Politics Thread v5.0

Andie

On 4/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, TT-SEA said:

Pathetic response.

These things don't have to be nearly as big of a problem as they are in Seattle.  Its the direct result of runaway liberalism.    Pure and simple.    Look at Bellevue if you want an example.   Its right across the bridge and a totally different world.   Seattle screwed itself with the defund the police crap and endorsing de-criminalization of actual crimes which are now running rampant.    It so obvious.   Your 'whataboutism' is comical and offers insight into why Seattle is in this mess instead of cleaning it up.    

To be fair, you keep bringing up Bellevue as an example of how Seattle should be - but it's always been a much different world than Seattle, for various reasons.

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

To be fair, you keep bringing up Bellevue as an example of how Seattle should be - but it's always been a much different world than Seattle, for various reasons.

And the main reason is that they enforce laws and don't allow homeless encampments and graffiti to run rampant.      Its a major city literally a couple away from the complete mess in Seattle.    Elected officials in Bellevue run campaigns with the message of being the opposite of Seattle.     And for good reason.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Longtimer

I find myself becoming more and more disengaged with our political system. 99% of our political discourse is theater and pure nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Elections have become clown shows.  
There are no statesmen/women left.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

A Texas National Guardsman is missing tonight after attempting to rescue a woman crossing the Rio. 
So far only his body armor and Walkie have been found on the River bank where he left it.  
The Rio runs very swift this time of year with deep currents.  It’s incredibly dangerous and the government is risking everyone’s lives.  This will grow worse when Title 42 lifts. 

DC is deaf to the information coming out of the valley and clearly don’t care about the security and safety of the nation.  Already they’ve stopped over 40 individuals on the terror list.  How many got away?  
The Guardsman’s body is still missing tonight.   

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

9 hours ago, einsteinjr said:

It's seeming more and more likely that desantis is going to be the de facto 2024 nominee if trump doesn't run.

I sure bet he secretly wishes trump got impeached so he couldn't run.

I can deal with DeSantis.   At least he can speak like a normal person and he is not 80 years old.     He is pretty far right... but I like how he stands up to the cancel culture warriors on the left.    

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My hopes that DeSantis will run are being bruised right now.  A close adviser (Economic adviser) to Trump just said he’s more and more convinced Trump is running this next time. 
If true, DeSantis will wait till next time.
😕 

Kevin McCarthy will be truly bummed out.  He hates Trump and he’d be Speaker. (But he is a bit of a weenie)

I can’t stay silent on this.  

The Rio Grande is up and the currents are deadly. Stretches are shallower but it’s Spring and upstream rain is swelling the Rio.  One Texas official is already dead trying to save a woman in the flooded river. She lived. 

The US govt officials are negligent and responsible for every death in the river and deserts.  Hundreds of infants have been abandoned to die horrible deaths or be victims to predators.  
Imagine this. 

This is ALL on the shoulders of an Administration guilty of Dereliction of Duty and they should be prosecuted! 

I see this everyday here. Texas news outlets are heavy with this details and ignored by many national news outlets. I’m just furious and they will multiply in May when they expect 250,000/month.  That’s 3 million a year.  
It’s an unprecedented US invasion of undocumented people. Will they ALL be Friendlies? 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:23 PM, TT-SEA said:

I can deal with DeSantis.   At least he can speak like a normal person and he is not 80 years old.     He is pretty far right... but I like how he stands up to the cancel culture warriors on the left.    

DeSantis is not much better than Trump.  Just watched an interview with the tax collector for Orange County FL, and he said that Disney pays property tax the same as everyone else, but they also maintain the roads, police and fire department for the Reedy Creek Improvement District.  They will no longer be able to do that, nor will they be on the hook for ~160M in debt.  Orange County will not see any additional tax revenue, but will be saddled with all of this debt, and have to figure out how to cover the public services that Disney provided. 

The only consolation is they have a year to try to figure something out, but as it is now, Orange County is very limited on the methods they have to cover that debt.  So, all DeSantis managed to do in his efforts to stick it to Disney is f*ck over central Florida.  

Also, the "book ban" that Desantis is pushing is b*llshit to the point that even Fox News is asking for proof.  So far the "proof" that has been offered  by DeSantis and team is false.

I agree with you that the cancel culture warriors from the left are a huge problem, but I don't think, DeSantis, Trump,or any of the other extreme wingnuts on the right are the solution.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other solution to offer other than to load them all in a boat, float them out to the middle of the Atlantic and pull the plug.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 7:34 AM, Andie said:

My hopes that DeSantis will run are being bruised right now.  A close adviser (Economic adviser) to Trump just said he’s more and more convinced Trump is running this next time. 
If true, DeSantis will wait till next time.
😕 

Kevin McCarthy will be truly bummed out.  He hates Trump and he’d be Speaker. (But he is a bit of a weenie)

Trump is starting to drop some hints about his health, and he has looked even worse than he usually does over the past few weeks.  Usually when he starts dropping hints like that there is some truth to it.

He is in a tough spot (not that I feel sorry for him one bit).  Unless he can emulate Putin's level of control and "yes men" in our own government, I don't think he wants to run.  However, as long as he hints that he will run, he can keep fleecing his minions for millions, and he can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants with the money.  That's the motivation for him to keep the idea out there that he might run.  Once he declares he is running, the accounting rules change drastically, so he will want to put that off as long as he can.

On the flip side, if it get to a point where criminal charges for any of the numerous investigations are imminent, I'm betting he would immediately throw his hat in the ring thinking he would be "untouchable" as a candidate.

• Like 1

I don’t think he should run.  Sure China and Russia would back off but they’d be leery of any Republican Pres.  He’s better off as a rally point and money raiser. 

The southern border is getting ready to blow up and nothing can stop it.  A half million/month. We can’t process that. We won’t know what we have and trouble is coming to the lower 48. Many for some reason say they’re going to Fla.  Must be the land of milk and honey.  

On 4/13/2022 at 3:59 PM, TT-SEA said:

These things don't have to be nearly as big of a problem as they are in Seattle.  Its the direct result of runaway liberalism.    Pure and simple.    Look at Bellevue if you want an example.   Its right across the bridge and a totally different world.   Seattle screwed itself with the defund the police crap and endorsing de-criminalization of actual crimes which are now running rampant.    It so obvious.   Your 'whataboutism' is comical and offers insight into why Seattle is in this mess instead of cleaning it up.    

Can you please point to the evidence that Seattle has homeless and graffiti because of runaway liberalism?  How exactly can you be so confident? 

And it's not whataboutism if I'm trying to tell you there are other major factors to homelessness and crime besides politics.  This is a fact and has everything to do with what's happening in Seattle and elsewhere.

Pointing to other cities who have similar problems but don't have Extreme liberalism issues should at least give you pause to think about what you are claiming to be 100% true with literally zero evidence so far.

It's not my fault you won't listen.

15 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

Can you please point to the evidence that Seattle has homeless and graffiti because of runaway liberalism?  How exactly can you be so confident? 

It's in LA that is the worst.

Never day Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

41 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

https://www.hbo.com/we-own-this-city

Should be a good mini series if you liked The Wire.

Wire was amazing. Can never convince any of my friends to watch it since they think it’s “too boring”. Lot of people just don’t want to commit to shows that make you have to think and really pay attention I guess. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, einsteinjr said:

And it's not whataboutism if I'm trying to tell you there are other major factors to homelessness and crime besides politics.  This is a fact and has everything to do with what's happening in Seattle and elsewhere.

Pointing to other cities who have similar problems but don't have Extreme liberalism issues should at least give you pause to think about what you are claiming to be 100% true with literally zero evidence so far.

Politics plays a huge role.    Defunding the police and creating a hostile environment for law enforcement and then deciding not to prosecute property crimes were all massive mistakes.   These were part of a liberal agenda.    The results speak for themselves.    No idea how you are anyone else ever thought those were good ideas.    Summer of Love right?    

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:58 AM, hawkstwelve said:

I'm sensing a theme here...

Indianapolis - Democrat

Portland - Very Democrat

Tucson - Democrat

Albuquerque - Democrat

Austin - Very Democrat

Baton Rouge - Democrat

St. Paul - Very Democrat

Louisville - Democrat

Toledo - Democrat

Columbus - Pretty Democrat

Philadelphia - Very Democrat

Rochester - Democrat

Huh, that's weird. Per that article, quite literally not a single city whose homicide rates hit all-time records is run by a Republican. Probably just a coincidence, yeah?

1 hour ago, einsteinjr said:

You conveniently didn't respond to it at the time, but my response to your post with the top 12 cities in the USA with homicide rates hitting all-time highs pretty much tells you all you need to know. Not a single city within that list had a Republican mayor. Not one.

I mean.... unless you chalk that up to just being a giant coincidence, not sure how you could spin that any way other than liberal policies not working in most of our major cities. I'm sure you will find some abstract way to blame Republicans though so have at it. 

• Like 5

Weather station: https://sodakweather.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SoDakWx

• Longtimer
On 4/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, einsteinjr said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/21/disney-special-district-florida-taxpayers-could-face-a-1-billion-debt-bomb-if-dissolved.html 

That's a lot of money to score political points with your base.

That's a lot of money to score points from your base

There is no price tag on doing the right thing.

• Longtimer
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

You conveniently didn't respond to it at the time, but my response to your post with the top 12 cities in the USA with homicide rates hitting all-time highs pretty much tells you all you need to know. Not a single city within that list had a Republican mayor. Not one.

I mean.... unless you chalk that up to just being a giant coincidence, not sure how you could spin that any way other than liberal policies not working in most of our major cities. I'm sure you will find some abstract way to blame Republicans though so have at it. 

So far Portland is keeping pace with 2021s record homicide #s. Already well past the total for all of 2019. #newnormal

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Sad 1

• Longtimer
49 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Elon bought Twitter 

So glad to see an African American with so much influence. 

• lol 1

• Longtimer
7 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

There is no price tag on doing the right thing.

Call me the perma-cynic, but uncut political gamesmanship is never the right thing. I don’t mind Desantis, but this whole thing knocks him down a couple pegs for me. Pure pandering to the base and legislation that won’t hold up to a moderate breeze constitutionally.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Politics plays a huge role.    Defunding the police and creating a hostile environment for law enforcement and then deciding not to prosecute property crimes were all massive mistakes.   These were part of a liberal agenda.    The results speak for themselves.    No idea how you are anyone else ever thought those were good ideas.    Summer of Love right?    

I don’t think it’s fair to lump liberals in with leftists/the far left. Very different ideologies.

And what you’re describing in Seattle is better described as anarchism than liberal/leftist. Most far left governments gravitate to authoritarianism…“defund the police” is the inverse of that. Still a destructive and moronic idea/policy, but I don’t think the definition fits. 

• Like 1

• Longtimer
53 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Call me the perma-cynic, but uncut political gamesmanship is never the right thing. I don’t mind Desantis, but this whole thing knocks him down a couple pegs for me. Pure pandering to the base and legislation that won’t hold up to a moderate breeze constitutionally.

I see it as a largely meaningless culture war salvo. Conservatives don't have the infrastructure to defeat Disney, as much as I would love to see it. Thousands hours of meaningless entertainment to replace... 

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don’t think it’s fair to lump liberals in with leftists/the far left. Very different ideologies.

And what you’re describing in Seattle is better described as anarchism than liberal/leftist. Most far left governments gravitate to authoritarianism…“defund the police” is the inverse of that. Still a destructive and moronic idea/policy, but I don’t think the definition fits. 

Call it whatever you want... but its the liberals who thought it was soooo important to defund the police and stop prosecuting crimes.  As if that was ever going to work.   And they now they sit in the mess they made.    

• Longtimer
2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

So far Portland is keeping pace with 2021s record homicide #s. Already well past the total for all of 2019. #newnormal

And what's interesting is that the rest of the metro area has seen no appreciable uptick in homicides the last two years. Definitely seems to be a big city thing.

57 minutes ago, Phil said:

Perhaps, but the people pushing those policies were Democrats. And that's a big part of why that party is in big trouble these mid terms.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

56 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Call it whatever you want... but its the liberals who thought it was soooo important to defund the police and stop prosecuting crimes.  As if that was ever going to work.   And they now they sit in the mess they made.    

I agree. I just don’t consider them to be liberals. 

4 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Seattle’s new far right mayor is out of control and trying to bully Jay’s DOT.

Good for him... nice to see!

Screw Jay Inslee.    We would never have seen Durkan taking a stand like that. 

13 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

With less police the "trained Marxists" of the left/BLM would have less resistance to carry on the 2nd Bolshevik revolution. That's what CHAZ/CHOP was really all about.

dude....can you please stop with this nonsense?  You are slowly turning back into what you were doing before you got banned from the off-topic section.

8 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

dude....can you please stop with this nonsense?  You are slowly turning back into what you were doing before you got banned from the off-topic section.

The problem is, to conspiracy theory believers (and extremists of all ilks, whose ranks are growing exponentially), it's not "nonsense." To them, these are obvious truths, and they are honestly perplexed as to why no one but them can see the facts. Anyone who attempts to get them to moderate their viewpoints is either hopelessly ignorant, or part of the conspiracy.

As I shared on another thread, this makes me really, really concerned about the future.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

I didn't respond because all you did was point out something that has been true for decades - democrats run big cities.  

The original reason I sent those 10 cities was to refute Tim's claim that Seattle was somehow unique due to their "political extremism".

6 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

The problem is, to conspiracy theory believers (and extremists of all ilks, whose ranks are growing exponentially), it's not "nonsense." To them, these are obvious truths, and they are honestly perplexed as to why no one but them can see the facts. Anyone who attempts to get them to moderate their viewpoints is either hopelessly ignorant, or part of the conspiracy.

As I shared on another thread, this makes me really, really concerned about the future.

Yep - and the irony is that this is something many sides agree on, just for completely different reasons.

America has almost certainly reached its peak.

• Longtimer
1 minute ago, einsteinjr said:

Yep - and the irony is that this is something many sides agree on, just for completely different reasons.

America has almost certainly reached its peak.

Look we found more common ground. We've definitely entered a period of social collapse which transcends the red state/blue state bickering. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

I didn't respond because all you did was point out something that has been true for decades - democrats run big cities.  

The original reason I sent those 10 cities was to refute Tim's claim that Seattle was somehow unique due to their "political extremism".

That's an odd excuse. So because Democrats run big cities it's now a given that they will be included on the all-time highest homicide list? That's good to know we are making that automatic connection. I thought maybe a Democrat run city (no matter how many there are) would have been given the benefit of the doubt and not assumed to be a leader in homicides. Maybe we agree more than I thought!

Also, of the 100 largest cities in America, 26 are run by Republican mayors. I wonder why we don't assume any of those will be included on future all-time highest homicide lists?

It seems a theme to a lot of folks on here thinks that if we just add more police officers, things would suddenly be better.

I personally don't want to live in a police-state where someone is stationed every block to watch for graffiti. 

IMO we do need more police officers…but an exponential increase won’t do much if they’re heavily restricted with these new laws. We need to actually start prosecuting violent crimes and theft instead of just letting it happen. The current approach isn’t working. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

43 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

That's an odd excuse. So because Democrats run big cities it's now a given that they will be included on the all-time highest homicide list? That's good to know we are making that automatic connection. I thought maybe a Democrat run city (no matter how many there are) would have been given the benefit of the doubt and not assumed to be a leader in homicides. Maybe we agree more than I thought!

Strawman.  Not what I said.  You are the one correlating 2 things (Murder rates & political tribe) with no evidence to back up the idea that Democratic policies are the root-cause to murders.

If there is a nationwide crime problem, the stats are going to disproportionally affect mayors with a D by their name.  It just a matter of math.

49 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Also, of the 100 largest cities in America, 26 are run by Republican mayors. I wonder why we don't assume any of those will be included on future all-time highest homicide lists?

I did a spot check and every city in the top 100 has a significantly higher murder rate per capita that the national average.  I don't think murderers are thinking about what party the mayor is associated with when committing the crime.  Or thinking about the budget of the police force.

• Longtimer
18 minutes ago, einsteinjr said:

It seems a theme to a lot of folks on here thinks that if we just add more police officers, things would suddenly be better.

I personally don't want to live in a police-state where someone is stationed every block to watch for graffiti. 

This is a very lazy, glib take on the situation. Very similar to someone saying of violent encounters with police that if “suspects” would have just complied from the beginning, it never would have happened.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Strawman.  Not what I said.  You are the one correlating 2 things (Murder rates & political tribe) with no evidence to back up the idea that Democratic policies are the root-cause to murders.

If there is a nationwide crime problem, the stats are going to disproportionally affect mayors with a D by their name.  It just a matter of math.

I did a spot check and every city in the top 100 has a significantly higher murder rate per capita that the national average.  I don't think murderers are thinking about what party the mayor is associated with when committing the crime.  Or thinking about the budget of the police force.

To the first bold - Except for the fact that every top 12 city in all-time homicides was Democrat. Again, I guess you are just chalking that up to coincidence? Or wait no, you said it's because most big cities are run by Democrats so of course they would make up the list with all-time homicide rates. Still think that is a very odd excuse to use considering you're a Democrat but I guess you don't really have anything else to point to.

To the second bold - Murderers aren't, but the Democrats that run the cities are i.e. budget cuts. Mayoral policies can and do affect the crime rate in their cities. Not sure how or why that is being debated? Are you arguing that mayoral policies (and by extension, political affiliation) has no correlation to homicide rates? Because I thought you shared that list with Tim to prove that 'political extremism' isn't a link to high crime rates? So the list can be used to show your point but not the same point when it's flipped around? 

9 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Ignoring the fact that local vs. state level policies are completely different animals (which I was debating the former with einstein) anytime I see a "think tank" used as a source, it pretty much loses all credibility. There is always an agenda think thanks are trying to push however "center" they try and label themselves.

So instead, let's look at CDC data: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/homicide_mortality/homicide.htm

Of the 19 states with the highest homicide mortality rates, 8 are run by Democrats and 11 are run by Republicans. Certainly doesn't paint the clear picture of a "Republican state problem" like that article tries to suggest. 

• Like 1