April 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

3 hours ago, Niko said:

A lot of records were broken this morning. My area was probably one of them. I even saw icicles hanging from roof-tops for crying out loud. I saw a clip of Chicago yesterday on the news and the reporter had on gloves and a scarf. Wc had to be biting atm especially w all the high buildings there and the wind was gusty too. So far, March and April were too cold and not much of any Spring yet. Wow. Hopefully May can give in some warmer weather. 

In the meantime, I am thinking AZ weather.....sunshine and warm temps. 😀

Had 29F on the car thermometer and large puddles from the heavy rainfall last Friday night mostly iced over. #stopthemadness!

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

HRRR is not picking up on this rain in Eastern Iowa this morning at all.  Finally the 16z run that is running now is getting rain as far south as Cedar Rapids, but it's been raining all the way down to about the MO border for the last couple of hours.  Another gloomy, dreary, wet day here.  It's a perfect night for my sand volleyball league, which starts up tonight...

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

Had 29F on the car thermometer and large puddles from the heavy rainfall last Friday night mostly iced over. #stopthemadness!

This is crazy stuff, Im telling ya!!!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I picked up 0.20" of rain this morning.  It has kept us very chilly, only now able to warm into the mid to upper 40s.  :(

Once again, sw IA is well into the 70s.

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 hour ago, bud2380 said:

All the way up to 64 in Iowa City.  Only 58 in Cedar Rapids.  

It turned into a pretty nice day once the rain and clouds cleared.  It's low 60s here in town with full sun and a modest wind.

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

On 4/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, Grizzcoat said:

meanwhile - in the Great North Woods of canoe country -

today's Modis looks like the dead of winter.

red square is Gabbro/Bald Eagle Lakes SE of Ely,MN-- I have a trip there in less than 3 weeks.

Rainy Lake far NW-- Lake Vermillion center. Over half of these lakes on avg should have open water now. Lakes closer to Superior will likely have ice the week leading up to Memorial Day weekend as things look now. Simply amazing.

image.png.27b7c39036e6ea38ce3a7377e0cdf8b8.png

You are not alone. I have heard of quite a few people the last few days come to the realization that many lakes up here are still going to have ice well into May.

2014 and 1996 ice outs are going to be about the only other years comparable to this year. 

Photo of lake of the woods (rocky point) from yesterday, no open water even hinting at showing yet.

IMG_20220427_172725519_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • scream 1

We’ve mostly decoupled tonight. Don’t think we’ll make it below freezing, though. Not cooling fast enough and sunrise is in less than 4 hours.

Currently 38.5°F as I get ready to doze off.

9 hours ago, Beltrami Island said:

You are not alone. I have heard of quite a few people the last few days come to the realization that many lakes up here are still going to have ice well into May.

2014 and 1996 ice outs are going to be about the only other years comparable to this year. 

Photo of lake of the woods (rocky point) from yesterday, no open water even hinting at showing yet.

IMG_20220427_172725519_HDR.jpg

That photo looks like your on the shores of Barrow, AK!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Meantime, current conditions in the valley of the sun…on the patio deck just working…

9018B89D-2648-4BF9-892F-1808B8C1BD97.jpeg

You and I are in the land of sun.  Texas had beautiful weather yesterday and will again today.  Some rain possibilities on near horizon, but it’s been a very nice spring in Texas. 
Enjoy that sun!  

• Thanks 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Some LR thoughts...

This Spring has been quite wet across most of IL but more importantly, the northern burbs of Chicago that were in an extreme drought are no longer present.  The way I see it as we get deeper into May and eventually the beginning of the Summer season, this wet pattern isn't going to back off.  I'm worried about multiple chances for long duration MCS, unusually strong SLP's that will come out of the N Rockies and track through the Upper MW/MW/GL's.  It's going to be a busy season I'm afraid around these parts.  The heat dome will eventually fire up in the West/SW and poke into the Plains as it usually does in the Summer allowing for "ridge riders" to be prevalent this summer season.  Could we see Heat?  Yup, I'm eyeballing a pretty stout flip in early/mid June over the eastern Sub.  The EC Ridge could very well fire up in June and some early season heat is on the table.  A similar year comes to mind, I can't remember if it was May of '19 or '18 where the GL's saw a major flip during Memorial Day weekend after a very cold/wet month of May.  Something similar I see happening but a bit delayed into June bc I don't see a very warm pattern during MDW over the GL's this year.  

Since FEB 27th...very generous amount of precip over a large part of this region...

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

47 minutes ago, Andie said:

You and I are in the land of sun.  Texas had beautiful weather yesterday and will again today.  Some rain possibilities on near horizon, but it’s been a very nice spring in Texas. 
Enjoy that sun!  

The land of the Sun....ahh yes, the joy it brings each and every day I see the sun rise above the mountains to me east.  I'll try to take some more pics out here and post them.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

While yesterday was warmer then Tuesday and Wednesday with a official high/low of 54/28 it was still well below average. The average high is now 64 for today and tomorrow and then the mid to upper 61's for the first week of May. After a brief warm up it now looks to fall below average for the start of May. In April 20 of the first 28 days have been below average. At the current time there are some broken clouds here and it is 45 the last reading at GRR was 43.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

The land of the Sun....ahh yes, the joy it brings each and every day I see the sun rise above the mountains to me east.  I'll try to take some more pics out here and post them.

What part of Az are you located.  My in-law family is in Tucson and some of my husbands uncles in Nogales.  
I'm more of a fan of Flagstaff and Sedona.  Give me green.  Deserts are not my thing.   

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

31 minutes ago, Andie said:

What part of Az are you located.  My in-law family is in Tucson and some of my husbands uncles in Nogales.  
I'm more of a fan of Flagstaff and Sedona.  Give me green.  Deserts are not my thing.   

I’m in the PHX valley just east of Scottsdale…

☀️🔥🥵😄

Last time I was in PHX I thought my hair had caught fire.  

112* is not my Cuppa’ !

• lol 1
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Would have loved this pattern during the winter.  Reminds me a little of the winter of 2018-2019.  Not complaining, as this will put a huge dent in the drought if it materializes. 

It would be great to have your drought busted by the middle of May.  I'm sure we'll have some long hot and dry stretches this summer, we usually do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Some LR thoughts...

This Spring has been quite wet across most of IL but more importantly, the northern burbs of Chicago that were in an extreme drought are no longer present.  The way I see it as we get deeper into May and eventually the beginning of the Summer season, this wet pattern isn't going to back off.  I'm worried about multiple chances for long duration MCS, unusually strong SLP's that will come out of the N Rockies and track through the Upper MW/MW/GL's.  It's going to be a busy season I'm afraid around these parts.  The heat dome will eventually fire up in the West/SW and poke into the Plains as it usually does in the Summer allowing for "ridge riders" to be prevalent this summer season.  Could we see Heat?  Yup, I'm eyeballing a pretty stout flip in early/mid June over the eastern Sub.  The EC Ridge could very well fire up in June and some early season heat is on the table.  A similar year comes to mind, I can't remember if it was May of '19 or '18 where the GL's saw a major flip during Memorial Day weekend after a very cold/wet month of May.  Something similar I see happening but a bit delayed into June bc I don't see a very warm pattern during MDW over the GL's this year.  

Since FEB 27th...very generous amount of precip over a large part of this region...

image.png

image.png

I hope you’re correct and I’m wrong re: active summer wx. 🙏 Would love a troughy, dynamic pattern with lots of convection, as opposed to a giant death ridge that shuts everything down.

Last summer was awesome for thunderstorms here because the death ridge was far enough west that s/w troughs could dive right into Appalachia and enhance the lee trough here, sparking tall convection almost each time.

My fear is that 4-corners/southern plains ridge will be equally large but slightly farther east this summer, roasting a good portion of the country, and send most of the good MCS activity well north of here. The behavior of the tropical convection/circulation(s) this spring has parallels to some very hot/dry years locally.

FWIW I’m only speaking of my region. Upper Midwest could be a totally different story.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a very pleasant day there was about 67% of the possible sunshine. The official high/low was 62/42 at Grand Rapids. For the month of April all of the reporting locations in Michigan will end up below average. I would like to point out that the 30 year mean at Grand Rapids is warmer than Muskegon, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw, But Grand Rapids 30 year mean is cooler than Detroit and Kalamazoo. 
The overnight low here at my house was 48 and at the current time it is cloudy and 50

• Like 1

First thunder in nearly 3 weeks. Hopefully the next several days give me more :P

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

My April rain total is 4.44".  March was also 4+, so we are off to a great start to spring.  Now we just need some consistent warmth.

• Like 3

• Guest unpinned this topic

Not sure how they come up with these "climate districts measurements" (it doesn't make sense to me) -- but either way- a cold to very cold April for many.

image.thumb.png.db35fd68b1ef0c46f2598d9c2261280a.png

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.