April 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

With a reported 9% of possible sunshine this has been the cloudiest start to April in recorded history at Grand Rapids. And with a mean of just 39.8 (-3.3 below average as of this date) and 1.33" of rain (+0.37) makes for a cloudy, cool and wet start to April 2022. 

We are due for some sunny days that is for sure. Cloudy and 40 here at the current time. We have started April on a cloudy, wet and cool side. The grass is now starting to green up and with how wet it has been it will soon be grass cutting time. 

• Like 1

88 today.  
windy. 17-28 mph.  
rain 0%

Very typical this time of year till sometime in May. However we have elevated fire threats.  With this wind it will whip up and travel. Much like Nebraska. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

47 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Just got done cutting the grass for the first time this year. Absolutely beautiful day with light winds for a change and a temp of 62.

Our grass isn't growing fast yet, just slowly turning green. We've had enough moisture lately, so prob due more to the cooler weather than anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

Dickinson, North Dakota has highs forecasted in the 20's with snow and even a forecast low of 9F!

image.thumb.png.71a5333d94bd335a894914413aeda515.png

Just a bit of snow being forecasted....

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blizzard conditions possible. Total snow
  accumulations between 10 and 20 inches possible. Winds could gust
  as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Most of western and central North Dakota.
  • Like 1
  • lol 2
  • Snow 1

Moved to an area with another airport that rarely reports what goes on at your place. It has lightly snowed, graupeled and hailed a few times today but all I get from KDWU is "Lt Rain" over that entire duration. 

Almost posted that on the complaint thread but nah, just here. ;)

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

59 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Our grass isn't growing fast yet, just slowly turning green. We've had enough moisture lately, so prob due more to the cooler weather than anything.

Same here, I just clipped it high. It seems very thin and we had a hard freeze again last night. 

• Like 1

Several large grass fires in the Des Moines vicinity-even rumor of apartment complex on fire in Urbandale but I cannot confirm that. Grassfires I can--- I can't imagine what it's like in NE.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

5 hours ago, Clinton said:

Same here, I just clipped it high. It seems very thin and we had a hard freeze again last night. 

We mow 160 properties  and haven't  mowed a single one.  Apparently  its going  to be a late start. After last falls dry conditions, a sub par snowfall season and now a late start to mowing can be frustrating. Soil temps tough time getting  above 45 so far. It seems most of usa has started  mowing?  But se iowa is a cool drain from minn n wisc!  In 2018 i believe  we didn't  mow any until april 29th! Was cold n dry!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Moved to an area with another airport that rarely reports what goes on at your place. It has lightly snowed, graupeled and hailed a few times today but all I get from KDWU is "Lt Rain" over that entire duration. 

Almost posted that on the complaint thread but nah, just here. ;)

Ashland regional airport, right? I’ve noticed their obs seem a bit off relative to those of adjacent areas.

• Excited 1

Yesterday, I woke up to a coating of snow and chilly temps in the low 30's with a glorious, albeit chilly sunrise.  We had back-to-back days of official Trace amounts of snow at ORD both on the 8th & 9th.  Are we done yet with this snow??  I don't really think so based on the LR trends.  In the meantime, I'm sooo looking forward to a whole days worth of sunshine and warmer temps in the mid/upper 50's.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Ashland regional airport, right? I’ve noticed their obs seem a bit off relative to those of adjacent areas.

KDWU is a fully automated airport when it comes to weather -- ie. -- no input from humans. It will not detect hail, ice pellets , small hail (graupel) and many other hydrometerors that a human would detect and report. The list is nearly endless.   Fully auto  based sites also have NO CLUE with any type of mixed  precip (more than one)  --  they will only report one form and it's usually UP. Which means "unknown precip"  Sites that are LAWRS (Limited Aviation Weather Reporting Station) have ATC that are "supposed" to augment the weather and add such things as I posted above. But per FAA regs- they cannot go outside and leave the ATC Cab. Hence- they do little if anything to augment the weather and let it ride to fully auto.  Your best sites for weather reporting are those sites (larger airports) that have a professional weather observer (CWO) thats sole purpose is to report the weather and nothing else. Very important in IFR and LIFR condidtions when ATC is allready very busy and stressed out. 

KCRW is your best bet, not as local as you might want- but 1000 times better than some automated crap. Been my job for 25 years and counting. It's sad that automation is trying to take over the aviation and weather field when its obvious it's not as good or even close to what the human eye can do .  All about the $$--- but when safety gets mentioned , lawmakers go nuts .

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The official high in Grand Rapids yesterday was just 40. The official overnight low was 24. That 24 is one of the coldest lows recorded for any April 24th. So far the month of April at Grand Rapids has a mean of 39.2  for Grand Rapids that is a departure of -4.0 according to the NWS. At the current time it is sunny and 33 here. After a brief warm up it looks to once again turn colder for later next week. The warmest so far this April has been 56 and the coldest so far is 23. While it did reach 67 way back on March 17 the last time it reached 60 or better was on March 21st. It has yet to officially reach 70 or better at Grand Rapids. The average date for that 1st 70 at GR is April 4th

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm sooo looking forward to a whole days worth of sunshine and warmer temps in the mid/upper 50's

According to a local TV met here in Grand Rapids there has only been 7% of possible sunshine in the last 11 days, 13% in the last 17 days and only 4 days in the last 17 with no rain or snow. 

• Sad 1
  • Snow 1
  • Sick 1

Monday- Wind/Possible Storms   

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) — Get ready for a super windy Sunday as southerly winds are sustained at 20-30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. 

A wind advisory has been issued from 9 a.m. Sunday until 12 a.m. Monday for most of North Texas. Temperatures will also be soaring with highs in the upper 80s for the metroplex and low 90s west of I-35. 

A strong cap will be in place tomorrow, hindering storm chances, but a few may develop in the late afternoon and evening hours. 

The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has put most of North Texas under a slight risk of severe storms Monday afternoon/evening. Large hail and damaging winds are the main threats with these storms. 

If the cap is broken, the storms will likely become severe. As of now, storm initiation is around 4 p.m.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

13 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

We mow 160 properties  and haven't  mowed a single one.  Apparently  its going  to be a late start. After last falls dry conditions, a sub par snowfall season and now a late start to mowing can be frustrating. Soil temps tough time getting  above 45 so far. It seems most of usa has started  mowing?  But se iowa is a cool drain from minn n wisc!  In 2018 i believe  we didn't  mow any until april 29th! Was cold n dry!

I have a mowing business also and I haven’t started on one single yard. To me things won’t be ready to be mowed for at least a couple weeks. Last year at this time I was mowing last week already!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

I have a mowing business also and I haven’t started on one single yard. To me things won’t be ready to be mowed for at least a couple weeks. Last year at this time I was mowing last week already!

I mowed to pay my way through college and had 10 yards I mowed for extra money up until about 5 years ago. Normally by now my yard is green. This is my yard this morning. I have underground sprinklers and have my yard professionally treated 5 times a season. 

CF952BFC-1AB0-45A8-9285-E99BBC3373E9.jpeg

• Storm 1
  • Sick 3

56 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I mowed to pay my way through college and had 10 yards I mowed for extra money up until about 5 years ago. Normally by now my yard is green. This is my yard this morning. I have underground sprinklers and have my yard professionally treated 5 times a season. 

Same here, I have my yard treated, sprinklers and everything. Yard looks just like that. It also didn't help with all the foot traffic all over my yard! I'm very concerned this could be a bad year in the mowing department for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

Same here, I have my yard treated, sprinklers and everything. Yard looks just like that. It also didn't help with all the foot traffic all over my yard! I'm very concerned this could be a bad year in the mowing department for me. 

May not need to be mowed as often means less money for you. Of course fuel prices are up, so that adds to your costs as well. Just bad news everywhere you turn. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

It’s in its way fast. Low 90’s today.  

5989091C-1BD5-45ED-A4B3-7F608A0866D7.jpeg

• Like 3

With our (No Tx) early warmth and rain we get to enjoy a lush Southern Spring. 

Not hot enough for Crepe Myrtles, but they'll be leafing in a few week and blooming by late April.  I have to get out there today to fertilize.  If you caught any photos from the Master's Golf Tournament, it is lush to the point of obscene with everything blossoming.

It's not far off.

Just a note regarding spring in general.

I've had this crazy Mockingbird on the top of my chimney all afternoon chirping his cotton pickin' brains out.  Echos through the house!

No news here....It's Spring! 😂

Cloudy, windy, gusts to 40mph, Humidity 50%,  High of 88*

• lol 2

Today really over-performed compared to what models were suggesting a couple days ago.  For days it looked like upper 50s today, but recently got bumped up to low to mid 60s.  We reached at least 68º this afternoon, with the stations in town reporting 70º.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

1 hour ago, Andie said:

Just a note regarding spring in general.

I've had this crazy Mockingbird on the top of my chimney all afternoon chirping his cotton pickin' brains out.  Echos through the house!

No news here....It's Spring! 😂

Cloudy, windy, gusts to 40mph, Humidity 50%,  High of 88*

At one of the apartments I lived at in Hillsboro Oregon, we had a woodpecker that would end up on the chimney and peck away at it. I had the upstairs unit so it was loud like a machine gun! 😝

• lol 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Cedar Rapids did, officially, hit 70º today, our second 70 of the season.  We had not even risen above the mid 50s since March 21st.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

D**n. The 00Z GFS has 3 major snow storms for the region in the next 11 days. Whether it's correct, ?? but still crazy seeing it on the GFS.

• Like 2

0z Euro....Easter Snow along the I-80 corridor???  Yikes!  Ugly, ugly pattern...late season blocking doing its work on our Sub's pattern in the LR pattern and couple that with a hyper active N PAC jet we find ourselves in a unique wx pattern.  I could see NE scoring moisture out of this pattern as we head deeper into APR.  My gut says the 2nd half of APR will deliver the goods for the central Plains.

image.png

2.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 2

I went outside about an hour ago and it actually felt a bit balmy as we are situated in the warm tongue.  The temp was 59F but it has now dropped into the low 50's as the CF approaches.  Sunday was a picture perfect day, albeit a bit gusty, the sunshine made up for it.  My goodness, its amazing what the sun can do to your psyche, esp since the stretch o abnormally cloudy, dreary and cold days we have endured.  70's look like a good bet on Wednesday over here and a severe wx threat...

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Storm 1