they are both out of their minds but we (the US) really need to stay the hell out of the situation over there but we won’t and it won’t be good. 

9EFC5354-A1F7-4F72-94DF-5EB43988C08C.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MossMan said:

Yep he is going to get us all killed. Well both of them as they are both out of their minds but we (the US) really need to stay the hell out of the situation over there but we won’t and it won’t be good. 

9EFC5354-A1F7-4F72-94DF-5EB43988C08C.jpeg

IMO, we’re already basically in a state of war with Russia. We’ve already used economic warfare to destroy their economy. We’ve now sent billions of dollars of weapons to their enemy…which in return is killing Russian soldiers. I think at some point before 2030 we will actually be at war with Russia for real. Don’t see any way to back away and de-escalate after everything that’s happened. Just seems like a matter of time. 

• Sad 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s pretty much a proxy war on our side.  
Only good I see is it has shown Putin’s weaknesses on a global scale.  Putin’s not himself and the army he sent is I’ll prepared but I don’t think that will last.  
Smarter heads will step in and things will either ramp up or calm down but it’s a mess right now.  

Biden’s Iran deal will allow Russian to buy all of Iran’s excess uranium.  
Iran will be able to fund more proxy wars like Yemen against Saudis.  This President completely undid the Mideast peace deal in record time.  He’s going to destroy us all. 

Further, Biden made a passionate statement on an international stage this weekend that Putin must step down, and American spoke of boots on the ground in Ukraine in another gaff then the WH had to walk it back.  We look SO pathetic. 

Clean up on aisle 6 !

Okay, Real Question 

Do we really think Putin will unleash an EMP, or expand the war and the Oligarchs sit back and allow this crazy fool to destroy their billions and political ambitions? 

Putin’s ill and they know it. 

5 hours ago, Andie said:

Okay, Real Question 

Do we really think Putin will unleash an EMP, or expand the war and the Oligarchs sit back and allow this crazy fool to destroy their billions and political ambitions? 

Putin’s ill and they know it. 

I think the oligarchs have much less power than we think.  They're all afraid of Putin and he was the one who enabled all their riches. So if Putin goes down, they all will.

6 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

IMO, we’re already basically in a state of war with Russia. We’ve already used economic warfare to destroy their economy. We’ve now sent billions of dollars of weapons to their enemy…which in return is killing Russian soldiers. I think at some point before 2030 we will actually be at war with Russia for real. Don’t see any way to back away and de-escalate after everything that’s happened. Just seems like a matter of time. 

Yeah I mostly agree with this.  The notion that sentence will suddenly make Putin's even harsher actions justified is ridiculous.

Do we really want to be dealing with a nuclear superpower who thinks it's ok to claim sovereign territory its own?

Elections are fake.  The guy siphons the wealth of the country to his cronies.  He belongs in the gallows.

5 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

I think the oligarchs have much less power than we think.  They're all afraid of Putin and he was the one who enabled all their riches. So if Putin goes down, they all will.

Hard to say. Putin hasn’t been himself of late and there are roughly 140 Oligarchs.  That’s a lot of powerful enemies.  

Putin’s mental and physical health are not strong. Parkinson’s wrecks you mentally and physically and he’s been seen to have hand tremors.  So, it’s more advanced than many knew. That means his brain is not what it was.  Let’s hope they take advantage of a weak moment.  Russian power struggles are very ugly.  

22 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

When you and your allies have a proven track record of poisoning opponents, that is a pretty strong deterrent.....and it looks even the oligarchs are no shielded from this tactic....reports coming it out toady that Abramovich ***may*** be the latest person to learn that lesson.  Does not appear to be 100% certain he was poisoned, but it will be interesting to see where this story goes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60904676

Have to agree. Someone is getting rid of competition or anyone trying to derail the plan. Nothings changed there since the Middle Ages.  
When they can poison you with a substance on common every day articles, like a pen or on anything you regularly touch you’re in dangerous waters. 
That’s why Putin won’t let anyone get within about 30’ of him. He knows he’s marked. 

• Like 1

• Longtimer

Biden careening towards ww3. Ugh. 

• Excited 2
  • Angry 1
  • Snow 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

• Longtimer
1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Biden careening towards ww3. Ugh. 

Yeah it’s a bad bad deal. I’m afraid he should not be allowed to speak publicly anymore and handlers should carefully tweak or rewrite anything that comes from his mouth before putting out in public. I just hope to god the worse that will happen will be massive supply chain issues, or satellites being blown up causing massive communication disruptions in the US… I would even prefer an EMP over the other alternative.  At least we would have a fighting chance at survival. Russia has us way outgunned these days with its missile arsenal. This is getting very real very fast. 

• Weenie 2

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

Yeah it’s a bad bad deal. I’m afraid he should not be allowed to speak publicly anymore and handlers should carefully tweak or rewrite anything that comes from his mouth before putting out in public. I just hope to god the worse that will happen will be massive supply chain issues, or satellites being blown up causing massive communication disruptions in the US… I would even prefer an EMP over the other alternative.  At least we would have a fighting chance at survival. Russia has us way outgunned these days with its missile arsenal. This is getting very real very fast. 

Did I miss something?

A forum for the end of the world.

• Longtimer
4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Did I miss something?

Nah, everything is fine. 

7 hours ago, MossMan said:

Nah, everything is fine. 

940x450-This-is-fine-750x450.jpg

• Storm 1
  • scream 1

Honestly it seemed like Biden was just saying what everyone else was thinking when he said putin can’t remain in power. Maybe he shouldn’t have said it but still. Overall the Russians have been saying things that sound like scaling back and de escalation to save face…but you can’t trust them. Disinformation is a pretty big part of what they do…say one thing and do another. I can’t see how they can let the war go on though it’s costing billions of dollars a day to fund and they don’t have much to show for it….they have less now than they did 1 week into the conflict. Also severe military and economic losses. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

13 hours ago, MossMan said:

Once you hit a point of MAD (mutually assured destruction for the millennials in the crowd), the number of missiles is somewhat moot. 

Taken out of context, yeah what Biden said was pretty bad, and unfortunately, the media is only interested in short sound bites.  When heard *in context* with the rest of that part of the speech, it makes a lot more sense.

Regardless, I don't think there is much anyone could say that could "trigger" Putin......give him an excuse, maybe, but he doesn't give a D**n about anything the rest of the world is saying....

Another thought...it may have actually been on purpose.  George Bush v1.0 used to mispronounce Saddam Hussein's name.  Most people thought it was an accident, but it was very intentional. 

"Saddam" translates to "leader" or something along those lines

"Sad-m" translates to a rather vulgar insult in the Muslim world.

Back to the nuke thing, its impossible to say if Putin would go that route.  He is clearly not right in the head, and so we can't rely on completely rational thinking.  An EMP or chemical weapons seem quite plausible.  But for him to start popping off nukes, even tactical nukes would be foolish as it would render all of the resources he is fighting so hard for useless for generations. 

Side note, I read last night that Russian troops went charging into the most hazardous parts of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, tearing up highly contaminated soil without any protection whatsoever.  I wonder how many troops went into that area, and how they are holding up to the radiation.  I don't know if they could be facing very near term radiation sickness, or if it is a matter of how soon, not if, they start getting all kinds of cancer.  Either way, add them to the list of casualties.

• Like 1

• Longtimer
1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Once you hit a point of MAD (mutually assured destruction for the millennials in the crowd), the number of missiles is somewhat moot. 

Taken out of context, yeah what Trump said was pretty bad, and unfortunately, the media is only interested in short sound bites.  When heard *in context* with the rest of that part of the speech, it makes a lot more sense.

Regardless, I don't think there is much anyone could say that could "trigger" Putin......give him an excuse, maybe, but he doesn't give a D**n about anything the rest of the world is saying....

Another thought...it may have actually been on purpose.  George Bush v1.0 used to mispronounce Saddam Hussein's name.  Most people thought it was an accident, but it was very intentional. 

"Saddam" translates to "leader" or something along those lines

"Sad-m" translates to a rather vulgar insult in the Muslim world.

Back to the nuke thing, its impossible to say if Putin would go that route.  He is clearly not right in the head, and so we can't rely on completely rational thinking.  An EMP or chemical weapons seem quite plausible.  But for him to start popping off nukes, even tactical nukes would be foolish as it would render all of the resources he is fighting so hard for useless for generations. 

Side note, I read last night that Russian troops went charging into the most hazardous parts of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, tearing up highly contaminated soil without any protection whatsoever.  I wonder how many troops went into that area, and how they are holding up to the radiation.  I don't know if they could be facing very near term radiation sickness, or if it is a matter of how soon, not if, they start getting all kinds of cancer.  Either way, add them to the list of casualties.

The bolded section was far more often than not the case for four years. Shoes and the other foot…

• Like 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

• Longtimer
1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

The bolded section was far more often than not the case for four years. Shoes and the other foot…

Trump also said way too much stupid shitt…The difference is he spoke fluent stupid so all of the other stupids like Putin liked him. 

Sure be nice to have a non stupid or ancient stupid leader for once…

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

You sure about that? Most of the mainstream media has treated Biden with kid gloves compared to how they treated Trump. 

I wouldn't trust einsteinjr to call it fairly when it comes to liberals... this is the guy who thinks Seattle is being run well and everyone is just making a big deal out of nothing.   Decimate the police force and stop enforcing laws and allow every street and park to be filled with homeless people living in piles of trash and human waste with obscene graffiti literally everywhere... its all good.    Don't disrespect wonderful Seattle.    😃

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Longtimer
1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

You sure about that? Most of the mainstream media has treated Biden with kid gloves compared to how they treated Trump. 

Pretty sure einsteinhasasmallppjr genuinely likes Biden. A lot.

• Excited 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I wouldn't trust einsteinjr to call it fairly when it comes to liberals... this is the guy who thinks Seattle is being run well and everyone is just making a big deal out of nothing.   Decimate the police force and stop enforcing laws and allow every street and park to be filled with homeless people living in piles of trash and human waste with obscene graffiti literally everywhere... its all good.    Don't disrespect wonderful Seattle.    😃

Except for the mask and vaccine police.

14 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Except for the mask and vaccine police.

Exactly.   The irony is truly staggering.   

They moved heaven and earth to make sure all COVID rules were strictly enforced in the name of public safety while everything else went to complete sh*t.  Its such a disgrace.   Now these far left liberal leaders have no idea how to get out of the mess they created.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

You act like Seattle is the only city with these problems.  

And you sure do act like you know a lot about Seattle without living here.  Stay in your lane, mr north bend.