April 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Had some occasional snow/sleet showers all day off and on. Radar is very convective looking in nature with the showers moving through.

I've recorded my highest gusts yet on my new weather station IMBY with this system. 43.4 mph last evening which is rather impressive considering it's surrounded by trees and houses in the neighborhood. I'm still debating whether I want to put it up on a big pole to try and get it up in the wind better for days like this.... Maintenance would be harder and not sure if I would like getting temp/humidity reports from  25-30 feet off the ground.

What station do you have? Davis VP2 has the detachable anemometer for that exact purpose. Have mine on a pole as well.

2 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

tstrm_climo.png

I'm in the 45-54!! 🍹

• Excited 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

69* sunny 

WIND!!!  Man o Man, What a day.  Trial by fire just drive. 

Constant NW 25 mph

Gusting frequently to 50 mph. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looks like most of this month appears to be a Severe weather sequence for Oklahoma & Texas, especially in the 1st Half of April, that's what the 18z GFS is trying to do

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

3 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Massive fire southwest of me has already destroyed homes and is threatening to engulf the small town of Edison. Multiple departments trying to battle 60 mph winds with this fire. My gosh. 

Wow that is not far from you 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Massive fire southwest of me has already destroyed homes and is threatening to engulf the small town of Edison. Multiple departments trying to battle 60 mph winds with this fire. My gosh. 

From what I have heard from the news the fire still isn't contained. Just sickening what's going on with this situation. The plume that was showing up on radar was the most intense reflectivity I have ever seen in a fire. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madtown said:

Snow falling all day...no real accumulation....1-3" tonight down to 27atm high of 32 tomorrow

The beat of Ol' Man Winter hangs on....doesn't appear it wants to stop as an Easter Weekend storm is lurking...the result of a late season SSW event, blocking and our active wx pattern....man, this reminds me of April '17 so much but with the powerhouse storms this year.  What a friggin' wild pattern we are experiencing.  

Happy Good Friday...bundle up for those who will be heading to church...

image.png

0z Euro Snow Depth through next Friday...

image.png

The Long Standing idea of a Major Trough across the eastern CONUS is unfortunately panning out for Easter Weekend as the models are all pointing towards a major late season cold surge.  This is, in a unique and fascinating way, the end result of what happened in the STRAT way back in MAR.    The issue now is that we have high lat blocking and an energized jet stream that'll produce some wicked weather.  My goodness, but the 0z EPS is suggesting a lot of Snow up north...

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 45 and that happened just after midnight. The daylight hours seen temperatures in the 40 to 42 degree range for a cold raw April day. With clouds it did not get cold overnight and the low was above average at 38. The first 7 days of April have been wet, cool and cloudy. At Grand Rapids the mean for April is now 40.0 that is -2.9 below average. The high for the month so far is 56 and the low is 23. There has been 1.22" of precipitation that is above the average of 0.83. At Muskegon the mean is 40.1 that is -2.2 below average the high so far is 57 and the low 25. There has been 1.40" of precipitation there average there is 0.76". To the east at Lansing the mean there is 41.2 that is a departure of -1.2 the highest at Lansing so far is 59 and the lowest is 25 They have recorded 1.06" of  precipitation the average there is 0.38. After this cold weekend there looks to be what could be a brief warm up with more rain. April showers this year should bring a lot of May flowers.

Today is opening day for the Tigers (that is if they can get the game in) and it looks to be cool and wet. But that is normal for opening day at Detroit. Here are the game time temperatures for the past 7 years. 2021 37, 2020 84 but that was on July 27. 2019 39, 2018 39, 2017 42, 2016 38, 2015 52. So in the last 7 years the warmest was in 2020 with a July start day and the warmest with a April opening day was 52. That just shows you how cold Michigan is in April.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the dry weather, fires, have had deadly consequences.  Two first responders were hit by another vehicle in the smoke yesterday.  One has died and the other was life flighted to Omaha.  I know the man that was life flighted, and coached his son in junior high football and basketball.  Two school districts southwest of me, Southern Valley and Arapahoe are closed today to feed and give the responders from all the area a place to rest.  Please god, we need moisture.

https://nebraska.tv/news/local/fire-90-contained-in-gosper-and-furnas-county-roger-powell-arapahoe-elwood

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Unfortunately, the dry weather, fires, have had deadly consequences.  Two first responders were hit by another vehicle in the smoke yesterday.  One has died and the other was life flighted to Omaha.  I know the man that was life flighted, and coached his son in junior high football and basketball.  Two school districts southwest of me, Southern Valley and Arapahoe are closed today to feed and give the responders from all the area a place to rest.  Please god, we need moisture.

https://nebraska.tv/news/local/fire-90-contained-in-gosper-and-furnas-county-roger-powell-arapahoe-elwood

When tragedies strike close to home they inevitably make it feel worse.  Prayers for his family and sending healing vibes to the one fighter in the hospital.  🙏 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

When tragedies strike close to home they inevitably make it feel worse.  Prayers for his family and sending healing vibes to the one fighter in the hospital.  🙏 

Thanks for the kind words.  There are many people that I know that are continuing to try and and get the fire 100% contained.  Winds still gusting to 30 MPH with a temp in the mid 30's as of 10 AM.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

That's is completely unbelievable. WOW. 

I'm going to try and take a drive down there tomorrow.  My wife, son and I are going to the Husker Baseball game tonight in Lincoln, or I would have gone down there this afternoon.  I'll see if I can get some video clips of the fire damage tomorrow and post them.

• Like 2

The Euro had been showing 70s across Iowa Monday through Wednesday.  Now it's down to 50s Monday and Tuesday.  God this pattern sucks.  🤬

• Sick 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The long-range Euro is dreadful.  Yesterday's re-loading trough in the west is gone in favor of long-duration cold nw flow.  This morning's run has us struggling to get out of the 30s over Easter weekend.

• Sick 1
  • Downvote 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The long-range pattern makes me want to puke.  After we briefly warm up early to mid next week the Euro shows a replay of the last week.

• Downvote 2

On 4/4/2022 at 8:10 AM, Ferndale_man said:

2017 was a good year, we lived at Union Lake.  One of the best Christmas snows I can remember.  In November I think it was near 80s.  The. one day like a switch, winter hit early December.  Totally agree the last few have been snoozers for us in the metro area. 

Yes. I remember Christmas (2017) we were expecting guests over and it was a bitter cold Christmas Day w at least 6" or possibly more otg. I also remember my front glassdoor entrance had icicles on it, which made it have a gorgeous look to it (sorted fitted in w/ the holidays), but after that December, the following year, the switch turned off and mother nature decided to go w/ mild conditions and very little snow for each year.

How weird has this been, right?! Crazy.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

It is a blustery, cold April day here in S MI today w/ temps remaining in the 30s and yes, snowshowers flying around from time to time. Lows this evening will be dropping into the 20s. Really? Geez!

It does warm up next week, but turns cold again by next weekend w/ potential for more snowshowers or a mix.

Note: As of now, Detroit stands w/ above normal snowfall this past Winter 2021-22. More than last year, but not by much. Also,  accumulating snow can still occur, right into May, so will see how that goes. 

As for now..snowfall tally is 44.8."

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"