April 2022 Observations & Discussions

Iceresistance

It is a balmy, humid and Spring-like morning here with a very comfy 68F/60F...I went out on my deck and I will say it finally "feels" and "smells" like Spring...hopefully we get more sunshine today than what the models are suggesting.

• Like 1

The period post 24th has my attention for several reasons, non more-so, than for our friends in NE who are in dire need of moisture.  The system showing up late month is poised to get blocked up and I'm beginning to feel more confident that a warmer and wetter pattern will evolve later next week to close out April.  It's starting to look like Ol' Man Winter's last wrath is delivering with this powerhouse Blizzard that will leave its mark on the Upper MW.  The system for Easter will prob deliver some snow but just some nuisance stuff...who's complaining?

1.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 6

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 67 The overnight low at GRR was 60 and that was the low here at my house as well. If it can stay at 60 or above until midnight (it may or may not) then it would be the 2nd warmest minimum for any April 13th at Grand Rapids. At the current time it is 62 here at my house and mostly cloudy.

• Like 1

Cedar Rapids officially rose to 69º late last evening ahead of the front.  It'll be 9-10 days before we see temps like that again.

Our trees and shrubs are beginning to bud, but the growth will be very slow over the next week as we get stuck with daily 40s.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Low of 55 this morning with 100% humidity. It lightly rained a little bit ago and is upper 60's from 72 an hour ago.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It has been sleeting this afternoon.  There are now snow flakes mixing in as our temp has fallen to 34º.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Snow is falling on the far south side of Cedar Rapids.  

Yeah, it has changed to all snow.

It snowed decently for a while, but the ground is too warm for any accumulation.

The relative humdity is still at 28% at 1 am. The dryness this year has been very noticeable, afternoons are regularly below 25%. Usually those days are few and far between. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

2 hours ago, snowstorm83 said:

The relative humdity is still at 28% at 1 am. The dryness this year has been very noticeable, afternoons are regularly below 25%. Usually those days are few and far between. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens as we roll into May and see if the moisture is able to make its way towards your region.  I'm really curious to see how the humidity will play a role this summer...I guess it all depends on how the crop turns out and how wet/dry the soils end up being after this Spring.

• Like 1

The official high at Grand Rapids yesterday was 67.  It has reached 67 on 3 days this year so far and that is the warmest it has official been this year in GR so far. The average date of the 1st 70 day at GR is April 4th the latest date is May 3, 1950. There was 0.77" of rain fall in MBY yesterday and the overnight low here fell to 34 at this time with clear skies it it 36. While there is a wind advisory for today at this time it is not windy at all. But it still looks to be a cold Easter weekend. With the warm temperatures the last couple of days and all of the rain the grass is now nice and green and more spring flowers are now popping up.

• Like 3

The Ensembles are showing yet another western trough for the 2nd half of April, it appears we may get above normal rainfall totals for that time period as well, this may also include you @CentralNebWeather.

• Like 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

7 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The Ensembles are showing yet another western trough for the 2nd half of April, it appears we may get above normal rainfall totals for that time period as well, this may also include you @CentralNebWeather.

I like what I’m seeing and this should deliver much needed moisture into the central at belt region.  I’m also getting more confident that in May Mother Nature will turn on the water hose for a lot of peeps in the central plains.

• Rain 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

I like what I’m seeing and this should deliver much needed moisture into the central at belt region.  I’m also getting more confident that in May Mother Nature will turn on the water hose for a lot of peeps in the central plains.

The SOI index is unusually positive right now, and I'm not liking the summer looks unless it crashes big time.

This is absolutely amazing to finally see this over us for once! @CentralNebWeather@OmahaSnowFan@Hawkeye @Clinton@Andie@snowstorm83@bud2380@hawkstwelve

precip_probhazards_d8_14_contours.thumb.png.0539f31bc0246d6fba1ec01533c22247.png

(Apologies in advance for the lots to mention, but still, a very promising 2nd half of April!)

• Like 6
  • Excited 1
  • Rain 1

15 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

This is absolutely amazing to finally see this over us for once! @CentralNebWeather@OmahaSnowFan@Hawkeye @Clinton@Andie@snowstorm83@bud2380@hawkstwelve

precip_probhazards_d8_14_contours.thumb.png.0539f31bc0246d6fba1ec01533c22247.png

(Apologies in advance for the lots to mention, but still, a very promising 2nd half of April!)

I'm hoping the 2 big storms to close out April will put a dent in Nebraskas drought but they have repelled water for months straight.  Let's cross our fingers!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

I'm hoping the 2 big storms to close out April will put a dent in Nebraskas drought but they have repelled water for months straight.  Let's cross our fingers!

Until moisture is actually falling, I will reserve judgment.  We have been teased so many times that didn't materialize, that we've lost count, especially in the Central part of the state.  The blizzard hitting North Dakota was showing up to hit here on the Euro last week.  It ultimately moved 2 states north with the heavy snow.  I apologize for the negativity, but when I've been fooled this many times by the models and forecasts, I will remain skeptical.  At some point the drought will break, the question is when.

• Like 5

Never dropped below 70°F here last night. Stayed well mixed the entire time.

Had a quick burst of 40-50mph winds and light rain with the cold front this afternoon. Tonight should be much cooler, but next two days should still make it into the low 70s.

Happy Good Friday everyone!  #TGIF...The winds were pretty wild yesterday.  It felt like a relentless onslaught from nature.  ORD's peak wind gust hit 59mph and there was a lot of tree damage around the city and burbs. 

Well, aside from the Upper MW, many of our members will bask in real summer time warmth late next week into the weekend as a hard cutter is in the works.  That means, you guessed it, another "Dakota's Special"...Ol' Man Winter not letting go for those up north...we will welcome Earth Day (24th) with a potential large storm system yet again for the central CONUS.  Blocking is going to be rather expansive and it will be interesting watching this storm system unfold.

image.gif

1.gif

• Like 4
  • Sun 1

Yesterday was a good example of on some days timing is everything. A cold front went thru the area around mindsight. It came thru Grand Rapids before and to the east after midnight. That said the official high at Grand Rapids was just 49 (it was 48 at Muskegon) while to the east at Lansing it was 62 and at Detroit it was 67. The current and overnight low in MBY was/is 39 and at this time it is windy with partly cloudy skies to go with that 39.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Happy Good Friday everyone!  #TGIF...The winds were pretty wild yesterday.  It felt like a relentless onslaught from nature.  ORD's peak wind gust hit 59mph and there was a lot of tree damage around the city and burbs. 

Well, aside from the Upper MW, many of our members will bask in real summer time warmth late next week into the weekend as a hard cutter is in the works.  That means, you guessed it, another "Dakota's Special"...Ol' Man Winter not letting go for those up north...we will welcome Earth Day (24th) with a potential large storm system yet again for the central CONUS.  Blocking is going to be rather expansive and it will be interesting watching this storm system unfold.

image.gif

1.gif

Getting a little ridiculous for even up this way...19 degrees atm ended up with about 3" 20"+ of ice on most every lake. Ice out is normally now. looks like snow cover till the start of May!

• Like 2
  • scream 2

Cloudy with a air temperature of 43 and a wind chill of 34. In the last 10 years Good Friday dates have ranged from March 25 in 2013 to April 19 in 2019. This year will be one of the coldest Good Fridays in the last 10 years. The temperature range has been from a high of 65 on April 14 2017 to a low of 42 on April 10 2020. In the last 10 years there have been 3 in the 60's 3 in the 50's 3 in the 3 in the 40's this year will be the 4th in the 40's.

• Like 1