Powerful Spring Equinox Storm System

Tom

Oh baby!  Today really delivered and still is as it moves NE.  

Tornado warnings in North Texas, some hail, VERY black skies, and the best thunder I've heard in ages.  

Rainfall is still being figured but it wasn't important despite the drought. But to watch it develop both in the sky and the radar was too cool.  At one point the thunder began to roll and simply didn't stop.  

I could close my eyes and imagine what it must have sounded like to hear distant cannons roll at the Battle of Gettysburg. Loud percussive overlapping and Nonstop rolling thunder in the SW and South for almost 30 minutes. Black sky. Pouring rain.  Very other worldly atmosphere. Strange feeling I haven't felt in many years.  

Glad to see some relief from the drought. 

Please Sir, I want some more!  😊

• Like 8

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, Andie said:

Oh baby!  Today really delivered and still is as it moves NE.  

Tornado warnings in North Texas, some hail, VERY black skies, and the best thunder I've heard in ages.  

Rainfall is still being figured but it wasn't important despite the drought. But to watch it develop both in the sky and the radar was too cool.  At one point the thunder began to roll and simply didn't stop.  

I could close my eyes and imagine what it must have sounded like to hear distant cannons roll at the Battle of Gettysburg. Loud percussive overlapping and Nonstop rolling thunder in the SW and South for almost 30 minutes. Black sky. Pouring rain.  Very other worldly atmosphere. Strange feeling I haven't felt in many years.  

Glad to see some relief from the drought. 

Please Sir, I want some more!  😊

I was thinking a lot the same in my area over here too! This is just a big old booming, roaring storm. Its been a low, loud and steady rolling roar at times. Its intriguing. Very cool.

I'm so glad you're getting the rainfall. I know you've needed it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

The large gap in the radar has been there for most of the evening (~4-5 hours). It might finally be filling in.

I’ve been on the very northern edge of the southern batch of rain the entire time so I’m only up to .16” so far.

490868C6-BD99-4D17-A89B-7B03236A85D3.jpeg

I’ve been in gap the whole time and sitting at .04”. Hoping tonight’s precipitation pans out.

• Like 1

Tornado was just NW of me and on the edge of that rolling thunder I was hearing.  
it was an incredibly dynamic storm.  Our tornado sirens went off but true to  the Western Forum I went outside not to a closet! 😄 

That was the tornado that hit Bowie.  I have a friend in Bowie I’ll contact today. Appointment this morning.  He and his family may have been close to it.  

• Like 4

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

My Aunt has relatives in Kingston, OK, they're fine, but their friends got struck by the tornado

They're fine too, but they've lost their homes.

Sorry to hear this. Hadn't been down there in many years. Knew there were warnings up at various times but wasn't sure where the tornadoes were.

Kind of dates an era a bit but I was at the last 2 ever held of the Hawaiian Derby. I feel old when I think about thst stuff. Want to say that was 1998 and 1999.

Glad everyone is ok.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

This region of Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas has been the big winners in the Central Plains by far this winter/spring.  Just amazing how every storm has hit them.  Very jealous.

Those 4 people out there have really been showing off this year 

• Like 3
  • lol 3
  • Troll 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Overall it looks like less than expected in the Lincoln area. Only 0.61” fell at the airport. Per usual, we did get more in the southeast part of time, around 1” or so. Baby steps I guess, could’ve been nothing like the every precipitation chance in November through February.

• Like 4
  • Rain 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

We only picked up 0.23" of rain this morning.  Models all show the same scenario for this evening and overnight, but they differ slightly on placement.  A north-south band of good rain is expected to develop and pivot across my area, but models are split between over us and just west.  If it's over me I could get 1-2".  If it misses west I may struggle to get a half inch.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

24 minutes ago, MSP_Weather said:

New Orleans got slammed by their 2nd large tornado in 5 years.

image.thumb.png.e09e3d9445ae71653b8fbc6861242d0b.png

Thankfully it didn't look like it had a super long path, but you can see on Google Maps that all the main east-west roads in the Lower Ninth Ward/Arabi areas of New Orleans are dark red. Looks like it may have traveled a mile or so.

• Sad 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

12 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Models all show the same scenario for this evening and overnight, but they differ slightly on placement.  A north-south band of good rain is expected to develop and pivot across my area, but models are split between over us and just west.  If it's over me I could get 1-2".  If it misses west I may struggle to get a half inch.

The models totally nailed tonight's activity.  A narrow heavy band formed very near me.  The heaviest rain (1.50+") fell just barely west (by only a couple miles), but I did sneak under the east edge of the band and got 1.11".  The east side of the city got much less.  My total for the entire event is 1.34".  Our wet season has begun with two straight 1" soakers.  Keep them coming.

• Like 6
  • Rain 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I've been on the sidelines these past few days and slowly getting back into tracking this storm.  The footage coming from the deep south is remarkable and I'm sending prayers and positive vibes to all that have been effected.  This has turned out to be one massive and powerful storm.  It's mind boggling that it literally is effecting everyone from the U.S./Canada border all the way down towards the Gulf coast.  Quite and expansive system and a very slow mover...I've always enjoyed tracking these type of storms and I got a hunch that this is how our Spring wx pattern will continue into APR and MAY.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

A bit more rain overnight boosted my storm total to 1.43".

I agree models  nailed this system.  Ive had 1.82"  since 11 pm monday.  Tues evening  it just kept training  south to north along hwy 63.. my pond that we dredged  last July is almost full.  Once again my part of Iowa can kiss the drought  monitor  goodbye. And  yesterday  was a record  daily rainfall for OTM.

• Like 5

They nicely plotted out the carnage from 2 evenings ago.  That’s a lot of twisters.  

6E202093-3256-4CD1-A86F-CF1A75E8859C.webp

• Like 3